Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Picard

65 replies to this topic

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,355 posts
I never saw Wrath of Khan. Does it hold up today?
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,794 posts

whut

It's timeless. Generally agreed upon to be the best Star Trek story ever.

The FX work is some of the best ever made-- the model work is so good that to this day the Enterprise in this movie still my favorite spaceship because it feels so real.

Sure, Khan himself is melodramatic and over the top... and so is Shatner, but that's part of the fun.

• Ryn, zambingo, El Chalupacabra and 1 other +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,265 posts
I rewatched it recently for the first time in years expecting it to not hold up. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it not only held up, it's one of the great sci-fi films of all time.
  • Tank, zambingo and El Chalupacabra +1 this

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,794 posts

100%!

It's Star Trek, but it has both a very human post-modern action hero turns old story, as well as a legit, hard scifi narrative that drives ethical questions, all hidden inside a revenge movie.

• zambingo, El Chalupacabra and Odine +1 this

Ms. Spam

Ms. Spam

MS.

• 17,666 posts

whut

It's timeless. Generally agreed upon to be the best Star Trek story ever.

The FX work is some of the best ever made-- the model work is so good that to this day the Enterprise in this movie still my favorite spaceship because it feels so real.

Sure, Khan himself is melodramatic and over the top... and so is Shatner, but that's part of the fun.

YYYYYYESESSSSSSE!

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,715 posts

odine hasn't seen wrath of khan?

EVERYONE GET HIM

• zambingo, monkeygirl and Odine +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Validating
  • 8,857 posts

• Ryn and Odine +1 this

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,355 posts

Lol

Woah Okay Okay guys.

I'll watch it!

Sounds awesome!

Edited by Odine, 31 July 2019 - 01:23 AM.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,437 posts

For what little it's worth. . .I am not really a fan of Star Trek at all and think Wrath of Khan is a bloody classic, so definitely worth watching. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Validating
  • 8,857 posts

• Odine +1 this

zambingo

zambingo

The Human Torch

• 3,235 posts
Wrath of Khan probably should be the entry point for anyone wondering just what is this Star Trek thing. Perhaps ironically, even though it is a sequel to a TOS episode it feels completely self contained. Everything you need to know to get the characters and the setting is all in the film and on top of that it is just a really well done film.

Back in the day I introduced my Granddad to Star Trek through it as well. He of course was familiar, as many people are in a cursory sense, but he had not been a fan. He served in the Royal Navy as an engineer and Chief Petty Officer during WWII, so I figured he would really get the intentional mirroring that Nick Meyer did to classic war films with Khan. He did, and he really enjoyed it. Anyway...
  • Ryn, El Chalupacabra and Odine +1 this

captainbleh

captainbleh

RIP Beau, he would have hated you

• 5,039 posts

https://twitter.com/...551476604805121

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,715 posts

looks so good

captainbleh

captainbleh

RIP Beau, he would have hated you

• 5,039 posts

it does, but that trailer just got nerfed because copyright (so Twitter), others must be around somewhere

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Validating
  • 8,857 posts

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,054 posts

Every time I see a trailer or piece of promotional advertisement or online-speculation/confirmation-that-Michael-Dorn-is-gonna-be-in-this or what have you it really gets me how weird television is, how weird the entertainment landscape in general is, that this is going to be a for real TV show instead of

a video game or an IDW comic or series of licensed ghostwritten books 'authored' by Patrick Stewart or whatever. They're making this. They (Michael Chabon?!) already made it.

• Brando +1 this

Reply to this topic