TOP GUN: Maverick

Tank

This movie kicked ass. The right amount of nostalgia. An actual story. Let's face it, Top Gun had a fairly thin premise. And they had enough restraint not to redo the "You've got that loving feeling" routine. Great Balls of fire!!!

Also having the pilot's call sign Bob was great. I wonder if there are pilots out there with that call sign.

We watched the original earlier this evening. It has been a while. It's ended up being like the karate kid. Like Johnny you remember Iceman bring this huge dick when he really wasn't. The comparisons to Ice and Hangman are not even close. Hangman we actually more like Maverick. Dangerous and you couldn't always count on him. 

Hangman as a pilot is alot more like Maverick. I actually thought we'd get more of a storyline of Mav mentoring him as well. I read that the actor originally auditioned for Rooster and didn't get it. But they liked him alot so they beefed up the part of Hangman specifically for him. 

If you look at it Hangman/Rooster dynamic is somewhat like Iceman/Maverick. As pilots though they are both like Maverick. Hangman brash willing to leave his squad "hanging". Rooster cautious not wanting to risk anything is post Goose dying Maverick.

This movie was F"ing" AWESOME!  I can't remember the last time I left theatre with that exact feeling.  So Good

On 5/29/2022 at 10:32 PM, Hobbes said:

The best nod to the original film was the inclusion of Penny.

How was this the best nod to the original?  I loved the character, especially that she was played by Jennifer Connelly but wasn't she a totally new character?

Bob was played by Bill Pullman's son

41 minutes ago, Nomaa Jedi Piarra said:

This movie was F"ing" AWESOME!  I can't remember the last time I left theatre with that exact feeling.  So Good

How was this the best nod to the original?  I loved the character, especially that she was played by Jennifer Connelly but wasn't she a totally new character?

Haven’t seen Maverick yet, we need to find a time where my wife and I both free and can get a babysitter, but we did recently watch the original. Penny is named as one of Maverick’s previous sexual partners, I think an admiral’s daughter.

1 hour ago, Nomaa Jedi Piarra said:

There are two references to Penny in the original. The first being the funniest when Maverick and Goose are getting chewed out over the floor by and then disobeying orders to save Cougar. Best reference? I wouldn't go they far.

The best reference isn't even to this series. The mission objective is the Death Star run. 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:48 AM, Metropolis said:

There are two references to Penny in the original. The first being the funniest when Maverick and Goose are getting chewed out over the floor by and then disobeying orders to save Cougar. Best reference? I wouldn't go they far.

The best reference isn't even to this series. The mission objective is the Death Star run. 

Oh yeah, Penny Benjamin. I was trying to figure out where I knew that name from.

We went to the movie today. I thought that the middle of the movie kind of dragged out a bit, but the last 45 minutes was awesome. 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.