Martial Arts

Odine

Anyone here a practitioner of the pugilistic arts?

I am thinking of starting Jiu-jitsu. There is a gym down the road from my house that has classes, and I keep talking to my wife about going. So now you guys are hearing about it too. But I really want to give it a go and see if I could pursue it.

Anyone here a black belt in something? Or a white belt even?

I mean, sure I could hit a fool-- but honestly I was doing it more for my natural introversion. I've always been reserved in groups and it can effect my body language, speaking ability, and energy in general. It wasn't debilitating, but I was very aware of it. Part of my job requires me to be ON.

Whether it's pitching, or being in a staff writing room, I can make myself be on and work through it, but it was draining. This last TV room had me for 6 months, and while I adjusted to it, my energy was all messed up, I felt dead at the end of the day.

Also, if I am being real, I struggle with masculine vs feminine energy. I don't mean in terms of acting sissy or butch-- everyone has equal pools of masculine and feminine energy that has nothing to do with gender. BUT, I am so anti-bro culture, sports, and anything traditionally male that I have avoided various forms of fitness because "that's for bros."

Having an activity that my head says is masculine, that allows me to vent aggression I normally keep in, and in general works on how I physically carry myself fixes a lot of this. So I work with my trans boxing coach a couple mornings a week, an hour at the time.

I mean, sure I could hit a fool-- but honestly I was doing it more for my natural introversion. I've always been reserved in groups and it can effect my body language, speaking ability, and energy in general. It wasn't debilitating, but I was very aware of it. Part of my job requires me to be ON.

Whether it's pitching, or being in a staff writing room, I can make myself be on and work through it, but it was draining. This last TV room had me for 6 months, and while I adjusted to it, my energy was all messed up, I felt dead at the end of the day.

Also, if I am being real, I struggle with masculine vs feminine energy. I don't mean in terms of acting sissy or butch-- everyone has equal pools of masculine and feminine energy that has nothing to do with gender. BUT, I am so anti-bro culture, sports, and anything traditionally male that I have avoided various forms of fitness because "that's for bros."

Having an activity that my head says is masculine, that allows me to vent aggression I normally keep in, and in general works on how I physically carry myself fixes a lot of this. So I work with my trans boxing coach a couple mornings a week, an hour at the time.

Totally get you.

I'm not a bro, and all my younger life struggled with differentiating masculinity with being a block-head.

Which is why it took me till I was 30 to realise working out, going to the gym and exercise are actually really good, positive things to be doing. And why at 35 I've been thinking about taking up a martial art. Not only for the discipline and the health benefits, but for self defence. In the sense that knowledge in a martial art gives you an element of control. Like, if some idiot stumbling out of the pub tries to start a physical confrontation (which has happened a lot in the past) knowing a martial art gives you the option to decide what happens next. To be in control of that situation rather than be at its mercy. Previously it would all be down to luck, how that might pan out, and down to being able to talk my way out of most situations (which is still the preferable method). But with a baby on the way, I'm definitely feeling the call stronger than I did before to learn how to deal with hostility in an effective and appropriate manner.

(not that I'll be taking my baby to the pub and exposing him to risky situations in the first place, but you get my drift)

I think you should give it a go, Odine. At least try it and see if you like it.

When I was high school a millennia ago, I used to wrestle. I won about as many times as I lost, so I was so-so.

When I was in the Army, they had us do basic hand-to-hand stuff, but it was more like the basics for someone who never was in a fight in their life. Basically, if someone is coming at you, it was more or less to throw them and use the opponents' momentum against them, with a few blocks and throat strikes. That was in the early 1990s, so I have no idea what the Army does now.

As for actual martial arts, I've long since stopped, and its coming up on 7 years ago since I participated, but I did get into Krav Maga for about a year. They don't have a belt system like most martial arts, because it is sort of an amalgam of multiple martial arts. I have no clue what belt equivalent I would have been because the trainer I worked with didn't believe in a belt system, but it wouldn't have been that advanced; maybe like a yellow (more likely) or orange belt (less likely). Doesn't matter because I forgot most of it by now.

Be that as it may, KM was originally developed by the Israeli military, similar to the US Marine Corps martial arts program. It also pulls from Karate, jujitsu, and akito, among others. I'm old and broken down now :p but I can tell you if you are interested in something that is truly effective at self defense, and not just as a sport or for fitness only, Krav Maga can be very effective. Krav Maga's technique is not pretty to look at, but it is designed so that a 110LB female Israeli soldier can defeat a much larger male opponent, and quickly.

Edit: I only mention that above NOT because I think KM is the best or anything like that. Any martial art is good for protection, or even if you just want to build self confidence or get fit. Just saying that KM is primarily geared for self defense, and you get a little bit of a lot of different styles.

I was looking into Krav Maga too. That shit is gnarly. Unfortunately in my town there are no practitioners available.

I think I will also like the sport element to jiu-jitsu, the belt system etc. And if I decide to take knowledge further it could provide a good base to build from.

I've had my son in Tae Kwon Do for a few years. It's been great for him in terms of making him less of a spaz.

Ugh, I think I need to do this for my son. He's just SUCH a spaz that I know they are going to lose patience with him real fast. Also no contact Sports allowed per the ophthalmologist, so he wouldn't be able to spar. How long does it take before they get into sparring?

I never got really into martial arts but did enjoy some kickboxing classes. I also enjoyed Tai Chi in college. I suck at yoga but really enjoyed that one.

We're definitely putting in Eli in karate or tae kwon do or something. The boy needs to learn how to focus his non-stop energy and how to NOT punch everything he sees.

He definitely seems like the kind of kid who'll want to play contact sports when he's older. I don't think we'll let him play football, but maybe something else.

My son has been in TKD for about 14 months. Hes the opposite of a spaz. Hes pretty laid back and chill, if anything lacks a bit of confidence. But TKD has really helped with his confidence. Hes actually really good at it. And he knows it. We go to every tournament and he usually does pretty well. His last tournament he got 1st in sparring, 1st in weapons sparring, 3rd in forms, and 3rd in weapons forms. When he is about to spar, he turns on that switch and turns into a little asshole. I love it. Hes such a chill and laid back dude, but can turn it to 11 when hes about to compete.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.