Parenting stuff from megathread

Tank

So this week I developed floaters in my left eye.

I was born with asthma, and most meds for it in the 80s were steroid based. This can cause a raise in eye pressure, and about a decade ago that lead to low grade glaucoma. We caught it early, and I've barely lost 2-3% peripheral vision in my left eye, it's medicated, and with my relatively light glasses prescription, I see 20/20.

But, the anatomy of my left eye goes through a bit more mileage. So I basically have the left eye of a 60 year old.

Last week I started getting crescent shaped flashes in the corner of my eye, which over the next day evolved into these wispy black shapes. Swirly, smokey-- kinda cool, you know if they weren't in my vision.

My retina is in okay shape, but the fluid in my eye is congealing. This means light hits the chunky parts making shadows appear.

They don't obscure my vision per say, like if you don't move your eye, your brain actually corrects for them, which is awesome. So TV and driving are actually great.

But when you move your eyes-- like say tracking your fingers as you text, and they appear everywhere.

Some days they are just in the periphery, some days in the middle of my field of vision. Since I can see fine and they sometimes go away, my doc wants to just leave it be for now.

But if they don't, they cut open my eye and try to pull out the stringy bits and replace the fluid. Yay.

I'm 100% sure that in olden tymes people with this condition thought they were besieged by spirits.

At least this is a medical excuse for my vampire life style. Dark rooms make them invisible. A bright white bathroom is my hell.

I have/had floaters in my left eye for some time, but not to the extent you describe.

The optometrist said mine could develop into some thing more, or not. Over time they either reduced in severity or I have become so accustomed to them I cant see them in the majority of conditions, sorta like how we dont see our noses until we think about it.

I hope your condition improves in anyway it can.

Poor guy! But contact sports are poop anyway!

Yeah, honestly I am not sad about baseball, football, and basketball. But soccer is a bit of a heart-breaker for this family. Ophthalmologist said we could probably go for it when he's really little but he won't be able to play competitive-level and probably not past the age of 12. But a lot of people really get worked up when I tell them he cant play contact Sports like it's the end of the world, and I'm like uh hello there's running, golf, swimming, etc. As much as he likes to tinker, though, he will probably be my little nerd on the Robotics team. Not sad.

If Tanks teen is anything like my teen daughter and or my former teen son (he will be twenty-one this August) then even though we think Tank is cool, the kid probably thinks hes old and lame and gawd I know dad really okay Im not a kid like a little privacy please ugh. And Tank might be like, but i was just trying to tell you its dinner time i made your favorite and then the kid is like i said i know gawd seriously that was my favorite when I was a child gawd i am not a kid anymore why dont you see me, gawd, i will be there in minute geez and then...

Just wait until when your kids only come out of the rooms for meals. It's amazing. I read a whole comic straight through last weekend. I haven't been asked GUESS WHAT in months.

We are getting there. Mine only comes out of his room to say "GUESS WHAT" or to ask about dinner or to walk past the GIANT WALL CALENDAR to ask me if we're doing anything that day...

I'm not trying to be dramatic or make a spectacle, it's just been wearing me down a lot, but I'm also worried about the loss of connection with people. I don't really talk to very many people in real life or online anymore.

That's also called parenting. Your kids are similar ages to mine, we're all busy af.

Do you guys remember what it was like to poop alone? :unimpressed: Me either...

tumblr_lzx54i2via1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Four Kids

Yeeeahbut...only 3 live at home now. One is all like a grown-up n'stuff. Isn't he engaged now?? Like...you've crossed the finish line with that one, my friend.

tumblr_lzx54i2via1qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Four Kids

Yeeeahbut...only 3 live at home now. One is all like a grown-up n'stuff. Isn't he engaged now?? Like...you've crossed the finish line with that one, my friend.

The implication is as so, youre right, of course. Well done, me and Sara. But... sometimes the heart betrays the mind. This is just one of those days. I even found myself texting my little bro out of the blue about how much I miss him. Its just one of those days, and I am totally aware of that, so no worries. :heart:

Afterthought: I made that heart emoticon so many years ago, then Mandard included it in our stuffs. Truly not anything in relation to our discussion at the moment, just popped in there.lol

From my POV as FB friend with one of his parents, and as someone who enjoys watching him argue movies with Walt, I'd say that you've done a damn fine job with that one. So take that little nugget while you're feeling all squishy today.

I'm about to have a nervous breakdown because of the daycare. They just do not understand that Ethan is overstimulated AF and that he has so much trauma from all of these eye surgeries and doctor appointments. The kids are starting to mock him for things like his handwriting and having an accident. Then today 2 kids cornered him over a toy squabble and when the teacher moved in to break it up and restrain him before he could lash out, he freaked out when he got grabbed and kicked the nearest kid in the head. Like ok his behavior isn't perfect but dont freaking restrain a kid with trauma. If he had been abused, I feel like they would know better but since he's just the half-blind kid he's an a-hole.

Duuuuuuude. Poor Ethan. I know it gets crazy but they need to do something about the mocking him for not writing well and having an accident. I know you don't want your kids problems known by all the kids but teachers and aids should step in at that age and do something about that. Poor guy. He's just learning and it's even harder when he has to go to all these doctors appointments and stuff. I feel like my sister would have been better off if she'd had some better care when she was little.

Well, I just typed out this incredibly long cry-fest about my boys, and Luke just deleted it while trying to get me to put on a different movie.

tl:dr version:

All 3 of my boys have disabilities and special needs that we're dealing with in the coming month. The little one needs speech but has convinced the evaluators that he's intellectually disabled and likely autistic just by being unbelievably and uncharacteristically defiant and uncooperative. The older kiddo needs dyslexia testing, but he's so friggin smart that he continues to test way above grade-level on everything, but seriously can't read words in isolation. And the big one (husband) has undiagnosed ADD and if it isn't addressed soon, we're going to have to divorce because it's causing major problems in our marriage.

My wife and I have had issues, these things dont seem to spare any couple no matter how they appear from the outside. I dont have any special insight into making things work, its emotionally draining and excruciating to work through. I wish there was a magic spell or something, because even when a relationship starts knitting back together there are moments when it feels like you cant knit fast enough or even when you can the new ball of yarn doesnt really match the last one. Its been about three years now, and we are still knitting, my daydreaming cant decide whether we are knitting a Weasley sweater or The Doctors scarf, but its not exhausting anymore, we feel pretty much right.

While my wife and I have not been given things that test us as much as other people have had happen with their children, we have a little experience with medical things. Two of my four kids have quirks that need extra attention, my daughter has a sleep disorder that presents essentially as epilepsy and my second youngest son just cant seem to stop talking like Popeye no matter how much guidance he gets. We have found a good support system within our school and with doctors, I hope you all can find help too.

We are probably giving up on the private school the older one goes to because I don't think they will be able to support him enough, much as we love what a wonderful environment it is because it provides her with much needed structure that we weren't getting in the public school environment. We are actually having him evaluated by the school district to qualify for a special education Kindergarten that is designed to transition kids to a regular first grade class. He needs a smaller class environment and help with some of his fine motor and gross motor skills because of his vision. We're starting occupational therapy for sensory processing and we already take him to special vision therapy every week. It is like pulling teeth to get him help and then everyone wants OT to magically fix things immediately. I'm so frustrated.

I feel you, Cerina. He's defiant for doctors and teachers but not for us. Even his teacher who we've known for 5 years and baby sits for us tells everyone that he is so different at our home. I really think it's the environment. We live pretty quietly and simply. Since my grandma was a hoarder, I am not big on having a ton of stuff. I've also learned to not put my kids in environments where they will be overwhelmed. I just want them to feel safe. Apparently that is a tall order.

I'm trying to figure out how to allow my kids to get overwhelmed in a safe environment, because it's more and more apparent that they need it. Of course I can't do anything right now, so that doesn't help.

I'm also pretty bummed that I'm missing out on Endgame because of my health.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.