Your projects

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of refinishing a cabinet that's built in to the wall in my living room. The inside is covered in four layers of ugly paint: off-white/beige on top, then a layer of that "Dusty Rose" color that was popular in the 1980s, then a BRIGHT yellow with a hint of green in it, and then more beige. The outside is just layers of off-white and a sort of pinkish beige, although some of the details seem to have been a dark green color at one point. That goes back to the 1920s, I'm guessing. You can see the details I uncovered that were hidden under the paint. When I'm done with all the stripping and sanding, I'm going to stain the whole thing in Colonial Maple, and maybe do the details with faux gold foil.

(Can someone tell me how to get rid of the quote box up there? I touched Quote by accident on my phone and can't get rid of it.)

Cabinet detail 2.JPG

Cabinet ugly paint layers.JPG

Cabinet before.JPG

Not that there are too many around here that are into old cars like my, but here is an upcoming project of mine. New (to me) Motown 220 small block Chevy heads to upgrade my car's engine.  After I am done with upgrading, I'll be adding about 100 HP to my 350 V8!

94935459_motown2201.thumb.jpg.d516cb49172dcf667ac308465bbd1fef.jpg1809623855_motown2202.thumb.jpg.3185ae4e51338ba85c45e7682ca6cb20.jpg

13 hours ago, Metropolis said:

That is NICE. How often do you actually drive it?

Thank you! It's my first car, and I have owned  it since Nov 1987,  but it hasn't been a daily driver since the 1990s.  These days, I drive it 1 to 2 weekends a month.  Occasionally, I'll drive it for a week.   Right now, I have a 350 V8, but I am planning to upgrade to a 383 (stroked out 350, using a crank from a 400).

16 minutes ago, Odine said:

Do you not just want to do a burnout every time you get it and peel off down the street like a maniac? 

Cause it must be so tempting 

LOL! It is hard to maintain discipline! Usually I drive slower and tamer these days, but every now and again when it is an open road or low traffic, I let it rip.  There's nothing like it.  Last month, I went for a Sunday drive, and a BMW pulled up at a street light, and we raced.  He did respectable, but I beat him decisively.  At the next light, he asked me what I had under the hood, and I said a mostly stock 350, which I built for less than $1000.00.  His jaw dropped because his BMW probably cost him at least $50k (I don't know BMWs well, but it was a full size variety).  It was satisfying.

If we ever have another nightly zoom party, maybe I will take War Pig out and lay some rubber.

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

LOL! It is hard to maintain discipline! Usually I drive slower and tamer these days, but every now and again when it is an open road or low traffic, I let it rip.  There's nothing like it.  Last month, I went for a Sunday drive, and a BMW pulled up at a street light, and we raced.  He did respectable, but I beat him decisively.  At the next light, he asked me what I had under the hood, and I said a mostly stock 350, which I built for less than $1000.00.  His jaw dropped because his BMW probably cost him at least $50k (I don't know BMWs well, but it was a full size variety).  It was satisfying.

If we ever have another nightly zoom party, maybe I will take War Pig out and lay some rubber.

Better to see you laying rubber than pipe.

So, I'm stuck again.  Sort of.  In some ways I've made a lot of progress sense last posting here.  Figuring out those first act questions really helped solidify the premise of the story.  I know who the lead character is, his backstory, major malfunction, his place in the world.  I have a clear vision of what the quest is.  Not some vague half-formed idea like before.  I know exactly what the purpose of the quest is, the destination, and a big part of the journey there.  So you could say I made a lot of headway.

But none of that really constitutes an actual story, does it?  The actual story is supposed to happen somewhere in the midst of all that, right?  If someone were going to write a story about a group of pirates looking for a hidden treasure, for example, finding the treasure can't constitute the story.  There's supposed to be a twist in there somewhere, and that's the actual meat of the story.  Maybe they find that the treasure was already taken, and they have to look for it elsewhere.  Maybe the treasure turns out to be something other than what they thought it was.  Or there was no treasure at all.  Or maybe they discover that the real treasure were the memories they were creating when looking for it.  No one's going to get invested in a story where pirates just follow a map and find a treasure exactly as expected.  Who would care about that?  I'm finding that's where I am now, basically.  I'm asking why the reader would care about any of it.  I know the beginning and the end now.  The story algebra strategy isn't working for me because the simplest way to link the two is to have these characters go from point A to point B.  Mission accomplished.  But who cares?  What I've done feels just like math.  But where is the actual story?  I feel like I've created the "stage" in which the story is set, but I still don't know how to write the damn story!

Mine's a weird one. I'm building a wardrobe.

I think I mentioned that in 2018 I lost a ton of weight? So I had to donate almost every stitch of clothing I owned, and start from scratch, while on a tight budget and while shopping for that terrible job I had in 2019 - the job had a very strict dress code that my current job really does not. I've hated my whole wardrobe now for two years.

So, now that I have money again and a job that will let me be glamorous, I've been buying a TON of dresses from Shein, makeup sets from Amazon, and nice jewelry pieces from Etsy.

Feels good, man.

I was getting skinnier and skinnier during lockdown proper, it's the arthritis in my hip and back that did me in. I haven't been able to exercise or even really move at all since the beginning of December. I was so hoping the weight was Prednisone bloat, but it didn't come off when I stopped the Prednisone :( 

So, that's another project I get to work on - PT starts on Friday (nearly three months after symptoms started!), and I'm getting an MRI next Thursday. Further treatment will be discussed then. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting back to exercise, but starting PT before the spinal injections scares me.

So I know how this sounds, and to be honest, this is a pipe dream, but I would like to write something.  Now, I know my novel skills are weak, but what I would like to do is a Monster manual and Legends and Lore style wiki of monsters and gods in a mythos of my own makeing.  The spin on it is creating my own, but heavily influenced by real religions, legends, and mythos.  Also, I would like to build the world that those religions and legends are build on.   Something that is reflective of the ancestors of our current countries, but based on another planet, sort of like a sword and planet type of world.  Perhaps even the far past, or far future of our modern society, just on another planet.  I don't know if I would even want to publish this, just something I want to put from imagination to text.  Does this sound dumb? Or overly ambitious? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.