Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Rise of Skywalker and time travel

29 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

RLM has contended that Star Warss dirty little secret is that nothing will ever work outside the original trilogy because that was the fairytale and its been completed..something along those lines.

Im believing that may be right more and more.

The PT may not have been good in the view of many people as far as execution goes, but it worked for me. 

Now, the ST has struggled to find relevance because ROTJ was the fairy tale ending, for me after TLJ, at least.   They had to undo that fairy tale ending to justify the ST.  As it sits now with TLJ, I believe you are onto something, but I could change my mind on that, if Rise of Skywalker is good.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,971 posts

Star Wars 77 also has a fairy tale ending with a princess being rescued. They undid that with ESB. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

Star Wars 77 also has a fairy tale ending with a princess being rescued. They undid that with ESB. 

If Darth Vader had been killed at the end, I would agree.  But considering he escapes to parts unknown, and the war is not won yet, I can't agree there.   The movie is self contained, but also has set ups for continuing, that ROTJ really doesn't have in the same way.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,971 posts

I agree, not a perfect comparison. 

In a perfect world maybe JJ comes up with something a but more clever than essentially having the Empire come back with a different name and an Emperor stand in leading it. Really though in the long run what he did was probably smart. In reality I think in many cases the things some fans want in terms of explanations if they got those explanations it would just slow the movies down and make them boring. Sometimes be careful what ya ask for.

For me Star Wars is about the great moments. Not that the plot doesn't matter but what really matters is Luke looking at the suns, Yoda raising the X-Wing, teh saber flying into Reys hands, Luke staring down Kylo. Thats what is most important. I really do think give it a simple plot with bad guys chasing good guys, trying to get some object the good guys having, the good guys trying to blow up the bad guys. Thats when it works best. 

In the prequels we got an explanation for how Palpatine engineered the Clone Wars. Did we really want it though. Hell we got an explanation for 10 years before the Clone Wars. We are lucky Lucas didn't go back to when Palpy was running for City Council on Naboo. Wouldn't we all be happier if we just got dropped into the Clone Wars in Episode I with the crawl being like "The destructive Clone Wars ahve raged for several years..." Sure people would probably complain about it online but the movies would be better in all liklehood.  

• El Chalupacabra +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,781 posts

Well I don't blame JJ Abrams for TFA so much as Rian Johnson.  Sure the story was kind of a reach after the ROTJ ending, but it could have worked.  I'm not going to say more about TLJ, since I have said it all before.  I am hopeful that JJ will do the best he can, and I LOVE Palpatine, but it just hope his return is done well, and not in a lazy, disjointed way.

As for the PT, yeah, you know, it is a shame that the PT wasn't done as a live action cable series, or even a miniseries, instead.  Lucas's biggest issue was that he tried to fit too much minutiae into the PT.  Stuff he didn't have the screen time to do well with.  If it had been a series or miniseries, and if he had handlers that actually told him some ideas wouldn't work, it would have been way better.  Basically, it took the Clone Wars to salvage the PT, IMHO.  I love the PT, but I know it is a mess, too.  It's unfortunate that the PT predated the new golden age of cable TV and streaming TV.  How cool would it have been to have a live action Clone Wars series, done in a similar way (albeit more geared to general audiences like the movies were), if it were done like GOT?

Reply to this topic