Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tool

19 replies to this topic

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,432 posts

Not sure if any fans here. . .possibly Met? 

But after 13 years we finally get the new album of 30th of August and today, they finally launched their backlog on streaming services. I forgot how good Lateralus was until today and definitely having some angsty teenage flashbacks.  

• Ryn and El Chalupacabra +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Validating
  • 8,857 posts

• Ryn +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,719 posts
I bought Undertow when I was in college. I liked A Perfect Circle a little more.
  • Ryn +1 this

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,832 posts
I was waiting until midnight to so I could start streaming their albums. I’m so stoked, it’s about time. Thrilled for their new album. Saw them live for the 5th time back in May, and they never disappoint.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts
Yes!!!

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,432 posts

The new track has not disappointed at all thankfully. 

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,832 posts
Its so good isnt it? It only one track, but I really enjoy Maynards vocals. Over the years he doesnt scream as much as he used to live, and I remember reading or watching an interview where he said hes changing his vocal range because he just cant do that **** anymore. But I love it.
  • Dark Wader +1 this

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,432 posts

Yeah I'm in the same boat. He is over 50 now so the fact he still screams now and then live is impressive enough as it is. I'd rather he not do something on the album he can't replicate live anyway. 

But even though I love Maynard, Danney Carey is what matters most for me and he definitely has not lost any potency. Reminded me a lot of Reflection in some parts which is in no way a bad thing considering Lateralus is one of the greatest albums ever made. 

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,432 posts

Worth the wait imo. Beautiful heavy and brilliant. 

XMinusOne

XMinusOne

• New Members
  • 7 posts

It's pretty good but I prefer APC a lot more.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,562 posts

I took a listen to all the pre-released tracks, and I was like "man, that's definitely a Tool song."

Which... isn't bad, but I guess I was maybe expecting a little more evolution to the sound after so many years and other musical projects?

I also prefer APC, and there are some Puscifer songs that I would rank higher in sheer listen-ability than Tool, as well, but that definitely doesn't mean I dislike Tool. It's just a specific kind of music for a specific head state for me.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,432 posts
Yeah I can see that - personally I felt they have evolved a lot and done a lot of new things while still retaining that “Tool” sound. It was a good hybrid of Lateralus & 10,000 Days.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,562 posts
... yeah, Im definitely hearing it as Im listening to Descending now. Why didnt they lead with this one?

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts
Tool fans make it really hard to like Tool... kinda like Vegans and Crossfit jocks.
  • Iceheart, Darth Krawlie, David and 1 other +1 this

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,832 posts
Theres Tool fans, and then theres THOSE Tool fans. And I completely agree.

With me, Im just a Tool fan. As for this album, its been well worth the 13 year wait. Danny, Adam, and Justin are highlighted on this album like no other album before this one. Maynard is vulnerable in his lyrics. This is a band that has evolved from their last album and have put the last 13 years in perspective on this album. Do I think its their last album together? I dont think so. But its definitely a band that knows that their time is limited. Everyone outside of Justin is 60 or damn near it.

As for songs, Invincible and Descending are the 2 songs that stick out the most for me. And its hard to just call them songs. Theyre 12-13 minute movements. Descending is probably my favorite. I love how Maynard is mostly front and center the first 6-7 minutes of the song, then the last 6-7 minutes, Danny, Adam and Justin just play off of each other and have an opportunity to play their asses off.

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,562 posts
For the record, getting Quite High and playing through the videos on Tools new official YouTube channel on your large hi-def tv is exactly how it sounds like it would be like.
  • Dark Wader +1 this

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,353 posts
A nightmare?

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,562 posts
Probably 90% of the population would think so! I dug the perspective stuff that made it feel like a laser light show.

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,832 posts
Back in 2007, me and a friend went to a Tool concert (Melt Banana opened for them, look them up!) and we split up 3 grams of shrooms. For years, it was hard to describe the look of the crowd of 25,000 people in an indoor arena. That is until the movie World War Z came out and the scene where thousands of zombies are piling and running on top of each other trying to breach the top of the city wall. Looked just like that.
  • Iceheart +1 this

Iceheart

Iceheart

No.

• Moderators
  • 20,562 posts
I used to work in concert security at a large arena, and one time we went up to the seriously VIP highest point in the arena to watch the artist start the show. It was CRAZY watching the huge crowd go from thousands of individual people to this united FORCE rushing the stage in a split second. Your WWZ analogy is great. And I was totally sober!

I worked security for a Tool concert, but Im pretty sure this wasnt Tool, I seem to remember being more backstage for that show.

Reply to this topic