Cars

After our experience with the F-150 Lightning, I'm really glad we didn't go with an EV truck. I still think EVs are great, but I would do a commuter car and not a large vehicle. We do love my husband's F150 Hybrid, though.

What will you be using the truck for? And what will you be replacing? The Audi or your wife's car?

12 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

After our experience with the F-150 Lightning, I'm really glad we didn't go with an EV truck. I still think EVs are great, but I would do a commuter car and not a large vehicle. We do love my husband's F150 Hybrid, though.

What will you be using the truck for? And what will you be replacing? The Audi or your wife's car?

Why would you not recommend an EV truck?  I am cautious because this would be the first EV model.  

We would keep The A4.  This would replace our RAV4.  It is mainly for outdoors stuff.  We want to rent a few different campera through outdoorsy (it’s like Airbnb but for campers) and we can’t do much with the RAV4.  Plus, I like the idea of just throwing our gear in the back (bikes, skis, coolers, whatever) and not have to worry about messing with swapping out different racks and worrying about perfectly packing a roof rack.  

26 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

It was the towing capacity. We've also been looking at getting a camper and towing even a small sized camper reduced the range to 80-100 miles.

That’s a good point—the whole point is to tow or get one of those campers you put on the bed.  Have you looked up outdoorsy?  I like the idea of demoing and see what the haul is like before buying one.

The other concern we have, not sure if you know this, but ULA is in the process of being sold—my guess is to Amazon—because ULA just won a massive contract with them.  Who knows if that would impact my wife.  If it does, she has lots of contacts within the aerospace industry…it may work out for the better…but you never know.  It makes us hesitant to drop that kind of money.  On the other hand…we live on the mountains and it sucks not being able to do all the things we want and this just popped up

Just send it!!!

The Tundra was packed with all kinds of neato things like heated all seats and steering wheel and mirrors. Or the really cool push button tailgate drop with a hidden step that came out. I also love that the full back window came down but I was like that's like a mortgage payment...maybe I'm cheap but a truck is a work item and shouldn't be an arm and thirty legs. My step-sister's spouse just bought a fully loaded Silverado for 130K because Ford wouldn't even build him a truck with the features he wanted. 

I also looked at a Tacoma but I REALLLLLLLY don't like vehicles built in Mexico.

Maybe a 4Runner is my future. They're made in Japan. I trust those.

My Prius still loves me so I have my commuter but I want something fun and am saving for a fun vehicle. Like a mid-life crisis. I may get my old car groove on and get a corvette from the 60s.

That is crazy.  I thought the truck I was looking at was expensive.  I am totally a high trim guy and would prefer a cheaper truck in a higher trim.  But is that a full size truck?

I guess the Gladiator at CarMax didn't get processed as they took it off the site and it wasn't sold.  With that, I think I am going to wait to see the new 2024 models with a possible EV option.  Nicole--good catch, the EV Wrangler has half the towing capacity as the gas model.  The whole reason we are buying it is to tow a camper or whatever.  I would prefer if the range could at least reach Denver (330-380 miles).  I found the EV route planner map and it looks like there are plenty of connections between here and Denver.  However, at night all the mountains shut down especially in the winter and even gas stations are all closed.  You can't predict what is and is not open.  If it is cold and having to drive through the mountains (including multiple passes) which is actually the shortest route, I am sure the range drops significantly. 

I want something that can pull a camper too. I don't think I will be ready to buy that until I am closer to retirement though and hopefully by then EVs will have made some leaps in power and travel distance. I find it ridiculous that you can rent a travel camper or even a RV here in Texas but they limit the distance you can take those to 500 miles. I've seen everything in 500 miles. I want to go to Colorado Springs and see where I was born and hit up Wyoming and all those middle states I've never been too.

10 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Geez I didn't realize you were that far from Denver. That's going to be tough to find that good of range, especially with all the mountains.

We are on the western slope of the Rockies and Denver is on the eastern slope (front range).  Even still, it is only about 200 miles geographically--but the shortest route is all mountains and it is all twisty and such. 

3 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I want something that can pull a camper too. I don't think I will be ready to buy that until I am closer to retirement though and hopefully by then EVs will have made some leaps in power and travel distance. I find it ridiculous that you can rent a travel camper or even a RV here in Texas but they limit the distance you can take those to 500 miles. I've seen everything in 500 miles. I want to go to Colorado Springs and see where I was born and hit up Wyoming and all those middle states I've never been too.

How you tried Outdoorsy for camper rentals?

After my parents experience with an Acadia by GMC I am surprised my brother in law bought a Chevy truck. My parents only have 70,000 miles on it and it's on its third engine. They keep buying those car warrantees because they pay for themselves with that car. But who wants to spend half their time owning a vehicle with it being in the shop?

On 3/25/2023 at 8:57 PM, Ms. Spam said:

I test drove a Tundra today. It felt so goood to tell the salesman, eh, no thanks and walk away. I mean I could buy it but 90K for a truck?

All of our company trucks are Tacomas. I’ve probably put near 1 million miles between the 6 or 7 trucks I’ve drove for the company. They recently assigned me a 2022 Tacoma, with the SR5 package, for my long time of service. It’s nice!

5B062700-C83E-4196-9321-D80E3412A075.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sooo I've been reading reviews and I think I like the Ford Maverick. I need to test drive it and it's basically going to be a second car for me but it can tow up to 4000 pounds so it's perfect for a poptop camper kinda like the Scamp. I just hate the way Ford sets up their odometers and other stuff in the dash.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.