Picard

Tank

I thought Shaw was going to killed off in episode one so Seven, Picard, Or Riker would have to step up and take command. He's become one of my favorite characters. He's like the people's Captain-- very blue collar, and practical. 

Episode eight.

short version : didn't really like it, big surprise

* Thought the opening teaser was pretty good. Don’t remember if they had a scene last week where Jack Howard Crusher Picard and Junior LaForge met up with Doctor Crusher and Chancellor Admiral Picard after their respective adventures — telepathy and torture. Pretty sure there wasn’t one. Oh, wait, does the fact that we see multiple hits from both their phasers against Christopher Plummer’s Daughter’s changeling body mean that they had their phasers set on stun that whole time? Is it torture to threaten someone else with death when you have no intention of following through and are just going to painlessly (more or less? does it hurt to get stunned with phaser fire? not going to look this one up in the wiki!) force them into unconsciousness? Wait, maybe the phasers WERE set to kill but that doesn’t quite work on changelings? Or at least not on these ones? We do see Raffi slicing and dicing them first and then Worf phasering them into cinders. Oh well. Again, not going to look this one up in the wiki!

* The dialogue between Picard and Jack is so so bad in the scene where the two of them basically just recap what’s going on. Awful stuff. Infinitely complicated indeed! Sleight (or, rather, slight!) of words indeed!

* Is ... is there something wrong with the word ‘code’!? The word code is a perfectly cromulent word. I don’t know why these guys want to add another letter to it every time instead! ‘Codec’ in the season opener. ‘Codex’ in this episode. Just say ‘code’!

* I chose to take Deanna Troi going on about how she misses raktajino lattes as a veiled reference to the long abandoned romantic subplot between her and Worf. And then who should show up just that very minute but everybody’s favourite guy!!!!1! Yay!

* LeVar Burton’s (extraneous! unneeded!) dialogue underlining the stakes — again! — of what’ll happen when they remove the partition between Data and Lore is awkwardly overlaid on top of shots of him and his daughter keying in LCARS stuff and someone plugging in that LED light cable. Dumb!

* Ugh. Again! Playing audio clips of Geordi and Data from the old show — I assume it was from the very first Professor Moriarty episode back in Season 2 with Doctor Pulaski — just makes me want to watch the old show. Is it there to help people who wouldn’t really get what the deal is with the deerstalker cap and the meerschaum pipe!?!? Why!?

* Nicholas Meyer uses the bald-faced question of 'How do you feel?' delivered from one person to another multiple times in his screenplays — e.g. Carol Marcus & Bones to Kirk in Wrath of Khan; the computer in Voyage Home and Spock's final line to Sarek of 'Yes. Tell her ... I feel fine.' — and it works there. It really works! Does it work here with Geordi & Data with the “I feel ... I feel.” thing? Yeah! It does! Steal from the best!

* Not sure if I’ve made this point before but ... Diana Muldaur still alive! Still shows up in the odd documentary! Kind of disrespectful to bring back everybody else of the main cast and leave her out of it! They’re doing the whole thing with all of them sitting around the conference table and there was even a single shot of the Tasha Yar memorial hologram earlier so, like, come on! You’re missing a piece from the set! It’s not too late to fix this! They did the shwarma post-credits scene for The Avengers (2012) two days after it premièred! Chris Evans had grown a beard! Sit that 84-year old down in front of a Zoom camera and have her sound out the words “Jean-Luc, Starfleet Medical has a mission for you. I’m sending the classified details by courier. Oh, by the way, not for nothing, assume it goes without saying but nevertheless and nonetheless I have to get it on the record one last time : I hated Data so so much and I’m glad it’s double dead. I don’t believe for one second those freaks at Daystrom and Soong’s pervert son managed to bring it back to life in any form or fashion. End transmission.”

* Oh. I forgot to add Raffi’s last name to the list last week. What if they kill Raffi? USS Musawker!? It could happen. I feel like it’d thematically align for this season about Picard’s son named for his dead first Number One to end with the death of Picard’s last Number One. Uh oh, wait, what if they kill the dog!?!? What if that’s what the big Frontier Day plan is all about? They’re going to kill Picard’s vineyard dog!!!!1! (I’m kind of half-kidding here but I think it’d work to end the series by having Château Picard catch fire. Again! Do they have the stomach to kill the dog? I don’t know. They could very well kill the dog. They could kill the Romulan sidepiece. We’ll see!)

* is ... is Picard’s space Alzheimer’s — y’know, his Irumodic syndrome — going to turn out to be a consequence of his assimilation!?!? or are we going to find out that Dr. Crusher deliberately infected him with it so she could give birth to some kind of space god!?!? is it all heading towards a simpler dotting of the i's here and the thing where Christopher Plummer’s Daughter’s hand becomes a talking face, that thing, is just going to be Locutus itself!? I mean, both it and Jack have used the word ‘resistance’. Could be. Could very well be.

double post, oops, was trying to figure out spoiler tags

I was expecting a Borg thing to be behind the red door, but something more individual like Locutus, as in resurrecting him was the Borg / Changeling plan

I don't like flick a switch and the world turns to crap > good guys flick it back to restore it stuff, which might be what ends up happening

I liked Shaw too

I thought Allison Pill was queen of a newer, friendly Borg? Did I miss something?

After finally seeing it, I think the Titan looks more like the Enterprise than the F does. And did Word destroy the E cuz I missed that story too.

What happened to Shaw, while not unexpected, totally sucked

4 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I thought Allison Pill was queen of a newer, friendly Borg? Did I miss something?

After finally seeing it, I think the Titan looks more like the Enterprise than the F does. And did Word destroy the E cuz I missed that story too.

What happened to Shaw, while not unexpected, totally sucked

Jaradi’s Borg was some special sunset, and the ones from Season 1 were de-collectived. I think these Borg are the legit OG collective. That said, acting like we haven’t seen them is BS. When Riker says: No one has heard from the Borg in over a decade.” My first thought was “Guess he didn’t watch the last 2 seasons.”

Titan-A is totally a throwback to the movie era Enterprise, the F was designed for Star Trek online. Odds are if they do more in this era (which they should) they’ll replace it.

I read that in tie-in comics, Worf was made Captain of the E after Picard was promoted. Guess the joke now is he got it destroyed.

Ninth episode.

short version: I’m not made of stone!!!!1!

* Omigosh. Did they get Elizabeth Dennehy for this!? Or will this turn out to be the other Shelby, DS9 Shelby, USS Sutherland Shelby!?!?

* That, uh, that sure looks like her to me! They got her back in the spacesuit! She hated the spacesuit then. Hope it’s more comfortable now!!!!1! Their dialogue makes it absolutely clear it’s her! Assume it’s the same actress!

* Hah hah did they bring her back and kill her off!?!?1? Amazing! Oh nooo poor Mackenzie Calhoun a widower now!

* Oh damn they blew up the Excelsior!!!!1!

* got actual chills at the sight of 1701-D.

* So I guess that line hamhandedly added in to Shaw’s Wolf 359 story several episodes back was just a way of clarifying before the fact Beverly’s statement of “No one has seen or heard from the Borg in over a decade.” Except that line of Gates McFadden’s also sounds ADR’d in to weakly precede her line of “So perhaps the Borg have evolved.” So, uh, what’s the deal!?!?!?!?

* There were one or two little off moments in the episode I think having Geordi saying “You’d better get down to sickbay.” is pretty good on its own (and is possibly even a slight evocation of WoK’s “You’d better get down here”) but adding on top of that “There’s more you need to know about Jack” just goes a hair too far, especially when you consider some of that More You, The Audience, Needs To Know we’re told in that scene is stuff we already know!!!11 but I had a lot of fun watching it! Usually the off moments really really stick out to me because I’m not having fun watching the show. I have to find my fun where I can get it! This time, well, that wasn’t the case!!!1! I think this was the most fun I’ve had watching any episode of ST:P! Is it the best episode? I don’t know. It kind of takes the show’s central theme and literalizes it. If you read this (great!) review of the first season you’ll get what I mean.

But I do think it’s the very first time this year that this season’s (only?) magic trick really really worked on me. Here are the things you recognize!!!!1! Oh hell yeah I recognize those things!!!!1!

* What can I say? Had a lot of fun watching the teaser. Had a lot of fun watching the Jack & Picard scene. Had a lot of fun with the Picard & Data scene, with all the Data & Geordi shtick, the jokes in general really landed this time around. Had a lot of fun watching Jack wander around the Borg cube. Had a lot of fun seeing starships! Had a lot of fun seeing those fireworks! Had a lot of fun watching our characters exchange phaser fire with the assimilated crew!

That’s, like, most of the episode. If I’m enjoying most of the episode it kind of feels almost beneath my notice that, for example, they hit the idea of “Doctor Crusher didn’t realize her son was Borg, oh no, we have to explain this and overexplain this” a little hard. Who cares? Not me!

I think for a finale of the TNG-VOY era, this finale covered everything I had hoped for, at least for TNG.  The only two minor (very minor) quibbles I have are:

1.  They shouldn't have renamed the Titan to the Enterprise-G.

2.  Kinda wished we had more Trek alum for the finale.  The way they name-dropped Janeway all over the place, I expected her to make a cameo.  Would have been nice to see some DS9 folks, like Kira, too.

39 minutes ago, Tank said:

Overall very happy— agree on those two points.

Also, the D looked great with modern effects, but I dont buy it making those snubfighter moves.

I can buy the E-D flying through the cube with Data at the helm (and presumably maybe thruster upgrades?), but if you are going to channel ROTJ, it would have been nice to see the E-D crash into a Borg Cube Bulkhead or two. 

Glad Tuvok's not dead, too.  He's my favorite Vulcan after Spock and Sarek. 

Last episode!

short version: did not like

* Look, even with everything up until now I was all set to come in to this episode with open eyes and an open heart. I was downright eager to have my time wasted yet again. Once more unto the breach!!!1! But I got like five words of dialogue into this very last episode “This is President Anton Chekov” and just deflated. Just experienced a near total sense of defeat. Booooooo! Yes. I am booing an eighty six year old man! No, not really. But I am booing the creative decision to involve him in things at the last moment by having him play a descendant. I can’t really put my finger on why it irks me so. It might not be a defensible reaction on my part. If they’d dragged Walter Koenig into SNW or LD and had him play either Mister Chekov’s Grandpa or Mister Chekov I’d have been absolutely on board. But something about having him be Mister Chekov’s Grandson Or Whatever especially PRESIDENT Mister Chekov’s Grandson Or Whatever really doesn’t sit right with me. I could probably take a stab at explaining it but it involves, like, complaints about all the presidents on ST:D and how the franchise’s attitudes to authority figures has transfigured over the years from assuming the audience will rightfully see them as obstacles to our characters and their moral choices in any given episode to what is now a kind of neo-liberal worship of power for its own sake. We’ve degenerated from resenting the need to lick the boot to patting ourselves on the back because of whose foot rests within the heel. I don’t know. I didn’t like it. President Anton Chekov? Uccccchhh.

* Hah hah. Okay. They have him basically more or less say outright he’s Chekov’s kid. Not his grandson. It’s part of the badly written message he uses the word “young” twice as a noun; he paraphrases Kirk’s lines about what Spock says in WoK the whole sequence takes place over an evocation of the TNG opening credit sequence. Hat upon hat upon hat. Familiar hats! And the main cast’s reaction seems less like they’re listening to a message from the Federation president itself a clear reference to The Voyage Home and more like they’re listening to the confused voices of subspace chatter surrounding him. Was this stuff scripted when they filmed it!?!?

* The rushed attempt to get everyone up to speed during the teaser basically just involves having these characters who all already know what the deal is telling each other what the deal is after the audience has already seen what the deal is during the “Previously On” segment. I don’t know. It comes with the territory, I suppose. It’s television!

* Is ... is Frakes’ line of “They hid a transwarp conduit inside the gases of Jupiter!?” ADR’d in?

* I forget who it was that said this whole season is just, like, a CBS show for boomer grandpas who resent the fact that their kids took away their car keys and loudly insist they can too drive perfectly fine no problem. If so, well, the scene with the alien ensign in the blue uniform going on about how he can’t fly the ship because he had to work at the family deli back home because of his brother’s hernia is kind of the same deal but for Gen X. (Also, I think the actor says “lunar flight class training” instead of “Luna-class flight training”!?!?!?)

* Marina Sirtis saying “I’ve never felt anything like this before”!!!!1! Oh hell yeah! We’re back! We’re back in the sweet spot!

* Patrick Stewart’s line of “Our objective is clear. Locate it and destroy it.” sounds ADR’d.

* The little bit of business where they joke and argue over who has to beam down and who has to stay on the ship isn’t too badly done. I mean, it’s not great. It’s not seamless. But it’s good enough, I think.

* Patrick Stewart’s line of “Once aboard the cube locate the beacon and transmit its coordinates back to the Enterprise.” seems ADR’d.

* The little looks Frakes and Sirtis give each other right before he leaves. Patrick Stewart’s “It’s been an honour serving with you all.” Good stuff!!!1!

* Their dialogue after they beam down to the cube is pretty rough. It takes the long way around to establish that there’s no Borg drones, y’know? And I didn’t like Michael Dorn’s line of “The necrotic tissue is being cannibalized. Consumed.” Does ... does the show think its audience doesn’t know what the word ‘cannibalized’ means!?!?!?!?

* Patrick Stewart’s line of “I can no longer be your captain” seems ADR’d.

* Same deal with “Go find the beacon.”

* Worf says that “There are two turns of phrase a Klingon never admits to knowing. ‘Defeat’ and ‘farewell’.” but but but but ... words are not turns of phrases!?!?!? Words are words. Words are components of turns of phrases and not turns of phrases or even phrases in and of themselves!!!!1! Worf saying this is a little like Worf saying “There are two sandwiches a Klingon never admits to eating. ‘Bread’ and ‘toast’.” I don’t know. I am sure Marc Okrand or whomever will just come forward soon enough and explain this is a unique lexical feature of the Klingon language. Like how “nuqneh” doesn’t really mean “hello”. Why am I pointing this out? I think it’s because for however much some people might be cheering and highfiving over Terry Matalas swooping in and (eventually) hip checking Michael Chabon to the ice this just isn’t the sort of thing he’d ever ever have a character say. Yeah, he’d go too far the other way with it and have characters spouting their own conlangs, I know. But he can manage to clear that very low hurdle. Am I mixing metaphors? Yeah. Well. Matalas or whomever it is this season can only manage to have the characters say two kinds of dialogue : dialogue which doesn’t make sense for this person to say AND dialogue which doesn’t make sense for any person to say.

* I detect a note of metatextual self-congratulation on behalf of the showrunners in Picard’s “You thought of Jack from the beginning. Shielding him from danger. You did everything right.” mostly because it seems a little off that Picard is spending his final moments of communication with Doctor Crusher by interrupting her to reassure her (and the audience!) that it’s okay to do what she did; rather than playing the expected note of farewell which goes right after her telling him about levels and interferences and locations (was there ADR there in the “And I am unable to be more specific with Jack’s location”!? If so, well, it was well done!) but that’s probably just my ressentiment flaring up. Oh well!!!!!1!

* Jack’s Borg shtick the whole You will exist in a universe without fear. A universe without loss. Unbroken. Perfect. Those diseases are of the past.” lays it on a little thick but I think it’s pretty good. It works. I liked it!

* Borg Queen looks great!!!!1!

* I am undecided over whether or not Seven of Nine’s “It’s not tied to the new system. Which means it can’t be controlled like the rest of us” is a necessary bit of business leading us into the fight to get the Titan off the fleet formation network or just yet another line of dialogue where a character says something to someone else who already knows it while the audience listens in being told what THEY already know. It’s probably the former. Raffi didn’t know where they were taking the shuttlecraft last week.

* Look, I, uh ... what I’m about to write is not worth the energy to type it out which is not to say anything I’ve ever written in my life WAS!!!!1!1! but I just gotta get it down for the record. The SFX scenes of the ships firing at the starbase are beautiful, sure, so pretty to look at it but nonetheless and nevertheless the episode is predicated on the idea that a starbase could withstand sustained volleys of fire by every ship in the fleet for half an hour? More? I mean, I guess it does BECAUSE it does. So what I’m saying is I’d like one measly line from somebody. Something like “The fleet’s torpedo complement is limited as vessels were prepped for parade not combat but at this rate the destruction of Spacedock within the hour is a mathematical certainty” or whatever. Something to establish that this makes sense.

* I think that the Borg Queen’s “Until recently there was no collective left. There was only I. It was an unimaginable loneliness. One which Jack and I shared.” is pretty good stuff. “At the very edge of space where you left us. Poisoned. No worlds to consume. No roads by which to return. Just the cruelty to die by starvation and age.” Yeah, I get it. It works. Metatextually, it’s even underlined moments later by having Patrick Stewart paraphrase ST:FC in response.

* Hope these Borg have been too busy dying to upgrade their codecs.” Auggggghhhhhh.

* Picard telling the Borg Queen she’s insane!?!?!? Season 2’s deeply enlightened attitude towards mental illness lives on (again!) in Season 3!!!!!1!

* And then mere moments later she’s the one to paraphrase ST:FC. Uh, is there any rhyme or reason to it!? I suppose because Picard was making the point that she’s consumed what little collective she’s had left, yeah, and her response is that she did so to make this all happen. So he could witness. I.e. watch. I guess it tracks. Yeah, I get it. It works. (What am I saying? I’m saying that I think in this precise and particular instance we’re seeing something more than merely a slapdash and artless deployment of familiar references. Usually that’s what we’re getting when we watch any given episode of ST:P but I think there’s a clarity of purpose here. I think that this conversation between Picard and the Borg Queen is kind of a conversation about the show itself. About the franchise. About what Star Trek is. About what’s left of it.)

* Jeri Ryan’s “That was close” seems ADR’d.

* The bit of business with Riker & Worf and the gun hidden in the hilt is ... kind of balanced between good and bad. It’s good because it is, as Michael Dorn says, fun. But it’s bad because having our characters ask why something didn’t happen before when something fun happens doesn’t really solve the problem. It just calls attention to the problem. A series finale is too late to be asking these questions!!!1! You just gotta trust that we’re willing to go along with the fun. Like, for example, last week. No. Wait. The week before last week. Picard uses a super special access code which they call a codex to gain control of the Titan. But they had a whole thing in the very first episode where Picard needed to gain control of the Titan. I don’t need a line of dialogue to tell us why he couldn’t use his super special access code his codex; I guess I should be grateful that when the Borg Queen was going on about machine code and genetic code she kept it simple! early in the season but could use it later in the season. I’m willing to go along with the fun. I’m all about the fun. Clearly!!!!1! But it’d probably help soothe that little ache if they hadn’t called attention to what he’s doing (and thus the apparent contradiction) by having him call it a ‘codex’. Same deal here. Just have the fun happen. The fun isn’t always enhanced by having a character call it fun. The problem isn’t always ameliorated by having a character point it out.

* LeVar Burton’s “The only way to take out that hive is to take out that beacon” seems ADR’d. His line of “We go with Data’s gut” ... I don’t know. Could be ADR. Could’ve been said on set.

* Having the 1701-D go through the interior of the cube like the Falcon going through the Death Star in RotJ is, well, Deanna Troi may be sensing enjoyment but it’s not coming from me. I don’t like it! Don’t like to see it.

* Brent Spiner’s half-line of “We destroy the beacon” seems ADR’d. Did they ... did they simplify everything down in post so it’d be super duper clear to the audience what’s going on, what the stakes are, strip away any and all Borg goobledygook and have it just be “the beacon” this and “the beacon” that!?!? Because nearly every line about the beacon seems ADR’d!!!!!!!1!

* Jonathan Frakes’ smile at Michael Dorn’s line of “There was a moment today where I was worried we might actually survive” doesn’t really get quite the focus it deserves. But it’s a great little moment!

* Flashing back to ST:FC! Dumb!

* “Perfection isn’t evolution. This is death.” Hah hah. There’s a thin line here between what they’re doing and just .... patting themselves on the back for making a bad show!?!?

* Picard and Jack’s little talk standing in front of a (literal!) green screen isn’t super duper great. Spliced together dialogue. Kind of on the nose. But all in all I liked it. I thought it was good enough! I mean, the hug, the flashbacks to the show itself no problem here of making me wish I was watching those episodes instead! I could’ve maybe done without those.

* Hah hah I just put it together that in addition to the show being about Grampa’s car keys the finale is kind of “I am not a deadbeat dad my evil ex can not keep me from my child I do not care what family court says the judge has brainwashed everyone else against me”.

* I think there should’ve been a line about communication coming in from the Titan because as is it’s just super weird to have those four (4) characters standing around like in a publicity photo both Seven and Raffi have their arms crossed! and Geordi giving them an ambiguous look!?!?!?

* Worf snoozing is of a piece with the vomit from Ensign LaForge a few episodes back. Just absolutely tempting fate!!!!!1!

* “Stardate, shall we say, one.” Nope. Bad! Starting to suspect the Borg actually won! Maybe it’s just a prejudice I share with Grant Morrison they always have their upstart youth characters do this; it happens during the ‘Riot at Xavier’s’ arc in New X-Men, it happens in All Star Superman, I think it happens in one or two other places as well but anybody telling you this is on the wrong side of history. They’re firmly declaring to you that they think history HAS sides. Nope! And, like, I just don’t get why you don’t want to have us hear Jonathan Frakes say some numbers. Let us hear Jonathan Frakes say some numbers!

* Didn’t like the Holoshaw scene. It’s like, damn, your gruff TA who deadnames you really thinks you’ve got what it takes to excel!?!? Why does every finale of every Star Trek season now end with people’s homework being graded!!!!!!!?1?1?1?

* The scene with Raffi and Raffi’s ex is so badly done! They clearly jiggered it together in post. It’s just Raffi lovingly caressing the video of her granddaughter and they’ve reconfigured it to have her in reconciliation with her asshole ex!!!!!!1! And then cut’n’spliced her conversation with Worf so it matches up! Dumb! I disliked three or four other things about their final scene together but come on already.

* PICARD: If ever there was better evidence that the past mattered ... it’s right here.

GEORDI: How many times has she managed to save the world?

RIKER: No doubt more than the years will allow three old men to remember.

GEORDI: You know, it’s difficult to imagine what we all might have been without her.

RIKER: Different. Certainly. But certainly not better.

PICARD: *sighs*

GEORDI: Computer, initiate shutdown sequence.

COMPUTER: Shutdown procedure initiated.

RIKER: I miss that voice.

PICARD: Take care of her, Geordi.

GEORDI: Yes, sir. After all, she’s always taken good care of us.

What!? What does this mean!?!? What is Picard saying!?!? I mean, I know there’s an answer to Geordi’s question. I think it’s in one of Christopher L. Bennett’s annotations to his novels. It’s a surprisingly small number of times! But I don’t get what Picard is saying and I don’t get what Riker’s saying. Is Riker saying they’re all senile!?!? Am I ... am I going senile? Did they realize at the last second they needed a scene like the Cheers (‘82-’93) finale where the lights are turned off and decided to just write it in half a minute!?!?

* Picard’s “Names mean almost nothing” transmuting into Jack’s “Names mean almost everything.” in the space of thirty or so seconds in order to sell the moment of us seeing a new Enterprise is just .... just insufficient. It just doesn’t work for me. It’s not to my taste. I’ll rescind this point if it turns out this is a reprise of a prior conversation between the pair of them in earlier episodes, though. Was it? I don’t remember. Uccccchhhhh.

* Thought the bridge scene with Jack, Seven, Raffi, Junior LaForge, Bajoran Guy With A Human First Name Even Though Bajorans Have Their First Names Last Come On Now, Ensign Who Suffered A Demotion When The Borg Failed To Conquer The Universe .... who else, who else, think that’s it ... well, I thought it was pretty rough stuff. Did not like it. Did not think it was up to snuff. Didn’t even like how it ended! I guess I’m just a grouch.

* I was going to make a joke about the Xindi attack when we saw Orlando on the list of holiday destinations when Troi was browsing through her phone while Data blabbered. And I thought better of it. But them bringing it up again during this bar scene forces my hand. Wait, this bar scene is a year after that therapy scene so ... they’ve been putting this vacation off a year!?!? What!? I know she said it’s a lot of work but come on already!!!!1! Generally speaking, I don’t see how the decision to make Troi and Riker a couple who moved out of the big city to the boonies and have now opted to unretire really tracks in any way with TNG’s vision of a post-scarcity future.

* Okay, quoting Shakespeare!!!!1! Gotta play the hits!!!!11!

* I mean, I don’t know how you end this show. I guess ending it the way they ended it last time around is maybe the least bad choice. Okay. But the midcredits sequence may as well be them just throwing their hands up in the air and admitting they’re creatively bankrupt. Empty heads. No hearts. Stupid stupid stupid.

* Oh hey wait. One last thing. Correct me if I’m wrong but Seven and Raffi and Trill Doctor and Ensign Gen X Dumb Dumb retake the Titan and then ... don’t really do anything!? Nothing that matters. They don’t save anyone. They don’t buy anyone any time. They don’t come in for the rescue. They cloak the ship and fire some phasers in between. They realize that the Enterprise’s there in Jupiter and don’t do anything to help. I figure I must be wrong about this. I figure I must have forgotten something. Did these characters exist in most of this episode’s action just to spout exposition and establish stakes!?!? Would the galaxy have been saved regardless even if Geordi’s Daughters once freed had decided to just merk all these characters on the bridge first before going to the engine room to destroy the cloaking device!? I am surely mistaken. I’m not being sarcastic. I gotta assume if I doublecheck by rewatching that part of the episode or reading a summary on the wiki or a recap on some nerd news website I will find out I’m wrong here. So, well, if you’ve been reading this and shaking your head and thinking I just didn’t get it, well, now’s your chance to prove how much I didn’t get it. Now’s your chance. Show me how I’m wrong and stupid and didn’t even understand what I was watching!!!1! Go on!

* Did they stick the landing? The plane never lifted off in the first place! The plane idled on the tarmac for ten hours. (This is the third time this plane has done this!) And now it’s gone right back to the gate! Moments before I disembarked from my flight to nowhere the pilot and the co-pilot and the cabin crew got down on their knees in front of me and begged me, begged me with all their little hearts, to go on another trip with them. Please! Please!! Pretty please!! Won’t you come fly with us again? It’ll be the ex-vigilante who murdered someone she had consensual sex with, the paranoid schizophrenic drug addict grandma, two kids of characters you actually liked in your now long past youth, and that’s it. Everyone else who was on my plane before is dead or gone or unaffordable. I should forget they ever existed!!!1!

* Verdict: I think this might be the worst finale of any Star Trek spin-off. The least enjoyable to watch. Jeri Ryan, Tim Russ, and Alice Krige are two for two for bad finales that are boring reduxes of ‘All Good Things’ and ST:FC!!!!1!

As an industry insider, I think you should know. At minimum 30-40% of any episode of TV is generally ADRed. I've never seen anyone seem to get tripped up by it as much as you. Movies are closer to 70-80% ADR. It's pretty common practice. Maybe your feed has a lag or something that makes audio out of sync?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.