Picard

Tank

17 hours ago, Tank said:

A recast younger/hotter Dax.

Hotter than the 2 we had? That’s pretty d@mn hot! :yes:

Janeway makes sense as you said - lots of references to her already. And Enterprise-A? Oh yes please! You can hear someone say “Sir - someone is stealing the Enterprise!” 
As long as it’s not blown up - let’s not keep destroying / killing the iconic elements!

I loved the starships!   Voyager, Enterprise A,  New Jersey (TOS era connie), Defiant, the Bounty!  Attack tribbles! No wonder the Klingons wiped out the tribble home world!  So why was Kirk's body kept in cold storage, I wonder? Picard's is obvious for plot reasons.   And, Data is back! Kind of. and so is Lore, B4, and Soong.  

Everything there is for sciency reasons. Daystrom is not like a normal vault-- so yeah, why would they have Kirk?

Pretty sure Picard's body was stolen because something is up with his syndrom, that they now say Jack has too. There's something more to the visions and stuff, Picard's body being the goal seals it for me.

I was really hoping we'd see more of the Ent-A in action... we still may!

Also, thanks to internet nerd freeze frames, other ships at the museum include: The Excelsior, NX-01, Kronos-1, a TOS era Romulan warbird, and the Stargazer. Basically every hero ship we've ever seen in Trek save for the ones that were destroyed, and the Enterprise-E.

I was surprised they didn't show the Enterprise-E.  I mean going back in time to save Earth from the Borg  should earn a spot at the Museum.

I will have to rewatch because I missed the NX-01.   I did see Kronos-1 and the Romulan bird of prey.  

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I guess the Nx-01 is the not seen onscreen refit version they had planned for season 5 which gave it a secondary hull like the classic Enterprise.

I caught it.  Just before Kronos 1.  My tv reeds at the 30.00 mark.  

Pretty sure Picard's body was stolen because something is up with his syndrom, that they now say Jack has too. There's something more to the visions and stuff, Picard's body being the goal seals it for me.

I am still thinking the fact Picard was a borg has something to do with what he passed onto Jack.  The syndrome coupled with borg nanoprobes Picard didn't know he had might be it.  The syndrome itself doesn't explain why Jack goes all John Wick.   But whatever it is, the changelings fear it. 

I was really hoping we'd see more of the Ent-A in action... we still may!

Damn I hope you are right!

Sixth episode!

short version: not good

* The opening teaser is garbage but I’ll say this for it : it’s almost almost almost the right kind of garbage. What kind of garbage is it this week? It’s a villain explaining their evil plan and killing an objecting subordinate. You’ve seen that in movies so the assumption is you’ll enjoy it here. Maybe you did. I didn’t! Because true Star Trek has the villain explaining their evil plan by arguing about it with an objecting subordinate. That’s to set up the objecting subordinate turning on the villain once the plot has sufficiently progressed. Then and only then can you maybe get the villain killing the subordinate. Sometimes it goes the other way! This is the sort of thing a fan wiki somewhere probably has a list of all the times it happens but for me right now in this moment only the classic instance of this is popping to mind — Lawrence Montaigne and Mark Lenard in the first Romulan episode of TOS; the one SNW decided to retell for its season finale — along with two of the many many many times this went down on VOY. Uh, the two-parter with Kurtwood Smith and the two-parter with the holograms of all the Alpha Quadrant species.

* “To conceal what? The theft of something else?”

“Steal the diamonds so nobody checks on the pearls.”

Again, almost the right kind of garbage! Star Trek simplifies exposition and catches the audience up to the state of affairs by using this kind of metaphorical talk all the time, sure, but it usually makes certain to sprinkle in a little bit of SF gobbledygook for flavouring. It does this even if it’s explaining away SF gobbledygook! Especially if! This should be something like “Steal the Altairan diamonds so nobody checks on the pearls” or “Steal the diamonds so nobody checks on the Alvanian pearls”.

* Not even going to complain over the awkwardness of the conversation with Riker insisting that he knows who Section 31 are. What can you do?

* Have just started accepting the ADR and letting each individual instance pass by without comment. Even more so than I’ve been doing up ‘til now. I’ve decided that it’s diegetic. It’s, uh, it’s all the Universal Translator’s fault! It makes people’s speech sometimes sound like it’s cobbled together after the fact!

* Splicing footage of the old show into this one just reminds me I could be watching TNG instead!

* Uh, the NCC-1701-A was canonically destroyed by the corona of one of Chal’s binary stars. William Shatner told us so! Yeah, I know Scotty said in his TNG episode he thought maybe Kirk had got it out of mothballs to rescue him but he’s an old man. He’s a drunk. He gets confused sometimes. You can tell!

* “The USS Voyager. She made her name farther out than any of those other relics had ever gone. I was reborn there. She was my home. Her crew were my family. And now...”, look if Jack had let her finish instead of rudely interrupting Seven would probably have completed that sentence with “... I just can’t help but wonder what happened to Neelix. I left him in the middle of a game of online kadis-kot. No clue if he knows we all made it back to the Alpha Quadrant. He probably thinks we’re dead! I mean, he was a kiddy fiddler. So I heard. That was mostly before my time. But that was the rumour. Crewman Chell told me.”

* Brent Spiner repeatedly pronounces the word גּוֹלֶם‎ as ‘Gollum’. Okay!

* Did they cut out a substantial amount of LeVar Burton’s dialogue re: his daughters!? He says, “I never feared for my life. Not the way I fear for hers.” What? Should be ‘theirs’, right!? I mean, there’s a little bit in there establishing that he’s got the one quote unquote good kid that beamed over with him in this episode and the one quote unquote bad kid who’s been on the show all season but, like, not enough. Kind of the same deal as last year where it genuinely seemed like Monsieur and Mademoiselle Picard had only the one kid with the scant exception of a single line of voiceover to make it clear that Picard’s brother was away at school. Sloppy stuff! The episode’s so long no matter what! Let us hear LeVar Burton explain it all in full!

* The little side-eye Patrick Stewart and Jeri Ryan give each other when Captain Shaw is excited and a teensy bit tongue tied in the presence of his hero is a pretty good moment.

* “My guess: superior Klingon technology.” did ... did John Rogers have a lunch with these guys or something!? That’s very much a John Rogers joke! That’s a joke from his and Andrea De Vito’s Dungeons & Dragons comic!

* Having him call himself Daystrom Android M5-10 is, well, can’t blame them for going full nerd with it. It’s exactly what should be done!

* wait if those two people Vadic phasered to death were non-changelings then that means Starfleet personnel were okay with standing by and watching an old man get brutally beaten right in front of uccch why even bother

* Verdict: there’s obviously something worthwhile in all this. This episode could’ve been a good one! Our hero bouncing between two locations — one where all that’s good in his history is shown on display, one where all that’s sinister is kept hidden — only to rescue and revive a living synthesis of those dichotomies who then tells him that what they’re all looking for is his own corpse, yeah, it tracks. It plays. It matches with what Picard and Picard’s son is going through. It matches with what Geordi and Geordi’s daughter is going through. It all works on paper. It’s got good bones! It’s just executed in such a haphazard fashion that the final product isn’t particularly pleasing to me.

And we know Riker is still alive. And I'm pretty sure all the DS9 cast was held captive at some point.

I'm over the WHAT IS JACK storyline. After  couple weeks of momentum, this episode felt like a dead stop again. Probably my least favorite of the season. 

seventh episode.

short version: not too bad!!!1!

* Strong opening with that Chin’toka Scrapyard chyron made even stronger by seeing Tuvok again. The teaser is dumped in the trash by the slight misprision of both Geordi and Tuvok — hearing LeVar Burton saying the words “You can’t keep doing this. Maybe it’s time we just accept it.” generates an awful awful awful feeling, Geordi’s the guy with three treknobabble solutions for every obstacle thrown the ensemble’s way, he’s a happy warrior, he’d be willing and able to put Picard through the wringer coldcalling every number in the phonebook, come on; and as for Tuvok the idea that he’d be wary of going to a place because of anti-kolinahr demonstrations, get real, the guy spent years of his working life getting microaggressed, having plomeek soup spilled down the front of his uniform, literally being called “Mr. Vulcan”, Neelix was a walking talking stack of HR complaints for the better part of a decade and it didn’t faze him in the least, am I supposed to believe Seven of Nine can’t see that Tuvok doesn’t care one whit about any kind of anti-kolinahr demonstrator anywhere anyplace, as far as he’s concerned lives are at stake now and this is where I’d start going on about how for all the foibles of TNG it still represented a genuine liberal vision and nowadays the guys making Trek are having their lib heroes be afraid of public protest because they assume their audience no matter how they vote shares that perspective but I digress — but for a moment there it was pretty good. In the sweet spot right at the top for mere seconds. Can’t really complain.

* Christopher Plummer’s daughter’s line of “I thought you’d be taller” is a Peter David line. I mean, I assume he ripped it off from somewhere too. Still, add it to the heap!

* I’m not sure that the idea of what the baddies are strictly lines up with the timeline of events from DS9 but I can’t really be bothered to check. It’s good! It’s good stuff!

* Doctor Crusher talking aloud about maybe having to do a little genocide, just a little little genocide, just a little teensy tinsy bit as a treat? Okay. Fine. The conversation they have at the top of the episode mulling it over in the briefing room isn’t great, her take on things can’t really be easily squared with her attitude in the TNG episode with Hugh, but whatever. I’ll accept it because the entire thing is framed by these characters understanding that it’s the wrong thing to do. Trying to hit that sour note twice over by having her and Picard going on with each other about if they can really find it within themselves to summarily execute a prisoner without trial? Come on. That’s a bridge too far. I get what it’s doing. I get what it’s supposed to be. I just don’t like it. It’s not what it has to be to make it work for me.

* All in all, though, this is probably a decent tie for the best episode of the season so far. Which puts it in contention for the best of the series. Just turning down the lights on the standing sets and having everybody shoot aliens like it’s an evening out at laser tag is always a fun time on a Star Trek show. I appreciate the restraint of not cutting away for a scene of Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis or a scene of what Worf & Raffi were up to. I appreciate that we just take it as a given that our heroes have shebanged together a half-plausible trap out of some existing Vulcan wreckage rather than needing dialogue explaining how they did that. I liked getting to know some semblance of what the deal is with everything — don’t get me wrong, I’ll take the L on my fantheorizing after the final seconds of the series finale and not a moment earlier, as far as I’m concerned I’m still right on the money for the core of it — and I’m looking forward to next week’s episode. This is not to say there wasn’t a dozen things about this episode I didn’t like (there were! they’re there! lots of lines I didn’t like! lots of ADR! and, y’know, I don’t really get the idea of doing a thing about how Jack Crusher can’t stand the thought of people dying on his behalf only for the episode to end with nobody, count it, no one dying on his behalf!?!?!? you’ve got all these people with distinctive make-ups and ranks and names! why have so many if you’re not willing to merk the Bajoran guy or merk the Vulcanish lady or merk the Trill doctor or merk the alien who’s the species from the TNG episode ripping off Laura (1944) which was one of the ones I watched to shake off the bad feeling of a Season 1 episode pre-covid!?!? no, I don’t rate those two nobodies who die right before Shaw gets mauled!!!1! I’m not even sure they’re dead! Could be they’re just stunned! Wouldn’t make sense if the shapeshifters are on a capture mission for them to deal out lethal fire every which way indiscriminately!) which I never bothered to address. Nevertheless, it’s a good one. I enjoyed watching it. Can’t go too wrong with a Star Trek episode which is mostly just people talking and people firing phasers. It’s an episode of Star Trek where Geordi asks Data not to do some crazy android thing!!!1! No pertinent examples come to mind as I type this sentence but that was sort of their deal as often as not.

* Oh. One last thing. Going down the list of what the USS Titan could be renamed for the finale there’s always the obvious choice but just to cover the spread I think strong contenders are:

USS Picard

USS La Sirena (assuming the real one blows up, of course)

USS Shaw

USS Constance (think that was the name of his ship. not gonna check)

Could be the Titan goes boom boom kablam. Can’t rule it out! In that case the above names are for the new one, I suppose. And I also want to place my marker down as saying that if Shaw dies but is resurrected via Borg nanoprobes so he can be in a spin-off or whatever that still counts. He still died.

Good to see Worf in action again, and rescuing Riker and Troi.  I thought they might be killed off.  Glad they weren't.  Good to have Data back.  Kinda over the Jack Crusher superpower stuff.  Vadic was starting to wear a little thin with the over the top acting, so glad that's over with. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.