Picard

Tank

whut

It's timeless. Generally agreed upon to be the best Star Trek story ever.

The FX work is some of the best ever made-- the model work is so good that to this day the Enterprise in this movie still my favorite spaceship because it feels so real.

Sure, Khan himself is melodramatic and over the top... and so is Shatner, but that's part of the fun.

I rewatched it recently for the first time in years expecting it to not hold up. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it not only held up, it's one of the great sci-fi films of all time.

100%!

It's Star Trek, but it has both a very human post-modern action hero turns old story, as well as a legit, hard scifi narrative that drives ethical questions, all hidden inside a revenge movie.

whut

It's timeless. Generally agreed upon to be the best Star Trek story ever.

The FX work is some of the best ever made-- the model work is so good that to this day the Enterprise in this movie still my favorite spaceship because it feels so real.

Sure, Khan himself is melodramatic and over the top... and so is Shatner, but that's part of the fun.

YYYYYYESESSSSSSE!

Wrath of Khan probably should be the entry point for anyone wondering just what is this Star Trek thing. Perhaps ironically, even though it is a sequel to a TOS episode it feels completely self contained. Everything you need to know to get the characters and the setting is all in the film and on top of that it is just a really well done film.

Back in the day I introduced my Granddad to Star Trek through it as well. He of course was familiar, as many people are in a cursory sense, but he had not been a fan. He served in the Royal Navy as an engineer and Chief Petty Officer during WWII, so I figured he would really get the intentional mirroring that Nick Meyer did to classic war films with Khan. He did, and he really enjoyed it. Anyway...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Every time I see a trailer or piece of promotional advertisement or online-speculation/confirmation-that-Michael-Dorn-is-gonna-be-in-this or what have you it really gets me how weird television is, how weird the entertainment landscape in general is, that this is going to be a for real TV show instead of

a video game or an IDW comic or series of licensed ghostwritten books 'authored' by Patrick Stewart or whatever. They're making this. They (Michael Chabon?!) already made it.

• 2 months later...

From what I've heard, they are respecting the set up to the Kelvin timeline in that Romulus was destroyed, Spock tried to intervene, Picard tried to help. If that's true... (and I suspect it is because the comic book written to bridge the Prime TNG/Spock to the Abrams reboot was authored by Robert Kurtzman, who is now overseeing all Trek for CBS)... then that means...

Data died 20 years ago which would be Nemesis, but promo materials say Picard has been out for 15 years. So something happened post Romulus blowing up.

My guess is Starfleet deactivated B4 against Picard's wishes

So my guess is, after losing their homeworld the Romulans are craving a major advantage, and are messing with Borg tech to do it.

Man, I should work in Hollywood!

Anyone else watch it? Despite all the rumors I've heard of the production being a nightmare, I loved it.

It's the Primeverse through and through, it's the modern version of Trek I have been dying for since Nemesis let me down.

I thought it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

• Repetitive! Picard has a dream and then Picard has a dream! Picard goes to a sci-fi place (Starfleet Archives) and then Picard goes to a sci-fi place (Daystrom Insitute)!

• It can't decide whether it's for die-hard dyed-in-the-wool Memory Alpha editors or casual fans of Star Trek (a category which probably includes, well, possibly a large plurality of literally all living fans of televised non-'reality' non-sports narrative programming). What needs to be explained and what doesn't need to be explained shifts from scene to scene because of this! The episode takes your familiarity with the minutiae of Star Trek for granted sometimes (like, say, understanding that you can instantaneously grasp the difference between a hologram and a 'synthetic') and sometimes will just tell you who Data is and then, again, tell you who Data is. Sometimes its attempts to address the presumed need to paper over the gaps in the assumed audience's knowledge can be downright jolting, sometimes its supposition that leaving a minor thematic connection unmentioned is an unforgivable sin forces them to ADR a line of dialogue in where its completely unnecessary. Sometimes both of these types of sin pass nearly unnoticed, but they're there!

• The episode doesn't even trust the audience or the actors to leave the meaning of the Dunkirk exchange unspoken! Picard doesn't have to berate Francie from Alias about it! We know what's up!

• The episode ends by showing us a Borg Cube but nobody even so much as says the word 'Borg' for the entire episode. That'd be like doing a Sherlock Holmes movie that ends with surprising us by showing us Professor Moriarty without ever mentioning him before, oh wait, they did that and I loved it, uh, gotta think of a better example here.

My hopes weren't high for this because I saw the little tiny short Discovery episode Michael Chabon wrote for one of my favourite actors and it was terrrrrrrrrrrrrible. Like a piece of fanfiction written by the Strange New Worlds I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, and X editors that they freely admit breaks all their rules but still bothered to print anyway kind of terrrrrrrrrible.

(Smallest exception : I love Picard's dog. I will watch so long as the dog lives. Or, well, it's okay if it dies but then its katra has to be transferred to another dog and they have to take the dogs to the top of Mt. Selaya in Season 2.)

Oh, wait, predictions! I predict :

- that's not genetically altered Romulans in the black-ops motorgear - they're Vulcans
- the synthetics who blew up Mars did it for perfectly understandable reasons! The putative rescue fleet being assembled there for Romulus was never going to be used for that purpose. It was actually the beginning of a clandestine war machine designed to crush the Federation's enemies and enact genocide on a massive scale in the interests of the military-industrial complex. The ninety thousand lives they took were a drop in the bucket compared to that and the lives of the Romulan refugees were already lost; the Federation was never going to rescue them.
- this is more of a wish than a prediction but I want to see Colm Meaney and Michelle Forbes. I kind of think they're who belong on Picard's team for this sort of story, they should really be full-time cast members for this kind of show functioning as it is, in any case, I hope that every one of Picard's little group he's going to gather together isn't all new people, they can be new to the audience but they shouldn't be new to the character. At least one or two of them should be someone he served with on the Stargazer or the Enterprise (D or E). Actually, if I had my druthers, it'd be, like, an alien crewman with Benjamin Buttonitis who was old then and is now young but facing death in the face to fit w/the show's particular preoccupations.
-omigosh I just put it together they're kind of doing Robin and Marian (1976), we're going to see Jean-Luc Picard die with our own two eyes

I hate pay walls. I am waiting until this is on physical media or amazon prime in the US (if it ever gets there). I'm interested, but after reading wikipedia's summary of the first episode, I'm now not in a hurry to see this.

I think I read that it's going to be on Amazon Prime video on Fridays? Our problem is that my husband is so used to binge watching on Netflix now that the Mandalorian about killed him.

I hate pay walls. I am waiting until this is on physical media or amazon prime in the US (if it ever gets there). I'm interested, but after reading wikipedia's summary of the first episode, I'm now not in a hurry to see this.

I think I read that it's going to be on Amazon Prime video on Fridays? Our problem is that my husband is so used to binge watching on Netflix now that the Mandalorian about killed him.

My understanding was that outside the US, that is true. But I got excited when you mentioned that, but it looks like Amazon just redirects to CBS All Access.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Picard-Teaser/dp/B07S5HX14T/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=star+trek+picard&qid=1579990390&sr=8-1

Maybe when Season 2 debuts, season 1 will be on Prime at that point?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.