Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cars

95 replies to this topic

The Choc

The Choc

• 9,027 posts

Yeah, I get ya. Im just kidding. I wouldn't want my Jeep to be the vehicle I drive daily.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,719 posts
My old assistant has one. He likes it though he wants it's a rough drive committed to good wife's Lexus. I couldn't handle driving a car with poor gas milage like the Wrangler.

Not to mention Jeeps sit high because they're meant for off road. Takes a while getting used to stepping down that far. I rented a Jeep Compass a couple of years ago. I'll about I almost busted my ass getting out of it the first time.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts
We've had a Lexus in the home for years-- it's very comfy, but boring AF to drive.

I really love driving. I want to feel the car and the road. Not every bit of the road-- I was mostly done with my coupe because LA roads are crap and I was rattled by every pothole. I wanted something tougher and with suspension that could shrug that off.

I'm tall so getting in and out of the Jeep is actually easier on my back and knees than my car was. My kid did fall the first time he got out though, he forgot we were up high.

Point being, it's exactly what I wanted.
  • Brando +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,719 posts
I'm 6'2". I sit low in my car. In my wife's SUV it's pretty comfortable. But most sport SUVs are built on a car frame anyway. So it's not that high off the ground. The Jeep got me out of my comfort zone quickly.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,252 posts
I'm 6 feet and I've noticed that I just don't fit in some newer cars.y wife is 5'3" and getting into a car after she's driven is either painful or impossible.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,700 posts
I agree about Lexus being boring to drive. I mean, so is my Toyota but it was cheaper. Every time I drove a Lexus I was like this is too much damn money for a Camry. Reliable AF but snore.
  • Tank +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,649 posts

My current want is a 4Runner. With the backwindow that goes all the way down or a Tundra. Then I want a nice big dog and will do funny things together. I cannot justify that expense on a school teachers salary. 

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,889 posts

I am straight-up one of those people who just wants a damn minivan. I want the passenger space and capacity. I want the ability to remove/fold-down seats to create cargo space. I want sliding doors that can't be flung open to ding whatever we parked next to. I want more cupholders than there are seats. I want a DVD player for road trips. I want some damn no frills, boring-ass, reliable comfort for a change. I just want SOMETHING in my life right now that's not subject to violent mood swings. 

• zambingo +1 this

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts

I couldn't handle driving a car with poor gas milage like the Wrangler.

The mileage on a manual Wrangler will never be as good as my little TC, but it's no where near the inefficient guzzler most SUVs or big trucks are. On the highway it does pretty well actually. In town is decent, made better by the fact I drive manual and know how to clock RPMs for engine efficiency. 

Also also, I work from home. 

It costs me twice as much to fill as my TC did, but the tank is also twice as big. I fill up about once a week.

So stop storm-clouding my life choices.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,719 posts
Dude you can do whatever you want with your money lol.

I should clarify that I'm not into any car/truck with low gas milage. Which means I'm pretty much never going to own a large vehicle. I drove a friends F150 Supercab and was impressed with how smooth and great it handled. It's a V8 though that weighs a ton(almost 4).

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,790 posts

If I had a regular commute, I'd be with you 100%

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,649 posts

I used to drive a 79 Tbird. That thing got 9 miles to gallon. But it was built before the gas and environment became a thing and you could buy a gallon of gas for the cost of 79 cents a gallon. I loved the butter leather seats and the feeling like you were floating in a indestructible cloud. The closest I came to that was in a Mercedes once years later or a Caddy. I really like the look of some Cadillacs as they seem to have some style and penache to them. 

• zambingo +1 this

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,700 posts

I am straight-up one of those people who just wants a damn minivan. I want the passenger space and capacity. I want the ability to remove/fold-down seats to create cargo space. I want sliding doors that can't be flung open to ding whatever we parked next to. I want more cupholders than there are seats. I want a DVD player for road trips. I want some damn no frills, boring-ass, reliable comfort for a change. I just want SOMETHING in my life right now that's not subject to violent mood swings. 

So I tried to throw half my Girl Scout troop in my Highlander to go to the local camp 40 minutes away, and the mom riding with me NOPED because her husband is a Statey and said no 3rd row seats (to be fair, I was putting my kid back there). So we moved all this crap to her minivan on no notice and she wasn't prepared so it was a total mess, etc. But it was kind of nice and roomy and stuff folded up nicely. But I didn't have to drive it, just rode shotgun and navigated. So no idea how it actually drives. Everyone up here drives Honda Odysseys or Toyota Siennas. All my friends swear by the doors being the best thing EVAR. I had several friends buy Mazda 5s when those were a thing. They wanted something smaller than a minivan for gas mileage but wanted the doors. 🤣
  • Tank and zambingo +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,252 posts
Everyone drives an Odyssey or a Sienna because they're the only ones worth owning. And they hold up forever. We have an Odyssey and it drives like a car. I've never had any problems at all.
  • zambingo +1 this

zambingo

zambingo

The Human Torch

• 3,226 posts
My wife presently drives a bright red 2014 Grand Caravan SXT, I think Dodge added the SXT hoping youd think sex or sexy or sexy text... which as a laugh it did for me, but regardless of whatever cool branding it actually means it did not make us feel any better for needing to own a typical parent van.

However it has stow and go seating which we do rather love the convenience off. The downside to stow and go is that the van has to be front wheel drive, which can require quite a bit of management during Alaska winters. We have winter tires and those also have studs just to ensure a better grip, although that is probably not an issue for others here.
  • Brando +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,649 posts

With the summers you guys are having I can imagine you guys sleeping that Caravan with the AC on.

• zambingo +1 this

zambingo

zambingo

The Human Torch

• 3,226 posts
Youre not far off. There were times this summer where we went to the store, but only I or my wife went in to shop while everyone else chilled out in the car.
  • Ms. Spam +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,252 posts

My wife presently drives a bright red 2014 Grand Caravan SXT, I think Dodge added the SXT hoping youd think sex or sexy or sexy text... which as a laugh it did for me, but regardless of whatever cool branding it actually means it did not make us feel any better for needing to own a typical parent van.

However it has stow and go seating which we do rather love the convenience off. The downside to stow and go is that the van has to be front wheel drive, which can require quite a bit of management during Alaska winters. We have winter tires and those also have studs just to ensure a better grip, although that is probably not an issue for others here.

It's probably called SEXT to make it less embarrassing for teens. "Hey, I do what the van says!"

• zambingo +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,649 posts

I want to just say I hope Safelite fixes my window shield correctly. A rock apparently chipped my window shield and when I turned on the defroster with the recent cold snap it made it span out in a big star and break in a star pattern all over. I've heard stuff about repairs not being done correctly and bad things happening. UGH. Why can't my poor car catch a break. The interior is cream and it kills me to keep it clean but you look at the outside and there's more dings and scratches than you can shake a stick at. 

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,700 posts
I've had good experiences with Safelite. Are the complaints about your local shop or in general?

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,649 posts

Better business bureau.  So regionwise. Just weird things like not calibrating the lane warning camera that's attached once the new glass is on. Or it overheating and causing fires because it was not attached properly. They're coming out to work so the car will sit for a while hopefully in warmer weather to let the seal happen. It's good to hear you had a good experience. The last time I used them was back in 2008 when I had to get the PT Cruisers window shield replaced. Back then that cost me $119 without insurance. Because of all those weird new fangled security features like lane assist with insurance I still have to pay out of pocket $166. 

Reply to this topic