Recommend 5 books on your bookshelf

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Recommend 5 books you liked reading and are sitting on your bookshelf (or wherever you keep it).

Here's mine:

1. Pumpkin Seed Point by Frank Waters

The author lived with the Hopi people in New Oraibi for 3 years and this is a record of his time there. While written in the late 1960s, it is still relevant today, and the author uses very beautiful language. Very well written and certainly a page turner.

2. The Black Douglases: War and Lordship in Medieval Scotland 1300-1455 by Michael Brown

Not really a light read, but if you like Game of Thrones or Medieval European history, this might be of interest to you.

3. Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

I actually had to read this for a Chinese history class years ago, and have re-read it twice since. Essentially, it is a testament of life, focusing on women particular, under Mao's China. Very sad, and sobering.

4. American Indian Ghost Stories of the West by Antonio Garcez

This one is a fun read. It is part history, part ethnography, mixed in with ghost stories. The author traveled across the US Southwest, covering the states Arizona, California, Colorado, and New Mexico. Each story is based on an interview from a witness, most of whom are Native American. You don't have to believe in ghosts to be entertained. Very well written and a fast read.

5. Oxford History of Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw

OK this one is a very dry and academic read. But, if you are into ancient Egyptian lore and history, there is a LOT of information. Best read as either a prep for (or after) visiting a museum. I read it in preparation of visiting a mummy exhibit here in Phoenix. If nothing else, if you like ancient Egypt, it is a great reference book, and best read in small bites.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.