Getting old

It's true I reckon. For men especially. Good nutrition and attitudes towards health keep pushing the boat out. Plus in generations gone buy men were having children a lot sooner. Forced responsibility makes you grow up. Prior to that men were fighting wars. So at 21 men were already men and had seen and done some serious shit. Nowadays for most guys, their 20s are a period of extended of adolescence.

Personally I feel the best I ever have at 35. And I hope that trajectory to keep going. I plan to be a fit, healthy 40 year old in my prime.

I spoke to my grandmother the other day, who is 87. She was explaining she only really felt older once she hit 80. She couldn't quite walk for as long as she used to. (she loves hiking). But she still goes for walks and plays bridge and keeps active. I think keeping mentally and physically active is the most essential survival and anti aging skill. The moment you swap the afternoon walk for a 2pm Gin and Tonic and daytime TV you're going a slippery route.

My grandmother was SUPER active and everyone thought she was 20 years younger than she was. Not even exercise active, she just stayed busy.!

At 85 she dropped from a stroke while painting a room in her house.

I'd prefer to be active and all there and just drop at 85 as opposed to slowly disintegrating in front of a TV in a nursing home at 95

We just had our health screenings at work and most of my results were quite a bit better than I was expecting. Gotta get that good cholesterol up, though.

I hate those things. They're always like oh hey lose 5 lbs but your bloodwork is fabulous, but because you're 5 lbs overweight, we consider you to be the equivalent age of 80. Try eating more plants and exercising?

Meanwhile, my husband is thin but high blood pressure and cholesterol. I'd worry more about him if I were them.

We just had our health screenings at work and most of my results were quite a bit better than I was expecting. Gotta get that good cholesterol up, though.

I hate those things. They're always like oh hey lose 5 lbs but your bloodwork is fabulous, but because you're 5 lbs overweight, we consider you to be the equivalent age of 80. Try eating more plants and exercising?

Meanwhile, my husband is thin but high blood pressure and cholesterol. I'd worry more about him if I were them.

My favorite part is they always have to take my word for it on my height cuz none of them can ever reach high enough to measure me. But yeah, when I was weighed and was happy with the result and told them it was quite a bit less than the last time I weighed myself and that I'd been working out a lot lately, they immediately said it was still too high and I should try... working out.

I work out far more than any of them, that's why I'm so irritated. I am at the gym 2x a week, play soccer 1-2x a week, and sometimes run outside (not often, lately, admittedly). I eat pretty healthy other than drinking beer and wine a few nights a week, which is probably the extra 5 lbs. But it's that or murder everyone, so I'll stay fat.

So, I turned 35 a few weeks ago.

Back throughout the past year, I'd been on the verge of depression because I couldn't really handle it very well in my head. Things like obviously not being as good looking as I once was, feeling left out when younger people were doing things without me, stuff like that.

Lately though, I don't even care. I'm still in my early 20's in my head, and my office in my house still looks like it could belong to a teenager. I'll keep doing my thing.

This is an attitude that I don’t understand at all. I enjoy growing old, not having to do what young people do, and don’t want anything about me to potentially be confused with a teenager.

My brother in law, who is 5 years older than me, has a similar mindset about wanting to be young, despite being in his mid-forties. I’m also pretty sure I haven’t peaked, though. I get better with age.

Whenever I look at old pictures or things I'd wrote, I certainly see an idiot who hasn't learned a lot yet or hasn't gotten a healthy sense of jadedness.

I think I'm able to apply the things I've learned since that point and enjoy a ton of the same things, just with more means and understanding.

Yeah, you've definitely grown up in a lot of ways. There's no denying it. But like I said, it just doesn't compute for me. It's like people enjoying beets. Intellectually I know people like them, but I can't understand when they could just eat dirt for free.

That feels like saying six inches is the new ten inches, being that it is only true for person saying it.

You pointed out something similar to what Tank is saying, though. The whole thing with Andy Griffith only being 34 when The Andy Griffith Show started. There's no doubt that he looks the equivalent of a lot of 45 year olds today, and it's across the board with all the shows.

On the other hand, 35 year olds then had the maturity level of 70 year olds today.

• 1 month later...

My uncle just lets them grow together. And years of smoking and blowing smoke out his nose has changed the color of his nose hair so it's obvious.

My Dad died a couple years ago and my Mom is still having a very tough time without him. She was definitely the healthier of the two. But now, she's wondering what she did all that FOR? I'm starting to back time my life. How many more cars will I buy in my life? How many mattresses? How many more places could I live? I wonder HOW MUCH time we buy ourselves by trying to eat healthy and exersize-outside the normal, average amount that keeps us going more easily. Like, if I'm only buying a few years of time by NOT having the dessert and that time comes at the END of my life anyway-is it worth it?

ALSO HAIRS. Good GAWD WHY the hairs and in places they just are not welcome

My grandmother was SUPER active and everyone thought she was 20 years younger than she was. Not even exercise active, she just stayed busy.!

At 85 she dropped from a stroke while painting a room in her house.

I'd prefer to be active and all there and just drop at 85 as opposed to slowly disintegrating in front of a TV in a nursing home at 95

My grandpa lived an active life until 88. He got a blood clot in his brain. At the hospital, they removed his blood clot by going in through an artery in his thigh. Over the next five years I watched my personal hero deteriorate into dementia. I am pretty sure at one point he tried to kill himself with oxycontin and morphine.

My fear is that I am living well past my expiration date and others are forced to look after me and I'm too chicken shit to off myself sue to a paralyzing fear of not existing.

That being said, if I am not killed in some random accident, I will probably die in my mid-70s of a heart attack.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.