Getting old

I've been a customer service manager the past 10+ years and I got burnt the **** out. I couldn't do it any longer so I made a career change. I'm an account executive for a company booking kid school assemblies that motivate them to embrace learning, never give up, etc. I took a temporary pay-cut until my commissions start to kick in but I love what I do. No more having to manage/babysit a bunch of a-hole adults that don't want to work. I get to talk to schools all day long about making their kids better and I just have to worry about my own workload.

Life's too short to be miserable at a job that will replace you without hesitation. Took me long enough to get the balls to make the change but better late than never?

So I can run a 10k without dying, but for the last week, my leg hurts when I stand up/sit down. I can't think of any particular injury, and I've taken several days off of the gym. Wtf did I do? Getting old sucks.

Hip or knee?
The outside of my upper calf. Think it's too low to be IT band. I played soccer Wednesday night, still creaky and sore. And I have a distance relay race tomorrow, 2 3.95 mile loops. Gonna be fun.

So I can run a 10k without dying, but for the last week, my leg hurts when I stand up/sit down. I can't think of any particular injury, and I've taken several days off of the gym. Wtf did I do? Getting old sucks.

Hip or knee?
The outside of my upper calf. Think it's too low to be IT band. I played soccer Wednesday night, still creaky and sore. And I have a distance relay race tomorrow, 2 3.95 mile loops. Gonna be fun.
Could have tweaked your Soleus or Peroneus Longus maybe? They are long and run down the side of the lower limb from knee to ankle and are kind of grouped with the calf, but not what people would immediately think of when they think of calf muscles.. Soleus meets the Achilles.

At least it sounds like a muscular strain rather than a joint or tendon issue. Though I am no doctor, just study anatomy for drawing purposes. Maybe deep heat the fuck out of your lower leg, or anti inflammatory cream and Umm rest.

No, shin splints are along the front. And I rotate my shoes pretty often. These are only a few months old. I can tell when my shoes wear out because my knees start to hurt.

Changing your trainers too often can actually be quite bad, because insoles change a lot depending on the shoe. So when you break a trainer in your feet start to get used to that insole. And then you go change your trainers on them all your muscles and tendons get sensitive because they have to be adjust again. I haven't changed my trainers in about a year or more, and run in them and go to the gym in them.

I'm sure you know what you're doing and know your feet and everything, so I'm not trying to patronise or anything... Just sometimes changing trainers too regularly can cause troubles. And if you don't remember the moment your leg got tweaked and the movement your leg went under perhaps it's something to look into? Maybe go for a blast in some of your older trainers (if you still have them) and see if the problem persists.

I did an overnight field trip with fourth graders this week. We hiked up to a glacier and explored a Sea Life Center at night, then slept in between the Sea Lions, Birds and Seal paddocks. It all sounds quite magical, if not for being an out of shape forty-one year old. I managed the hike just fine, I take a hike several times a week... even if someone hasnt told me to. However then sleeping on a one inch thick mat, made of packaging foam like material, on top of concrete, with an emergency exit light beaming into my brain, just might have taken some years off of my life. In between attempting sleep, I had to deal with fifty fourth graders intentionally making body noises for the LOLs. At one point in the night, we also had to calm a group of kids down because they thought the sound of a Sea Lion crying was Bloody Mary coming out of the bathroom to kill them. I resisted the urge to tell them it was Bloody Mary, but that she only hunts those children who are awake at night.

Since you had kids so early, I always forget how close we are in age.

I'm really looking forward to turning 40 next year, but I feel you on the ground sleeping. Pro-tip, though: sleep masks are awesome.

Odine, you might be onto something with the soleus, I do tend to get Achilles tendinitis because I do a lot of speed work between Orangetheory and soccer. I'm going to look at this a little more.

I always buy the same shoes as long as I can, Brooks Adrenaline. There are slight changes occasionally, but this is my second pair of the 18s. By often, I mean about every 6 months, and they've definitely lost their spring. I got custom orthotics this year, its actually added quite a bit of life to my shoes because they're pretty stiff and very supportive. I was told it might take time to get used to them, but the first time running in them was a dream.

I ran a Ragnar Sunset today, a little over 7 miles total. I am way more sore than I should be. May need to train a little harder next year.

So, I turned 35 a few weeks ago.

Back throughout the past year, I'd been on the verge of depression because I couldn't really handle it very well in my head. Things like obviously not being as good looking as I once was, feeling left out when younger people were doing things without me, stuff like that.

Lately though, I don't even care. I'm still in my early 20's in my head, and my office in my house still looks like it could belong to a teenager. I'll keep doing my thing.

My partner and I have taken in a 16-year-old lodger as part of a supported lodgings program for foster kids or kids in the foster system who just need a room of their own and a more personal experience than they would get in a group home (for ages 16-21). We got in the car to go food shopping for her, and the first two songs that pop up on my Spotify are pre-2000, I cracked a joke about it, but it wasn't until the day after that it hit me that, while I was getting drunk for the first time on New Years moving in to the year 2000, this girl wouldn't even be born for another three and a half years.

I ordered the fanciest sleep mask on amazon for $30 and it changed my life.

I work night shifts. Bought a mask years ago and I'm at the point where, even if I'm not working nights, I feel weird sleeping without it, so I end up wearing it so I don't wake up as it gets lighter.

My partner and I have taken in a 16-year-old lodger as part of a supported lodgings program for foster kids or kids in the foster system who just need a room of their own and a more personal experience than they would get in a group home (for ages 16-21). We got in the car to go food shopping for her, and the first two songs that pop up on my Spotify are pre-2000, I cracked a joke about it, but it wasn't until the day after that it hit me that, while I was getting drunk for the first time on New Years moving in to the year 2000, this girl wouldn't even be born for another three and a half years.

So like Krawlie and I, you're cool with the nightly archives going away...

So, I turned 35 a few weeks ago.

Back throughout the past year, I'd been on the verge of depression because I couldn't really handle it very well in my head. Things like obviously not being as good looking as I once was, feeling left out when younger people were doing things without me, stuff like that.

Lately though, I don't even care. I'm still in my early 20's in my head, and my office in my house still looks like it could belong to a teenager. I'll keep doing my thing.

This is an attitude that I don’t understand at all. I enjoy growing old, not having to do what young people do, and don’t want anything about me to potentially be confused with a teenager.

My brother in law, who is 5 years older than me, has a similar mindset about wanting to be young, despite being in his mid-forties. I’m also pretty sure I haven’t peaked, though. I get better with age.

My husband turned 40 last Friday, so I made the requisite joke about turning him in for two 20s. He gave me a look and was like "really?" Took me like 2 seconds to think on it and "DEAR GOD NO! NO NO NO! I can't think of anything worse right now than having to deal with two 20-year old boys." *shudder*

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.