Picard

Tank

I got the reverse. It felt more like inspirational hope to me-- like he's back to right things.

If we're talking about the look, that's just how scifi has evolved. I love Orville, but it looks so janky and cheap.

Also, adding a bit of darkness to Trek is nothing new. In fact, the franchise would be dead had Wrath of Khan (universally agreed upon as the best Trek thing ever) not overhauled Trek's tone to be much darker and militaristic.

That's also because it is cheap. The Orville's budget is nothing compared to a lot of the competition.

Yeah but when you consider Seth MacFarlane convinced Fox to bankroll his fan film cosplay fun time, it's decent enough!

SO Picard quits Starfleet because Data. Then apparently dismantles B4. Then he is sullen about it for 20 years. How is that not grimdark? Until Karate borg girl?

Is that from other released information? Because in the promo it just says that Data sacrificed himself 20 years ago and he's been trying belong here for the past few years. So from that material, it doesn't flow that he quit because of Data and was sullen for 20 years. If anything, it sounds like he tried to retire and then realized that he can't retire.

Spiners deaging was necessary, basically, but it looks like it needs another rendering pass or whatever. I dunno. Maybe its just series budget stuff, doesnt seem on par with Michael Douglas in the Marvel films.

That said, looks very neat and I also got a hopeful vibe from the trailer.

I do agree with El that it seems weird that B4 was just deactivated or whatever, but maybe there is an explanation to come. Such as, perhaps B4 was active for a few years after but malfunctioned or something and was dismantled then.

Lastly, it happened... Patrick is old. He looked and sounded so frail in that trailer. Perhaps intentional, perhaps just reality.

From what I've heard, they are respecting the set up to the Kelvin timeline in that Romulus was destroyed, Spock tried to intervene, Picard tried to help. If that's true... (and I suspect it is because the comic book written to bridge the Prime TNG/Spock to the Abrams reboot was authored by Robert Kurtzman, who is now overseeing all Trek for CBS)... then that means...

Data died 20 years ago which would be Nemesis, but promo materials say Picard has been out for 15 years. So something happened post Romulus blowing up.

My guess is Starfleet deactivated B4 against Picard's wishes, and he left over it. In fact, given we see him taking on a civilian crew, I think the plea we see him make to Starfleet goes ignored, so he goes off on his own to DO THE THING.

Maybe that involves stealing B4 and re-assembling him?

I think you've made up your mind.

Not made up entirely, but I've been burned before. I am skeptical.

From what I've heard, they are respecting the set up to the Kelvin timeline in that Romulus was destroyed, Spock tried to intervene, Picard tried to help. If that's true... (and I suspect it is because the comic book written to bridge the Prime TNG/Spock to the Abrams reboot was authored by Robert Kurtzman, who is now overseeing all Trek for CBS)... then that means...

Data died 20 years ago which would be Nemesis, but promo materials say Picard has been out for 15 years. So something happened post Romulus blowing up.

My guess is Starfleet deactivated B4 against Picard's wishes, and he left over it. In fact, given we see him taking on a civilian crew, I think the plea we see him make to Starfleet goes ignored, so he goes off on his own to DO THE THING.

Maybe that involves stealing B4 and re-assembling him?

In the Countdown comic, Data was resurrected in B4s body, and was captain of the Enterprise, and Picard was an ambassador while they were trying to prevent the destruction of Romulus. I wonder if they will work that in or not.

That could still work, if Data did something wrong as Captain and Starfleet decommissioned him.

One of the things I really liked was how different all those pointy-eared characters were. I dunno if they are Vulcan or Romulan or whatever. Im just happy everyone doesnt have a mop top, that got really tired. Afterthought: I dunno what it is with me and hairstyles. lol

I had assumed Vulcans given that in the TNG era they had forehead ridges (which I never liked), but all the official supplementary stuff that came out following the trailers says they are Romulan-- which again, ties into the post-Nemesis comics and backstory for the Kelvin-verse spinoffs.

I don't see Discovery being mentioned, unless they ended up in this time after the last jump in the end of season 2. Either way, its the same production team, so you have to consider them at least aware of each other the same way that TNG/DS9/VOY were.

Really curious if the new Klingon look will be used in STP.

So this young lady...

Borg Queen? Too obvious? She seems to teleport like a Borg. Hughs offspring? Would they get that geeky? Borg but unrelated to the past is probably more likely, I guess.

Another thought I had, left field wise... maybe she is a Crusher. Wesleys offspring after he evolved to Traveler form.

Is she the one that teleports? I think she kicked a dude over the edge of a railing and he teleported as fell. Those attackers, based on their guns, are Romulan.

Also, it looks like Romulan ships surrounded theBorg cube, which also is either damaged or under construction.

So my guess is, after losing their homeworld the Romulans are craving a major advantage, and are messing with Borg tech to do it.

I would have sworn it was her that teleports, but maybe not. I guess Ill have to rewatch the trailer.

Edit in: I do think it is her, but the quick cut makes it difficult to tell. Watching the moment back a few times I am not sure she is teleporting whether like a Borg or something like a Traveler, because a sound similar to a Starfleet transporter plays as she vanishes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.