Do you celebrate the 4th of July?

This year my wife will take the older kids to see fireworks, and there's a parade in the fancy town that we live a few blocks from.

I'm having major health issues, as I've stated otherwise, so the extent of my celebration will be maybe watching fireworks on TV and wearing my Captain America shirt.

Our neighborhood is throwing a parade (having a parade? do you throw or have a parade??). It all ends at the local middle school where different vendors have set up to host different activities for kids and families. We decided to have my husband's handyman business sponsor a booth. So we're going to be up there from 8:30 AM until around 2PMish shooting off paper rockets using this rocket launcher Trevor built for our Cub Scout pack. So we're going to be pimping his business all morning, and I guess you could say that means I'm working.

I don't usually do much. Today, though, we went to our local parade because my in-laws are still visiting from China and they were really curious about it and wanted to go. We'd go to the fireworks tonight, but they start too late here for us to be able to get up early tomorrow morning for things that actually need to be done.

No fireworks in Alaska this year because everything is on fire (well, not everything but yeah), not that fireworks are ever impressive up here for the 4th because for it to be dark enough you are either celebrating on the night of the 3rd-4th or the night of the 4th-5th... meaning about five hours past my bedtime, so around around 2am. As for whether I celebrate, that all depends on if Ive been invited somewhere or how my budget is going... so this year not really celebrating. lol

No fireworks in Alaska this year because everything is on fire (well, not everything but yeah), not that fireworks are ever impressive up here for the 4th because for it to be dark enough you are either celebrating on the night of the 3rd-4th or the night of the 4th-5th... meaning about five hours past my bedtime, so around around 2am. As for whether I celebrate, that all depends on if Ive been invited somewhere or how my budget is going... so this year not really celebrating. lol

I've been thinking about you guys because apparently Alaska made my local news because of how hot it is getting.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Anchorage-breaks-all-time-record-high-512239762.html

I live in Southwest Anchorage and it was 90 degrees Fahrenheit outside. With all the windows open and a fan going, the inside of my house still reached 87. By 11pm (still light outside) it cooled to 87 outside, but the inside stayed 87 until the wee hours of the morning. We dont have air conditioning in our house, I would wager that most do not up here, but well... I have never conducted a poll.

We coped with the heat yesterday by going for a little drive in our car with the aircon on, then while we were watching TV at home we grabbed ice packs and put them on our laps, we all also went outside and stood in the sprinkler around 9:30pm... didnt even take a moment to change into trunks or suits, just went outside in our tees and shorts.

Silly and also fun (when you ignore the potential climate changing indicators anyway).

Also in Alaska there is a phenomenon whereby the heat feels five to twenty degrees Fahrenheit hotter due to how the solar radiation penetrates because of our position on the planet.

https://www.ktva.com/story/38549882/holiday-week-heatwave-temperatures-to-reach-into-mid-80s

^thats an older article but it explains that Science! phenomena.

Overall we were Olaf the Snowman yesterday.

Afterthought: Of course with all the wildfires, and at least one evacuation order worthy brush fire in Anchorage the other day, the air quality is like a smog filled big city and it smells like a campfire absolutely everywhere and absolutely all the time... even inside because to have the windows shut just turns the house into an oven with temperatures that then exceed those outside.

If you can get a couple of window fans going, bringing air in and pushing it out, you can cool things down a lot better.

Source: Living in a house without air conditioning and surviving 100+ degree temps.

I appreciate the confirmation that those types of fans make a difference. We have been looking (still looking) for those, however we have only found either tiny desk fans or large towers. We bought a large tower, it is good if you are in its path. I have asked store employees about stock and they just shrug, so I imagine even with Alaskas small population that the demand for fans has far exceeded the present supply. Of course that probably means that new stock wouldnt even get here until we dont need them anymore (although buying for next season is obviously the smart choice).

Our neighborhood is throwing a parade (having a parade? do you throw or have a parade??). It all ends at the local middle school where different vendors have set up to host different activities for kids and families. We decided to have my husband's handyman business sponsor a booth. So we're going to be up there from 8:30 AM until around 2PMish shooting off paper rockets using this rocket launcher Trevor built for our Cub Scout pack. So we're going to be pimping his business all morning, and I guess you could say that means I'm working.

My town does the same thing, but for Memorial Day, and it used to end at the Methodist church, but now it ends at the local stock car track. I believe I out-hicked everyone here just now.

My family got invited up to a friends house for a psudeo-barbecue (no one wanted to actually cook, so it was all store bought). Said house is on an inland lake, and they have a jet ski and speedboat. We left before the bonfire and fireworks because when you live in the middle of nowhere and have pets, you really want to be there on Loud Explosions Everywhere night (and also because the friends have teenage kids who had teenage friends over and there was DRAMA and YELLING and HYSTERICAL SOBBING and I am super duper not a teenager anymore!). So, I watched the first three episodes of Stranger Things until the neighbors got bored of explodering things.

Does Amazon work in Alaska?

Yeah, but big things with like a window sized fan often have tags like does not ship to AK or additional shipping fee, which usually comes to the same price or more than the item. That said though, I never bothered to check because of that situation... but I will now, just in case. :-)

You can do this funky air conditioner like fan. You get a big block of ice and put it on a tray that can contain the water that melts off. Position the fan above the ice and blow in the general direction across the tray of ice. Or go to YouTube and look up 8$ air conditioner.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an anarchist, so I hold no allegiance to the state or symbols of state power, such as flags and national anthems. I do, however, celebrate the independence part of it, minus the nationalism. It was certainly important for our freedom, even though we immediately crafted our own oppressive government that has been gaining in power ever since.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.