Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cars

50 replies to this topic

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

You think there's a correlation between your brother building the Jeeps and them having issues?

Stop ruining my dream.

Naw on my Brother. He's good at fixing stuff. It is what got him promoted. But I totally get it. I have a Jeep fantasy myself. But I really want a Tacoma. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

I am in the camp of owning and driving a vehicle until it is more expensive to repair than buying a new or newer one.  

My first car, which I still have, is a 1972 Chevy Nova.  When it was my daily driver, it was really more trouble maintaining it than it was worth, but at least that is where i cut my teeth on being able to do minor to intermediate repairs.  I learned how to remove and replace an engine, transmission, and how to do other things like tune ups, changing the oil, etc.  Now, it is a weekend cruiser I drive every now and again. It gets people talking and it is fun to drive in a nostalgic way, but I would sell it in 2 seconds if it was my only vehicle.  Old muscle cars are cool to drive (more properly, to be seen driving :p) but as daily drivers, they suck ass. 

My second car was a 1966 Pontiac Lemans (or lemons!).  That continued my forced knowledge of car repair. I mailny bought it because my best friend at the time had a 1967 GTO which looked almost identical, except for a few trim changes.  I had beefed it up with a 1970 GTO 400 V8 bored out to a 413, and changed the 2 speed auto to a 3 speed turbo 400, and upgraded the axle to a 12 bolt posi traction with 4:11 gears.  The thing was fast, but the engine was far more powerful than the car was designed to handle, so you guessed it, I spent almost as much time under the hood as I did driving it. 

From those 2 cars I learned one truth:  don't get them unless you love working on cars.  In my older age, I hate it, and I am debating on selling my Nova.  I also learned that trucks>cars, if you don't care about gas mileage.  They sit higher, are designed to tow things, and as such if you drive them like a car, typically last longer than a car.   

I've bought only 1 brand new vehicle in my life, and it was a 1995 Dodge Dakota sport, my 3rd vehicle.  I owned it from 1995 to 2000.  It had a peppy 4 cylinder with a manual and 3.90 posi gears.  It moved like a V6 S10 of the same era.  I loved that truck, and never had an issue in the 5 years and 75,000 miles I owned it. 

My 4th vehicle was a 1997  Ford f150 XLT extended cab.  Probably the nicest vehicle I owned. It was optioned to the max, and I bought it in 2000, with less than 15,000 miles on it.  Except maybe the Lariat or Eddie Bauer editions, it was the top of the line for 1997.  I drove it until 2013, when it had 220,000 miles, when I was in an auto accident that totaled it out. I bought it back with a salvage title, with the intent of repairing it, because  it seemed it just needed a new bumper, grille, and driver fender, but  I later found out it had a bent frame. I ended up signing the title over to a auto body guy, who did some paint and body work on my Nova.  He probably fixed the frame, and repaired the damage, then flipped it.  That truck was very reliable, and other than maintenance repairs like brakes and minor stuff, the only major issue was I had to replace the transmission at 200k miles.  That was pretty expensive at $1800, but cheaper than buying a new car.  With used cars, it was better to go with the devil I knew.  Months later, I had my accident.  

My current vehicle and daily driver is a 2006 Ford F150 XL regular cab.  I bought it immediately after my 1997 F150 was wrecked through my credit union.  It only had 43,000 miles at the time and the paint and body looked fine.  It currently has 110,000 miles.  It has been a good truck in the last 6 years I've owned it, but earlier this year, the engine went out.  Let me tell you, that was an expensive repair bill!   I bought a rebuilt 4.6 V8 from Jeggs for $2700, and hired a guy a friend referred me to install the engine.  He only charged $800, so it was a lot cheaper than buying a new truck, or go with a used vehicle, which really means you inherit someone else's problem.  

Had I not had either the connections for repairs, or ability to do them myself, I probably would have gone with buying a Toyota something, maybe a Tundra, and traded it in once the warranty was over!

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,569 posts
If I hadn't turned my garage into my office I'd totally get an old fuel line to carb, to engine muscle car to learn about working on them.

It would be super on brand for me.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

Old cars like that require time, space, patience, and money.  Over the years that I've had mine, I found myself missing at least one of those ingredients, which is why my car has been, and remains to be, a continual work in progress.  

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,663 posts
I think it's cool that you can fix your own cars. I'm somewhat mechanical but I'm a lot better about breaking things down and figuring out what's wrong than I am at putting them back together. 🤣

My dad once showed me how to change my oil (in theory), but with all the environmental regulations on fluids, I'd rather pay someone to dispose of it for me.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,510 posts

I'm taking my car in today cuz on the drive to Arizona this weekend it decided it didn't want to accelerate anymore. It's hard to pass someone on a 2 lane highway when your car doesn't go into passing gear, even when the pedal is literally pushed to the floor. We got a temporary fix in but it needs a little work done.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

UH OH, Krawlie. That's bad when you're trying to go up the mountain that takes you down into San Diego too.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,510 posts

Luckily it didn't happen there either way, but believe me coming home I was worried about it. Almost took the long way around on the 10 instead.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

I think it's cool that you can fix your own cars. I'm somewhat mechanical but I'm a lot better about breaking things down and figuring out what's wrong than I am at putting them back together.

My dad once showed me how to change my oil (in theory), but with all the environmental regulations on fluids, I'd rather pay someone to dispose of it for me.

Old cars, yes, I can work on those. They are kind of primitive, like me :)  I'm no mechanic for sure, but I can do a lot of the essential stuff.  When I get stuck, youtube is my friend.

Newer cars, eh, hit or miss on those.  About 90% of the time, I just take my truck in for service, even if it is something I can youtube.  Things are so complicated and computerized now, and Ford in particular likes to design things so that the average Joe has to take it in to the dealer.   They like to install panels over parts that assemble almost like puzzles, or install bolts and sensors that are hard to get to, and sometimes require proprietary tools to remove. 

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,510 posts

the super cool thing about having car issues is how literally every mechanic tells you something different every time you have any issue

called three places and got three different answers and they all talked as if the other one's ideas were the worst idea ever. super ****ing cool.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

Right? And then its well it wasn't what we thought it was lets try this *Holds out estimate where you spend more money*.

I got sick and tired of that with the PT Cruiser. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

the super cool thing about having car issues is how literally every mechanic tells you something different every time you have any issue

called three places and got three different answers and they all talked as if the other one's ideas were the worst idea ever. super ****ing cool.

That sucks!  I don't know how it is where everyone here lives, but in Phoenix, a LOT of shops are rip off artists.  They overcharge, and in many cases, mis-diagnose and fix the wrong thing.  Or worse, charge for fixing something that doesn't need it. 

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,517 posts
Knock on wood I've never had a problem with mechanics.

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,663 posts

I'm taking my car in today cuz on the drive to Arizona this weekend it decided it didn't want to accelerate anymore. It's hard to pass someone on a 2 lane highway when your car doesn't go into passing gear, even when the pedal is literally pushed to the floor. We got a temporary fix in but it needs a little work done.

I had something like that happen with the old Dodge back when I lived in Florida. My transmission sensor went out while I was driving home from work on US-1. So my car wouldn't shift out of first gear, which is really fun when you're in a 45 mph zone.

God, I hated that car.

I started taking the Toyota to a local shop for the last few years, and they took pretty good care of me, but the last time they rotated my tires, they broke 3 lugs on the same time and wanted me to pay for it. I was pissed because it was pretty clear they had overdone it with the torque gun the last time they had changed the tire. So I paid for labor, no parts, and said see ya, and now I need a new mechanic. Had to go to the dealership for that sensor issue, but I probably would've gone to the dealer anyway given that I had no less than 3 lights on the dash light up and a message saying "Call your dealer immediately." Uhhh yep.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

HAHAHA. Yeah those dash messages slay me. Although I do appreciate the battery in my key fob is getting low message. I find the dealer to be pretty competitive in pricing. I even get better deals on oil changes through my dealer. They do buy one get one free deals so it is half off for me. I do know a lot about car repairs. I had a 79 T-Bird that was formerly my step-mom's as my commuter car for college (13 miles to the gallon with that V8) and helped my Dad replace the transmission, the engine and have done many brake jobs on a lot of cars as well as oil changes. But you know what? I would rather pay another person to deal with the mess. One time I was doing the oil change in my Dodge Omni and missed the oil drip pan. It took me ages to get all that oil up and had to hear my step-mom complain about it for ages.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,510 posts

hooray I need a new transmission. also known as a new car.

• Ms. Spam +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

That is exactly what happened with the Saturn. Spider gear went out and I was like I'm not messing with cars any more. And I bought a PT Cruiser. HAHAHAha ha..

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

• 20,663 posts

Congratulations on your new vehicle!

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

I totally hate it when vehicles take a dump over a month away from holiday sales!  I'm sorry that happened to you at all, but if it were to happen, too bad it didn't happen around Labor Day.

One of the factors that made me replace the engine rather than trade my truck in when the engine went out was the fact it was late March....too far away from Memorial Day sales.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

Now is perfect for Krawlie. He should take all his kids with him too. They're trying to clear out old 2019 models for 2020 ones. I bought my used Prius in July and got a FABULOUS deal. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

Are you saying Krawlie should trade his kids in on a new Prius?

• Darth Krawlie +1 this

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,510 posts

I don't think the trade in value on my kids is high enough.

• Brando and El Chalupacabra +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

HAHAHA. But if his kids are like three days past a nap they my wanna discount any car to get them off the show room floor. 

My niece bought a used Odyssey from Honda that was a previous lease. She swears they knocked 4000 off the price of the car because her four kids were everywhere. Two were honking the horn of a new Civic and one was eating donuts unapologetically because my niece feeds them health food and he'd never had a donut before and some sales dude gave him the chocolate frosted one he was eating from the back of a CRV with his sticky fingers going through all the nooks and crannies and the baby was crying non-stop from teething.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,569 posts
Jesus, I'll pay you to not post about them again. That sounds like a nightmare.

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,480 posts

HAhaha. Yeah. My family is some kind of crazy.

But really this is a super unplanned expense for Krawlie. I really feel his pain. 

Reply to this topic