Cars

My old assistant has one. He likes it though he wants it's a rough drive committed to good wife's Lexus. I couldn't handle driving a car with poor gas milage like the Wrangler.

Not to mention Jeeps sit high because they're meant for off road. Takes a while getting used to stepping down that far. I rented a Jeep Compass a couple of years ago. I'll about I almost busted my ass getting out of it the first time.

We've had a Lexus in the home for years-- it's very comfy, but boring AF to drive.

I really love driving. I want to feel the car and the road. Not every bit of the road-- I was mostly done with my coupe because LA roads are crap and I was rattled by every pothole. I wanted something tougher and with suspension that could shrug that off.

I'm tall so getting in and out of the Jeep is actually easier on my back and knees than my car was. My kid did fall the first time he got out though, he forgot we were up high.

Point being, it's exactly what I wanted.

I am straight-up one of those people who just wants a damn minivan. I want the passenger space and capacity. I want the ability to remove/fold-down seats to create cargo space. I want sliding doors that can't be flung open to ding whatever we parked next to. I want more cupholders than there are seats. I want a DVD player for road trips. I want some damn no frills, boring-ass, reliable comfort for a change. I just want SOMETHING in my life right now that's not subject to violent mood swings.

I couldn't handle driving a car with poor gas milage like the Wrangler.

The mileage on a manual Wrangler will never be as good as my little TC, but it's no where near the inefficient guzzler most SUVs or big trucks are. On the highway it does pretty well actually. In town is decent, made better by the fact I drive manual and know how to clock RPMs for engine efficiency.

Also also, I work from home.

It costs me twice as much to fill as my TC did, but the tank is also twice as big. I fill up about once a week.

So stop storm-clouding my life choices.

Dude you can do whatever you want with your money lol.

I should clarify that I'm not into any car/truck with low gas milage. Which means I'm pretty much never going to own a large vehicle. I drove a friends F150 Supercab and was impressed with how smooth and great it handled. It's a V8 though that weighs a ton(almost 4).

I used to drive a 79 Tbird. That thing got 9 miles to gallon. But it was built before the gas and environment became a thing and you could buy a gallon of gas for the cost of 79 cents a gallon. I loved the butter leather seats and the feeling like you were floating in a indestructible cloud. The closest I came to that was in a Mercedes once years later or a Caddy. I really like the look of some Cadillacs as they seem to have some style and penache to them.

I am straight-up one of those people who just wants a damn minivan. I want the passenger space and capacity. I want the ability to remove/fold-down seats to create cargo space. I want sliding doors that can't be flung open to ding whatever we parked next to. I want more cupholders than there are seats. I want a DVD player for road trips. I want some damn no frills, boring-ass, reliable comfort for a change. I just want SOMETHING in my life right now that's not subject to violent mood swings.

So I tried to throw half my Girl Scout troop in my Highlander to go to the local camp 40 minutes away, and the mom riding with me NOPED because her husband is a Statey and said no 3rd row seats (to be fair, I was putting my kid back there). So we moved all this crap to her minivan on no notice and she wasn't prepared so it was a total mess, etc. But it was kind of nice and roomy and stuff folded up nicely. But I didn't have to drive it, just rode shotgun and navigated. So no idea how it actually drives. Everyone up here drives Honda Odysseys or Toyota Siennas. All my friends swear by the doors being the best thing EVAR. I had several friends buy Mazda 5s when those were a thing. They wanted something smaller than a minivan for gas mileage but wanted the doors.

Everyone drives an Odyssey or a Sienna because they're the only ones worth owning. And they hold up forever. We have an Odyssey and it drives like a car. I've never had any problems at all.

My wife presently drives a bright red 2014 Grand Caravan SXT, I think Dodge added the SXT hoping youd think sex or sexy or sexy text... which as a laugh it did for me, but regardless of whatever cool branding it actually means it did not make us feel any better for needing to own a typical parent van.

However it has stow and go seating which we do rather love the convenience off. The downside to stow and go is that the van has to be front wheel drive, which can require quite a bit of management during Alaska winters. We have winter tires and those also have studs just to ensure a better grip, although that is probably not an issue for others here.

My wife presently drives a bright red 2014 Grand Caravan SXT, I think Dodge added the SXT hoping youd think sex or sexy or sexy text... which as a laugh it did for me, but regardless of whatever cool branding it actually means it did not make us feel any better for needing to own a typical parent van.

However it has stow and go seating which we do rather love the convenience off. The downside to stow and go is that the van has to be front wheel drive, which can require quite a bit of management during Alaska winters. We have winter tires and those also have studs just to ensure a better grip, although that is probably not an issue for others here.

It's probably called SEXT to make it less embarrassing for teens. "Hey, I do what the van says!"

• 1 month later...

I want to just say I hope Safelite fixes my window shield correctly. A rock apparently chipped my window shield and when I turned on the defroster with the recent cold snap it made it span out in a big star and break in a star pattern all over. I've heard stuff about repairs not being done correctly and bad things happening. UGH. Why can't my poor car catch a break. The interior is cream and it kills me to keep it clean but you look at the outside and there's more dings and scratches than you can shake a stick at.

Better business bureau. So regionwise. Just weird things like not calibrating the lane warning camera that's attached once the new glass is on. Or it overheating and causing fires because it was not attached properly. They're coming out to work so the car will sit for a while hopefully in warmer weather to let the seal happen. It's good to hear you had a good experience. The last time I used them was back in 2008 when I had to get the PT Cruisers window shield replaced. Back then that cost me $119 without insurance. Because of all those weird new fangled security features like lane assist with insurance I still have to pay out of pocket $166.

• 1 month later...

My freaking dash lit up again Saturday night. Turns out I probably should've had them replace all of those sensors and not just the one. They probably knew I'd be back in a few months. So I had to skip taking my kid to ski lessons (she's pissed) and go test drive some cars today. So this time I drove a 2020 Volvo V60 Cross Country, a 2020 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design, and a Mazda CX-5 Signature. Basically, I can't justify the price increase for the R-Design versus the CX-5, so that one is out. (The road noise was also noticable, while the CX-5 was practically silent.)

I was ready to pull the trigger on the V60 because it's not that much more than the CX-5 and more fun to drive, but then I realized the rear seats fold 60/40 and not 40/20/40. I can't squeeze 2 kids and booster car seats into a 60% width. This is essential for skiing and for driving this stupid team tent around that we volunteered to do to save $140 on fees for my kid's expensive as hell soccer club. We already planned on doing something like 4 hours of uniform sales next year instead. She has 3 more away games that are 30-50 miles away, so I suppose we could take 2 cars, but I'm hoping the coach will let us get away with using our smaller personal tent for those. But at this point I'm not buying a bigger car than I want to haul this dumb tent around, it'll be a lot more than $140. So basically the solution for skiing is a roof rack. I'm pretty short so it won't be the easiest but definitely easier than doing it on a taller SUV. This is also after we got a ton of snow this week and I had to clean off the roof of my Highlander twice and about died doing it, and I texted a friend to say I was definitely getting a wagon so I didn't have to deal with this crap.

On the other hand, the CX-5 does have a 40/20/40 split rear seat, is a little bigger (but not as big as the Highlander), and offers all of the same bells and whistles as the V60 but in a less sexy package. My husband is similarly torn because he thinks I deserve my own fun car, but likes having a big vehicle to haul things and go on road trips (roof box would probably be required on the Volvo for that, but it seems like we would already go that route).

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to finish cleaning out my car and vacuuming the last few bits of Isis hair. We need to get something by Wednesday afternoon or we're going to be in trouble, or I'm going to have to rent a car for a few days.

Remember the kids are going to grow up and boosters and other things won't be needed. Pencil in things like how long do you intend to own the car? Until your kids are out of school? Or beyond? I think the CX-5 will be the best bet as Volvo's are SUPER expensive to repair if something goes wrong. I can't remember when a good time is to buy a car because generally I am like you, some REALLY stupid irritating thing happened and now I have to buy a car when I wasn't expecting it. But regardless of whatever you get you will feel better knowing possibly no more check engine lights will go up for at LEAST two years. I say possibly because I've bought a PT Cruiser and that was the absolute dumbest thing I've ever bought right after sticking with AT&T for 20 plus years and having to deal with their customer service over internet and broken phones.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.