Your projects

20 minutes ago, Zathras said:

So I know how this sounds, and to be honest, this is a pipe dream, but I would like to write something.  Now, I know my novel skills are weak, but what I would like to do is a Monster manual and Legends and Lore style wiki of monsters and gods in a mythos of my own makeing.  The spin on it is creating my own, but heavily influenced by real religions, legends, and mythos.  Also, I would like to build the world that those religions and legends are build on.   Something that is reflective of the ancestors of our current countries, but based on another planet, sort of like a sword and planet type of world.  Perhaps even the far past, or far future of our modern society, just on another planet.  I don't know if I would even want to publish this, just something I want to put from imagination to text.  Does this sound dumb? Or overly ambitious? 

I use to just  create characters and draw them.   No big story or novel or anything.   I was heavily inspired by the G.I.JOE file cards but instead of military, I did sci-fi, aliens, space troopers and stuff.  I had a best friend who did 75 percent of the drawing and I did the bios and backstory.   Tons of fun. 

Yeah man that sounds cool.

Back in the 1990s when computer games would come in a box and with a book I would pour over the contents that would come with early blizzard games like Diablo and Warcraft. I would spend as much time reading the beastiary and lorebook, staring at drawings, as I would playing the game.

22 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

I use to just  create characters and draw them.   No big story or novel or anything.   I was heavily inspired by the G.I.JOE file cards but instead of military, I did sci-fi, aliens, space troopers and stuff.  I had a best friend who did 75 percent of the drawing and I did the bios and backstory.   Tons of fun. 

22 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

It sounds awesome. Do it.

I started writing by doing this same thing.

Jacob, you should snap pics of your custom GI Joe pics then write up those dossier cards. Might be a fun thing to be creative with when you can't get your head around your book.

When I was painting Nerf gun I would write mini histories for them and it ended up being a low key world building endeavor.

I've been writing since I learned how to spell.   Practically every day of my life from kindergarten up through college I was always working on something.  

My problem always was, and still is, is that I have sooooooo many ideas going on I my head.  It's hard to separate and compartmentalize everything sometimes. 

Well the gist of it is I am creating a sword and planet style world,  which has a planet with 4 moons.   The planet and 4 moons are loosely inspired by various real world myths:  The planet is greco roman style gods, moon 1 is analogous to Norse mythology, moon 2 inspired by Meso American and Native American myths, Moon 3 egyptian and east Indian myths, and moon 4 demon and devil mythos.  The star of the solar system is a literal god (GOD) that created the universe, and upon creating the universe, withdrew from active participation and watches the events (rarely intervening, if at all) and became the sun of that solar system.

The planet and 4 moons have 2 unique things that connect them all and allow people from one location to travel to the next.  First, the moons all have a unique orbit system around the planet, and during various phases, they share atmospheres, which can allow movement.  The second is the "RIVER", which is a mystical portal that is similar to the River Styx, with a being similar to Charon that ferries people to and fro.  ALso, I plan on having other planes of existance where the gods and devils reside.

Obviously, influences for creation are real-world mythos as well as JRR's Silmarillion and dungeons and dragons, the planet is influenced by Masters of the universe and Barsoom series, I plan on the mortal characters to be inspired by Conan, Red Sonja style characters, with a mix of medieval tech and limited space flight no better than our own, so that everything happens mostly on planet or moon or other planes of existence.   Also want to create a Bestiary of sorts with monsters, gods,  devils.  Once I have the world fleshed out, I want to write short stories in this world,  varying from 10 to 30 pages.  But I am on page 1 in bullet form. 

2 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Does it??!!  I'll read it again but I don't remember Zathras mentioning his universe including a BMX bike race.  Something to consider though.  

Other than the total lack of BMX bikes, it sounds super cool. 

13 minutes ago, Jedigoat said:

Maybe that's how they get from one moon to the other, Zathras.   

LOL Its a work in progress.  I am still trying to figure it out, but it is not governed by physics we know, but more like a portal, with the physical manifestation of a river.  Plus none of the characters are human.  Just humanoid. 

3 minutes ago, Odine said:

Lol. Totally never new of the existence of those films. I'm not sure if my life is better or worse for it?? 

Time Rider, the Adventure of Lyle Swan is an all time classic for 1980s latch key kids who had HBO!  Think of it as a dumber version of Back to the Future 3.

• 2 months later...

So here's where I am on the writing thing.  What I realized is that I can flesh out events pretty easily.  I know what I want to happen, what the consequences are, etc.  But its all "surface."  For example, I know who the characters are and the things they do.  I know the consequences of their actions, emotional fallouts, etc.  But I struggle with why these things happen.  I know that a character has to do X, but I don't know his motivation for doing it, just that he has to in order for the next thing to happen.  Now I just have to figure out the underlying motivations behind the characters' actions.  Is this an ordinary way of writing, or am I doing something weird?

Like I said before, the world is pretty well developed, as well as the first act stuff.  But its still a work in progress and I'm using it as inspiration to help me figure out character motivation.  But its hard, because these things always seem to develop in my head independently of the actual events and actions that I see unfolding in the story.  One doesn't guide the other.  They don't mesh like they should, and I'm always left feeling like I'm trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.  

1 hour ago, Quetzalcoatl said:

So here's where I am on the writing thing.  What I realized is that I can flesh out events pretty easily.  I know what I want to happen, what the consequences are, etc.  But its all "surface."  For example, I know who the characters are and the things they do.  I know the consequences of their actions, emotional fallouts, etc.  But I struggle with why these things happen.  I know that a character has to do X, but I don't know his motivation for doing it, just that he has to in order for the next thing to happen.  Now I just have to figure out the underlying motivations behind the characters' actions.  Is this an ordinary way of writing, or am I doing something weird?

Like I said before, the world is pretty well developed, as well as the first act stuff.  But its still a work in progress and I'm using it as inspiration to help me figure out character motivation.  But its hard, because these things always seem to develop in my head independently of the actual events and actions that I see unfolding in the story.  One doesn't guide the other.  They don't mesh like they should, and I'm always left feeling like I'm trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.  

If you struggle with motivation I find it helps to really have a central theme. When you play with theme, you want to make sure everything character-wise is a reflection of the theme.

Random example, I watched Neighbors today. Silly comedy about a frat moving in next door to a new family. The theme was dealing with getting old. On one hand, Seth Rohan’s character wanted to have a chill life and raise his relatively new baby. But at the same time, he didn’t want to give up being young and cool. Meanwhile next door, Zac Efron is a party machine who just wants to have a good time, but is slowly realizing at some point the part has to end and he needs to grow up. The plot of film is a simple war between the neighbors, but all of their actions are motivated by the theme. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.