TOP GUN: Maverick

Tank

The trailer sold me and my wife a ticket for opening day. That trailer was nearly as good as The Force Awakens trailer for igniting a nostalgic longing I didnt think I had (in Star Wars case because of the Prequels and in this... well, its just Top Gun).

I seriously question if it's even possible to make a good sequel to this movie now. It's a total product of the 80s.

I feel like the only way you could do this, is if you treat this as a standalone film, wherein the old hero who is being told he’s not relevant has to DO THE THING TO SAVE THE DAY.

And his backstory is this nostalgia-filled, sweaty, 80s homoerotic flashback sequence that just so happens to exist as its own movie.

I seriously question if it's even possible to make a good sequel to this movie now. It's a total product of the 80s.

I feel like the only way you could do this, is if you treat this as a standalone film, wherein the old hero who is being told he’s not relevant has to DO THE THING TO SAVE THE DAY.

And his backstory is this nostalgia-filled, sweaty, 80s homoerotic flashback sequence that just so happens to exist as its own movie.

If there's nothing homoerotic they should have just made a completely new movie and not a sequel.

Yet another movie that no one asked to have a sequel for. Seems like someone decided to make a sequel so that they don’t lose the legal rights to the original or something. But who knows, it may surprise everyone like Creed did for the Rocky movies.

The thing is it’s kind of hard to be rah-rah patriotic in Trump’s ‘Merica. At least with a straight face, that is.

I've heard and seen people talking excitedly about it for 20 years.

Well, it sorta spawned my oldest too. Dont worry, TMI details not to be included.

I had the Top Gun soundtrack on shuffle one morning while playing whatever game system I had at the time. My wife, then just my girlfriend, called me into the bedroom of our little one bedroom apartment. Things led to things, and as the things were thinging the soundtrack played in the living room. Take My Breath Away by Berlin started playing, but skipped at around the nine second mark back to the beginning. It did this continually, ad infinitum, and of course neither my wife or I was bothered to halt it. It was very hilarious for a moment however. One of those you know its real life because moments. Nowadays, as we shuffle songs with our modern devices while we are driving around wherever, when Take My Breath Away comes on I manually make it skip back to the beginning around the nine second mark a few times, just to see my wife smile.

Well, it sorta spawned my oldest too. Dont worry, TMI details not to be included.

I had the Top Gun soundtrack on shuffle one morning while playing whatever game system I had at the time. My wife, then just my girlfriend, called me into the bedroom of our little one bedroom apartment. Things led to things, and as the things were thinging the soundtrack played in the living room. Take My Breath Away by Berlin started playing, but skipped at around the nine second mark back to the beginning. It did this continually, ad infinitum, and of course neither my wife or I was bothered to halt it. It was very hilarious for a moment however. One of those you know its real life because moments. Nowadays, as we shuffle songs with our modern devices while we are driving around wherever, when Take My Breath Away comes on I manually make it skip back to the beginning around the nine second mark a few times, just to see my wife smile.

That's a beautiful story.

• 2 years later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.