Getting old

Challup, it's never too late to retrain or think about career changes. As far as anyone can tell we only get one life, it isn't worth being unhappy in your work since we spend so much time doing it. I'm sure you could find a way to do what you love

EDIT: I just realized read your last paragraph. I think that sounds a plan. Don't give up on the archeology dream, Dr Jones

Spam, I can't believe how bad it is for teachers now. When my daughter was in public school, it felt like the teacher was absent 30% of the time because she was doing "assessments". There wasn't a lot of classroom stability and 21 Kindergartners was just too much. The teacher was seriously starting to crack. When she left my kid behind in "time out" while the rest of the class went to the gym, I went ballistic, and no one gave a rip. The principal refused to move my kid to another classroom, so we moved her to private school. The teachers there are so much happier. There's 2 standardized tests a year and it's not even a big deal. They get a day off every month for planning and enrichment. Like, I'm annoyed that I have to find childcare for my kid on those days, but at this point I think it's worth it for happier teachers who aren't burnt out. The funny thing is the school year is actually shorter and they give longer breaks. The school day is 20 minutes longer, and the public schools dismiss 75 minutes early every Friday (that's the teacher planning time, which is precisely when no one wants to do any planning, they just want to go home).

Chalup, I'm so glad you have your second career. Some times I think about doing something a little more flexible while my kids are little, but my pride gets in the way. Things with my son may force the issue a bit. I got fortunate that my passion and job security aligned, I'm just sick of corporate America. I love my job, I'm just tired of ridiculous deadlines in exchange for another penny on the stock ticker.

Challup, it's never too late to retrain or think about career changes. As far as anyone can tell we only get one life, it isn't worth being unhappy in your work since we spend so much time doing it. I'm sure you could find a way to do what you love

EDIT: I just realized read your last paragraph. I think that sounds a plan. Don't give up on the archeology dream, Dr Jones

Thanks for saying that, Odine. Yeah, right now it is tough for me to leave my job. I did look into just jumping ship and working in the museum industry, but as long as my Dad is around, I have to stay in AZ. AZ is a GOP stronghold, and AZ republicans are the worst. They would outlaw public funding for museums if they could. And there aren't many private museums that can offer a job where I wouldn't have to take a pay cut that I can't afford to take. Also, the way things are with my Dad, I hesitate to start school now. So, I will try to stick it out another 5 years, retire, then go back to school.

My area of interest is Southwestern US Native American cultures. What my dream job would be is to work jointly with Native American tribes in recovering ancient artifacts, and help repatriate them to the people they originally belonged.

that sounds awesome. Do it man!

I always feel bad for people who can't seem to be happy because I'm just the exact opposite. The smallest things make me happy, the smallest little thing I have to look forward to can keep a smile on my face for weeks.

There was never any doubt that you're a "glass is half full" type of guy.

I teach in a Charter school so I think it's working better than when I quit before from public school work. Right now we're going through all kinds of training. Stuff for bullying, highly charged lock down training and what we can do when an active shooter drill is happening which is made longer because of high strung "fragile" teachers who spend the first thirty minutes of training crying or doing histrionics over stuff that they feel or they go on about how teachers need to be armed when they can't even find their dry erase markers. For me it's just shocking what can happen in a school but I want to get the training done and over with. And we have to document things because of liability things for insurance for schools as well as kids because of the sue happy world. I really just want to help kids learn.

I will probably dream about strangling my family first though. Sweet JEBUS, how have they not died yet?

Hi, Chalup. I did get that Anthropology degree. Worked in the field in college. Graduated into a museum job. Lived the whole damn dream.

It ****ing sucked. They never let me advance in the organization, and paid me all of $8 an hour to hold me back for four years until I got the fuck out of museum work. I cant recommend it.

I just got a Dunder Mifflin type corporate office job that I could care less about, but it pays the bills with a little left over, and I know theyll be there with the benefits and raises and bonuses. I guess thats how I know Im getting old.

Otherwise, I look and feel better than I have in years, so I have that going for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Heh, $11/hour is big money in the anthro world!

My anthro classmate - who went on to get a Masters in Museology while I went right into museum work with my BA - graduated, came home, became my intern briefly, and then took over my job when I finally got free. Even with more education, they treated her and paid her just the same as they did me. Can you imagine?

I lucked out, I really did. I applied for a number of government and higher ed admin jobs that were paying $18-$20/hour, and they just plain didn't want me. I didn't even get a phone interview. Most of the corporations I applied to were only willing to pay $12/hour for the job I'm doing for my new employer. I landed in one that's paying me $15 to start, and are going to talk raises after just 90 days. That's UNHEARD OF.

Gawd, I'm not trying to get rich or anything, but damn. The typical MA costs somewhere around $30K. I can take my ass to In-N-Out burger and do better than $11/hour, and that is the truth. I don't want to say what kind of salary I have, and for sure it isn't exactly like I'm Scrooge McDuck or anything because I work in higher ed myself, but I literally can't afford to take that steep a pay cut.

It sucks that I have to re-think what I want to do as far as a second career, but I am glad you mentioned this, Icy. I know I don't want to do IT the rest of my life, but until I figure things out, I am going to have to stay where i am at right now.

Isnt it awful, a job that requires ridiculous amounts of education is so undervalued that fast food pays more?

It has been helpful for transferable skills in customer service, but I do wish they had been more up front not only about job prospects in the field but also what those prospects are willing to pay.

Hopefully you can find something similar to what youd do for a museum, but that values you more.

Unfortunately it shows what society values, and museums aren't that high on the list. Especially museums that aren't destination museums.

But then I can't say that I spend a lot of time in museums myself, so I'm not helping matters.

Unfortunately it shows what society values, and museums aren't that high on the list. Especially museums that aren't destination museums.

But then I can't say that I spend a lot of time in museums myself, so I'm not helping matters.

I used to love going to museums on a rainy day. Particularly war museums and the like. Although as I've gotten older I do love places like the V&A for their huge collections of crafts, furniture, sculpture, art and design, that come from all over the globe and from as many different centuries as the number of cultures they come from.

• 1 month later...

So the inverse happened yesterday. A girl, 19-23 on the USF campus, was wearing a Nirvana shirt. I'm thinking that Kurt Cobain died before she was even born. I know Ts like that area a fashion thing more than a support for the band type deal. It was now if a Cobain's been dear that long deal.

One of my younger associates already me if it counted that he just to Foo Fighters.......No lol.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.