Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cars

118 replies to this topic

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,782 posts
My husband said if I get the wagon my kids won't want it because it'll be uncool lol. The Mazda is the nicest trim level, fully loaded, but in 8 years I'm sure all the technology will be super outdated, so maybe we can give it to Quinn haha. The only thing I would be missing on the Volvo is a heads up display (which I can get for an extra $2k, plus a few other extras that I don't necessarily care about), but then I read a review that said you can't see it if you are wearing polarized sunglasses haha. So not spending the money on that. May be the same issue in the Mazda but its included in the trim level.

Honestly, I like Hyundais but the depreciation on them is terrible, especially past 100k miles. I tend to make cars last for 8-10 years, both have gone downhill rather suddenly just past 100k miles but I think it's more the time than the mileage. I don't replace a car until I hit a fix that I don't want to deal with. At least this time I was prepared with what I wanted. When my 2000 Dodge Avenger went out, I had to scramble, but we also didn't have kids. That's how we got the Highlander, which wasn't on my radar because I thought the redesign was super ugly. I was set on a Honda Pilot until I drove it and couldn't handle the terrible visibility. When the 1999 Mercedes Benz SLK 230 developed electrical problems, we had to drag toddler Quinn all over with us to test drive and it sucked. We had to take a day off work to really settle on the Volvo (but almost got a lease return Lexus).

Volvos are stupid expensive to fix but not as bad as BMW, and I think they hold up better. The BMW X1 would probably actually be the ideal fit, but I know that thing will break and road noise sounds terrible. Any issue that we've had with the Volvo S60 has been covered by warranty.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,885 posts

I think the BMW is made here in the US. So that automatically makes me disqualify it. I have NEVER had good cars made anywhere in this part of the world. I think Quinn might like the CX-5 when college comes around. My dream car is currently something fun and really old like a 69 corvette. HA.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,936 posts
You shouldn't really buy BMWs or Mercedes IMO. Unless you have the money They are not worth it once the warranty expires. Most luxury dealers here cover even the smallest of things including oil changes for the first year or two. If you lease then you're usually switching out the car before anything happens.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,782 posts
Mazda is promising me lifetime oil changes and car washes (and they're actually convenient enough to do the car washes). Volvo will cover 3 years. Less frequent maintenance but definitely not cheap. Once we are out of warranty I will probably call the local Volvo shop (also more conveniently located).

Honestly I kind of considered leasing the Volvo, but in 8 years I pay for the cost of the car, and it should last that long (and I will have some value towards trade-in). We did enjoy our Mercedes for 8 or 9 years but also bought it used (5 years old). And honestly, the previous owner ruined the interior (no idea what the hell he did to cause it, either). I would definitely lease one of those versus buy new. Volvo is kind of the less cool luxury vehicle lol. I assume everyone who drives one is kind of a nerd instead of cultured and cool.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Volvo and then if we really need the bigger car, we can rent or trade in my husband's. He wants a Ford F150 Raptor, which is just stupid because we don't own a boat or anything to tow or haul, nor do I want to.

Darth Ender

Darth Ender

• Members
  • 522 posts

I have a 2 and a 3 year old and can fit both car seats in comfortably and pack a double stroller and all of the baggage necessary in a smallish 4 door (Audi A4).  We bought a Rav4 for the space, but honestly, we rarely need the space.  The only time I have to use the Rav4 is to go skiing and only bc I am too cheap to buy a rack for my car.  

• Ms. Spam +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,936 posts
The thing about leasing is you have to be okay with constantly having a car payment. You kinda get used to not having a car payment once you've payed off you loan. Though you wonder where the extra money went because it doesn't feel like that 3-4 hundred is in your checking account lol.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,885 posts

Plus insurance is more when leasing than buying outright with a loan. It's funny, any lease I ever had I opted to buy the car at the end so I had a loan technically of 8 years. It's crazy to pay on a car that long but they're doing terms for 7 years now for cars to make the payments smaller. I adore a paid off car.

I actually am pulling for the Volvo too. I love them. They're kind of unique among all the car designs out there.  

As a Toyota snob I really don't like the redesign of the new RAV4s. They look like Jeep's newer SUVs. But I would buy a RAV4 as my next car if I needed room.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,782 posts
Do you feel like the quality has dropped lately? I loved my Toyota until about the last year or so. When I was checking out new car rankings it seems like Toyota has fallen behind. My husband, who spent several years in supply chain before recently going back to project management, thinks they may have leaned out their supply chain too much to bring down costs and are suffering in reliability because of it. I just wasn't excited about anything I saw, and I never get to rent them like I've gotten to do with Mazda and Hyundai.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,885 posts

Yeah, I think that is some of it. I want my cars to honk in Japanese because even though the quality is going down a bit for outsourced parts I feel like Japanese workers have a sense of pride and don't want a bad car out there with their workmanship. 

I have rented Hyundai and not been very impressed with it. Mazda is actually doing stuff with Toyota now (the new Yaris is a rip off of their tiny entry car). Also the interiors are okay. I honestly looked at Nissan's when I was shopping a few years ago. I really like the Rogue's design now. 

Buick has come a LONG way. But they're way out of my teachers salary much like Volvo's. :(

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,782 posts
I've never carried a car payment for more than a few years. We paid cash for the Volvo and took 2 years to pay off the Highlander. My poor dad needed 5 years to pay off my cheapo Dodge Avenger. I paid off my student loans in return. Him buying that car for me was seriously such a stupid financial decision, and it didn't even last 8 years before the engine seals all failed and I had to sell it.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,885 posts

I'm paying off my used Prius this year. I cried when I saw my credit pull. It took so long to get it there for me and it was glorious to name my terms. I could have bought a brand new Prius with no interest but I wanted a paid off car again. It's so deliciously nice. I carry full insurance though even on paid off vehicles because I have seen dumb in San Antonio when people drive in a little bit of rain.

Darth Ender

Darth Ender

• Members
  • 522 posts

Do you feel like the quality has dropped lately? I loved my Toyota until about the last year or so. When I was checking out new car rankings it seems like Toyota has fallen behind. My husband, who spent several years in supply chain before recently going back to project management, thinks they may have leaned out their supply chain too much to bring down costs and are suffering in reliability because of it. I just wasn't excited about anything I saw, and I never get to rent them like I've gotten to do with Mazda and Hyundai.

Something is messed up with the transmission in our Rav4 and Toyota can't figure out what the problem is (it slips out of or gets stuck in a lower gear, specifically in cooler temperatures.  Our warranty expired and even though it has been an ongoing issue since mile 0 they won't honor the warranty.  **** em.  

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,782 posts
I finally got the damn Volvo. Took 5 hours despite me trying to grease the skids by telling them which cars I wanted, get there at opening and every single car is at the storage lot. It took like 2 hours just to sit in the car and confirm I liked it and wanted that one. Then they had to give us **** about the trade in. Finally my husband was like, look, if you want us to fix it, then I don't need this car. I'll keep driving my old car. They finally capitulated after that. Then we gotta go haggle with the finance guy on warranty crap and then I wait around for another 20 minutes for my car to be detailed.

I love the cars but not sure if I'm buying another one from them because they have been a pain in the ass both times. But I got a blue one and it is pretty.
  • Ms. Spam and Darth Ender +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,885 posts

YAY! You have created new car itch in me and I'm really struggling not to trade my poor Prius in (the interior is cream and as spotless as the day it rolled off the lot because I'm very careful with it) but the outside has a ding on EVERY thing because people are ***holes in parking lots and streets.

I was like that too when I got the PT Cruiser. I cried signing the paperwork but more so because I didn't really want the car. This dealership was just the only one that would lend me money without a cosigner. Buying cars is not my favorite activity. 

Enjoy it!

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,782 posts
I hate buying a car more than buying a house. Its seriously my least favorite shopping to do.

My car is lovely, though. Dark blue exterior and blond/black interior. She's pretty. I pick up my ski rack tomorrow.

The warranty guy was trying to sell us on all these protection packages and my husband asked which one covered door dings because it's never rocks that get us. The guy waffled and then basically admitted that none of them would really cover the whole thing. Sales guy told me one last time to consider the rock one and it took all my strength not to give him the finger.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,936 posts
So how long do you think it will be before you stop yelling at the kids and others to stop eating or leaving junk in the car? :p

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,782 posts
It took less than 24 hours for the older kid to spill chocolate protein shake on the seatbelts. Imma kill her.
  • Ms. Spam and Darth Krawlie +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,903 posts
Sounds about right!
  • Metropolis +1 this

Darth Ender

Darth Ender

• Members
  • 522 posts

It took less than 24 hours for the older kid to spill chocolate protein shake on the seatbelts. Imma kill her.

I had a buddy that saved up for years and and got his dream car.  That night he went out drinking to celebrate.  He passed out laying in the door with the window down and ended up puking into the side of the door.  He had the door detailed multiple times and the smell never went away.  

That was about 15 years ago and it still doesn't get old.  

Reply to this topic