Veronica Mars Season 4

Okay, just got through it. What a gut punch.

I liked Veronica 2.0, I liked Veronica suffering, and Veronica finally trying to change. I also liked the end, which serves as a much better ending to the show than season 3, and it leaves things open for more.

Also, yes, I will rate this as the second best season.

Loved the references to the different major mysteries without focusing too much. It felt right.

I plan on watching it again soon to see what clues I can pick up on. Maybe I'll watch season one again too.

I really was expecting the end, because there was enough foreshadowing of danger that it needed to pay off at some point, and it didn't feel like it was just dramatic tension.

We sped through all eight episodes on Saturday (our July has been pretty event-free) and I dumped 2800 words about this on my blog, but the short version is I thought this season was far better than season 3 and the movie, though there're a few weaknesses here and there. The bomber's final confession and "sinister" laugh felt more like parody than evil. The Mexican cartel guys don't really get any comeuppance or closure -- they just do their job and slink out the show's back door. It bugged me that the grocery-store-rat case was solved offscreen, and that Keith's intense medical subplot was resolved with all the depth of a V-8 commercial.

But in general: eminently entertaining enough that we were compelled to see it all the way through back-to-back, instead of our original plan of alternating with old Chopped reruns.

"Pumped" might be an overstatement. Season 1 was incomparably awesome, season 2 was above-average but meandered to kill time, season 3 was a general letdown, and the movie was rare evidence of what happens when creators get too eager to please their loudest fans.

The wife and I will be watching because we're curious to see what happens next, but reserve our right to remain skeptical. Also, if Veronica and Logan are still together by the end of the season, I'm mutinying.

I blame you.

This is what I get for wishing on a monkey's paw. My bad!

It was definitely better than the movie and season 3. I like season 2, but it might be an interesting experience to watch s1 then jump to 4.

The mystery was fun, and the father/daughter stuff was once again the heart of the show.

I didn't care for angry Veronica 2.0.

The big death didn't shock me, they seemed to finally address the fact that so much of the core the show was Veronica's love life and how she always returned to Logan. It was one of those things where they realized the gold of the show was them being enemies, then coming together. But they tried to redo that literally with every outing except this one, so there was only one way to end it.

They start to get into this with Veronica's being turned on by Logan's temper, him trying to get her to therapy, etc. Veronica is messed up, but the 2 seconds of therapy (with a weird therapist who is clearly going to be the villain next season) didn't satisfy this.

I'm especially shocked given that Kristen Bell herself is a big mental health advocate. It just seemed cut short.

Everything, as Randy pointed out, is cut short.

The cartel dudes, Keith's medical situation, Little Dick just stopped appearing, Weevil and Veronica never make amends, and Logan at the end was telegraphed and there just to give us drama. It would have been so much more emotional had we seen V actually start to do the work and them being on the right track before going all On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I liked it, but it did feel like they had to get it knocked out before Bell had to be back on set for The Good Place.

Little Dick just stopped appearing

I honestly didn't notice this till it occurred to me, like, three days later. I hated him less this season than I always have in the past, but it's messed up that his dad was in this season much more than he was.

Worse still, we don't even get to see him react to Big Dick's death. Season 5, should it happen, obviously ought to start with Dark Dick.

...that came out wrong.

He also did the hilarious meta Veronica Mars spin off as Dick, and that can't be topped.

If any one here hasn't seen Party Down, I highly recommend it. It was a show Rob Thomas did after VM. Pretty much everyone from VM shows up in it, and it is hilarious.

I've watched a few episodes of Party Down several years ago. It also features a pre Parks and Rec Adam Scott, who is always enjoyable.

A lot of people are claiming they won't watch a hypothetical season 5, but I'm calling BS on most of them. They may not want to watch it today, but I don't think most fans are upset. Just the loud ones.

Logan has been a dead man walking ever since he beat up the mafia guy in season 3. He shouldn't have lived this long.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.