Your projects

Years ago I wrote a really lengthy project that I was super happy with, but I've just let it sit in my Google Drive ever since.

I knew it needed a lot of polishing and rewrites, but I was really proud of the basic sci-fi idea and universe I'd written for it. I was reading Ready Player One about the same time, I never even finished it because I was just really annoyed by Ernest Cline's writing style. He had done some awesome world building, but his characters and dialogue were cringey as hell. I realized I had the exact same problem. I spent the better part of three or four months putting the draft of it together, but just got absolutely daunted by the amount of additional work it would need to not have the same issue.

I have no clue what to do with it now. The first third of it is fairly solid in explaining the world and concept, but once my characters actually got out towards the MacGuffin, it just bounced around and needed a lot of work.

I’m about to start a new project, if anyone cares I can post my real-time progress if anyone wants to see my BS in action.

Turns out, this might be a bad idea legally...

Just rename all the characters after Nightly people, and omit a few beats here and there

I’m about to start a new project, if anyone cares I can post my real-time progress if anyone wants to see my BS in action.

One time I professed my love for someone that was involved with a friend and somebody on here went on my Facebook, told them everything and destroyed my friendship. So I ask you, Seth... what could possibly go wrong with you posting your private information on here????

#StillNotBitter

I'm a much bigger fan of banning people these days. Just let me know who. And I'll put 'em on the chopping block.

One time I professed my love for someone that was involved with a friend and somebody on here went on my Facebook, told them everything and destroyed my friendship. So I ask you, Seth... what could possibly go wrong with you posting your private information on here????

#StillNotBitter

That was so fucked up. Did we ever narrow down who it was?

I realized that I wasn't getting the right mix of humor with my movie, so I changed a big part of it. It still starts with people gathering for a high school reunion, but they quickly realize that life sucks and wish that they could relive high school and change their lives. The next day they wake up in the late nineties in their high school bodies, and change a lot using their knowledge of the future and the fact that they know more. The problem is, someone or something doesn't like them messing with the timeline and starts killing them and people that they've messed with to change the timeline. It's combination 90s teen comedy and horror.

I realized that I wasn't getting the right mix of humor with my movie, so I changed a big part of it. It still starts with people gathering for a high school reunion, but they quickly realize that life sucks and wish that they could relive high school and change their lives. The next day they wake up in the late nineties in their high school bodies, and change a lot using their knowledge of the future and the fact that they know more. The problem is, someone or something doesn't like them messing with the timeline and starts killing them and people that they've messed with to change the timeline. It's combination 90s teen comedy and horror.

I would love to read this when you're done.

Anyone, non members included, can register a script with the WGA via their website for $25.

It basically just gives you a confirmation date if you ever need to say when you wrote a script.

It's not the most legal slam dunk in the world, but the ONE script I didn't register is of course the one I have legal problems around. My lawyer says it might've helped, but it's not enough by itself to win in court.

I’ve got a pretty good outline and started a first draft of the script. I’m not worrying about any real formatting right now beyond really simple stuff. I can work on that later, and I’d rather just get stuff down than get caught up formatting.

• 1 month later...

My next project is completely changing my life due to the open heart quintuple bypass surgery I had 3 weeks ago. Not only changing what I eat but my whole approach to physical activity. I want to be a gym guy and get super athletic again, like I was in high school. The only problem is my back is really bad and have had multiple surgeries so I won’t be able to do as much as I want. I’ll have to be very careful.

I’m researching post-op diets. There are a thousand of them on the internets. DASH, Mediterranean, South Beach look doable. Anybody got any advice?

Damn dude-- your fortitude is crazy. I think you're tougher than you say given all the surgeries and complications you've had.

I've had pretty good luck with just doing simple portions when eating.

Breakfast is 6oz protein, 6ox fruit, 6 oz whole grain or starch

Lunch is the same, but adding 80z of veggies

Dinner the same as lunch, but swapping out the fruit for another portion of veggies.

That heard part is due to dietary restrictions and newly discovered food allergies, I don't eat beef, pork, dairy, sugar, wheat/gluten, or corn. It's actual;ly been easier to be more restrictive because I think about what I CAN eat instead of what I can't.

...of course I can't go more than a couple weeks with having a burger or ice cream.. but I'm working on that.

...I also go to the gym a few days a week even though I HATE it... save for boxing day, thst's fun.

Maybe I'll do my 30th, if I've peaked by then. But I also don't care about impressing any of the people who go to those things. But if I was Mr. Big Shot Hollywood Screenwriter/Director I probably would.

My next project is completely changing my life due to the open heart quintuple bypass surgery I had 3 weeks ago. Not only changing what I eat but my whole approach to physical activity. I want to be a gym guy and get super athletic again, like I was in high school. The only problem is my back is really bad and have had multiple surgeries so I wont be able to do as much as I want. Ill have to be very careful.

Im researching post-op diets. There are a thousand of them on the internets. DASH, Mediterranean, South Beach look doable. Anybody got any advice?

Look into greasing the groove. I just found out thats the gym term for what Ive been calling daily physical therapy to keep my fibromyalgia symptoms down. I started with five reps each, but if you need to do just one or two, thats fine, just do it every single day, no exceptions. Pick what you want/need to start with, my fibro settles in my hips, so squats were my priority. Do however many reps of that one exercise every day, until you feel like you can increase your reps. Increase your reps until you can do 20 in one set. Then pick another exercise to add, 1-5 reps per day, along with the 20 of your first exercise. Repeat until you have a 30-45 minute full body strengthening routine. It probably sounds like itll take forever, but I was doing the full routine my PT prescribed within three months. Ive gone from 2lb dumbbells to 10lb dumbbells in about 9 months. And Ive lost 4 dress sizes and built visible muscle tone all over after doing this for a little more than a year.

Honestly, I havent dieted, because I cant handle the thought of denying myself one of the few pleasures offered to me. But Ive started eating thoughtfully, and Ive found that when you make one big healthy change, you tend to make more to support it. I easily drink a gallon of water a day because it feel right to do so. I tend to gravitate to high protein, whole foods when Im hungry, and while I dont pass up sweets when I want them, I can easily pass up on sweets and do more often then not, or really limit myself when I do eat them, simply because Im not as hungry for them. I rarely snack anymore, because Im just not hungry between meals anymore. So, I really dont have any diet advice other than eating a lot of really nutritious food, whichever diet you choose. And probiotics. Get your gut in shape.

And good luck! Youve got this!

I'm glad to hear you're still fighting, Rock! Everything you've gone through and your strength in doing it has been an inspiration to me during my current health issues. I've been in and out of the hospital several times this year and I've lost enough weight that I'm wearing size small pants right now.

As for writing, I'm taking a little break to work on blogging, just to finish some stuff and build up confidence. I'm working on rewriting my outline for my script, and still sketching out scenes as they come to me. I'm just taking a break from trying to go through the whole thing in a linear fashion because I kept second guessing myself.

One thing I always wanted to get into but have never actually gone for it is customizing GI Joe figures. Ever since my brother and I discovered you can take them apart with an eyeglasses screw driver, mix and match body parts, and use an O-ring to replace any snapped bands, I've loved the idea of creating my own figures.

I've gone as far as buying the right sized screws and O-rings from GI Joe fan sites and buying a ton of loose body parts from ebay and at cons (not to mention still having all our figures from when were kids), but have never actually committed to doing it. Part of it is my hands are quite a bit larger and less subtle than they were when I was younger--the other parts are patience, time, and children. But I still have the idea in the back of my mind to do someday.

Hell, even without customizing, I can piece together rare and hard to find figures by just assembling their loose parts if I can find them all. Much cheaper than buying, say, an original straight arm 1984 Snake Eyes, for example.

I did this today!!

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I just realized what's been hanging me up with writing this story. I've been reading about the differences between plot-drivien stories and character-driven ones, and it dawned on me for the first time that I'm trying to do both and the two stories aren't meshing. I've been trying to tell one story with the characters, and then their is the plot. The plot has been getting in the way of what I'm trying to do with the charactes, and vice versa. I think that's why I'm not getting anywhere. I haven't been willing to compromise the plot or the characters as I have them, but now I'm thinking that one of them has to be a bigger priority. Do I change the plot to suit the characters, or do I change the characters to better fit the plot-driven story?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.