Social media is the devil

zambingo

On the flip-side, I've rather enjoyed our high school reunion FB page lately. People have been posting some then/now photos and everyone has been sharing the 1 paragraph version of what they've been up to since graduation. I'm rather impressed by how many people actually left our small town and have done some fairly impressive things considering what a crappy school we went to. (Though, to be fair, I do think my high school did a better job than any of the ones I hear about these days. We had a lot of really good trade programs for students to begin working right after high school.)

I'm surprised at how many people stayed in my hometown. I was okay with it into my twenties, but that was around the time that meth and heroin hit big time and it just got even worse.

I also went to a big enough school that I don't remember 90% of the people who were in the reunion pictures or post on the group. There were over 600 kids in my freshman class, down to about 350 in my graduating class with transfers, dropouts and people held back.

We had about 375 in our graduating class, which we supposedly lost a lot of kids but it sure doesn't look like it comparing to freshman year.

I think I may have always been a little bit of an outsider because my parents weren't "from" the area. Most people from my graduating class still live within a 25-mile radius of our hometown. Many of my friends' parents went to our same high school. Some of my friends are raising their kids in their childhood home. It's just an area that people don't seem to leave. I admit that where I grew up was pretty idyllic, with lots to do (bowling alley, movie theater, water park, an excellent park district with sports and other activities), and safe. No one left doors unlocked, but you didn't worry much about violent or property crime unless you went into the city. I would admittedly much rather raise kids in my hometown than where I am now; less crime and better schools. But I always knew I was getting out and never looking back. Florida is more home to me than Illinois. When people ask where I'm from, I have to stop myself from saying Florida and say I'm from Chicago (which really explains the Midwest accent).

Not too many people from my graduating class really did anything special. I'm one of the more exciting ones, and I've taken a big step back on the career path the last few years for work-life balance reasons. One of the super nerdy girls is some big deal Boston child psychologist. Super proud of her, and not surprised (well, maybe that she's a psychologist and not a brain surgeon). Everyone else is just kind of joe schmoe.

Remember 20 years ago when posting on a Star Wars message board was fairly cutting edge and the cool thing? Me neither. But I have a point in there somewhere.

IMO 2004 MySpace was peak social media. You had a top 8 friends and picked a some people had to listen to when they visited your page.

Here's my thing...

I get invited to a party, and I get overwhelming anxiety about going to it. Not BEING at it, once I go, I'm usually fine. But that 5% of the time I feel super awkward rules my brain I honestly feel better once I tell myself I am not going to go.

I've had this problem since high school.

But these days, now AFTER whatever social event, everyone posts pics from it on social media.

After seeing them I have even bigger anxiety over my regret that I didn't go.

This time of year it's a billion times worse because Halloween is supposed to be my jam... bit I am literally working on Halloween/scary things year round, and it's still 300 degrees in LA so it's hard for me to get in the spirit.

I may try avoiding FB through the holidays.

Facebook on a desktop is hell. For some reason if you click to see comments and people are still commenting after you moved on it keeps jumping on me so I get to see profiles of people I don't want and I always have tons of unfinished comments because I just give up. HAHAHAHA ha ha ha.

I was invited to a huge halloween party this weekend but didn't go because I was just too tired. Two jobs and masters work is too much.

See, I went back again, and I see that Tami liked and missed those absolutely horrendous Kia commercials with the giant rapping hamsters. Now I cant even be her friend anymore. Facebook ruins lives.

OH fuck YOU I LOVED those little rodents!

I cannot get off social media. I need twitter and FB for my work and I can't stop. I am addicted.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.