Aggressive and rude driving and behavior in your area

Guest El Chalupacabra

The thing about LA is you can drive fast, pass on the right, cut lanes-- it's all good. Just don't screw it up for the person behind you.

I think other places are way worse. We're all aggressive so it works.

My only problem with LA is it doesn't matter what day of the week, what time of day, or really what area of the greater LA area you're in, you could be hit with a sudden and random hours long traffic jam. We hit some the last few days in the Inland Empire: Corona, Redlands, Menifee, Riverside, and Temecula (okay so maybe this one doesn't really count as in the LA area). It was awful. And it happens even more in LA proper.

Seattle is getting really bad lately, especially in the suburbs. I took my dad to the airport and had to slam on my brakes for some guy in front of me who decided to slow down for zero reason. I didn't honk or get aggressive, but I did let out a "what the heck" that only the occupants of my own car heard. The guy started honking and getting pissed at me when I calmly went around him at a reasonable rate of speed. That's happened quite a few times to me in the past few months. Another guy screamed at me at a light for 2 minutes, accusing me of being on my phone, because I approached a light too slowly for him coming up behind me (because it was RED) and he wanted into the left hand turn lane and I was in his way for an extra 2 seconds. I recently heard about a guy with a similar description follow a woman home in our area, I seriously think it was him. And there was a road rage shooting at midnight a few weeks ago in a parking lot near my house. Its nuts.

My husband, who is from southern California, says it's all the Californians moving here.

Ohio is fine. You have a few idiots, but mostly we're good.

That's why we have one of the lowest auto insurance rates in the country.

Seattle is getting really bad lately, especially in the suburbs. I took my dad to the airport and had to slam on my brakes for some guy in front of me who decided to slow down for zero reason. I didn't honk or get aggressive, but I did let out a "what the heck" that only the occupants of my own car heard. The guy started honking and getting pissed at me when I calmly went around him at a reasonable rate of speed. That's happened quite a few times to me in the past few months. Another guy screamed at me at a light for 2 minutes, accusing me of being on my phone, because I approached a light too slowly for him coming up behind me (because it was RED) and he wanted into the left hand turn lane and I was in his way for an extra 2 seconds. I recently heard about a guy with a similar description follow a woman home in our area, I seriously think it was him. And there was a road rage shooting at midnight a few weeks ago in a parking lot near my house. Its nuts.

My husband, who is from southern California, says it's all the Californians moving here.

Not entirely related, but I can't drive very far due to my current medical situation, so my mom has graciously been driving me to doctor's appointments, etc.

She complains all the time about people not letting her over, but she also has to slow down before she'll think about it. So if everyone is going 45, she could easily get over but drops to 35 and wants people to go even slower so she can get over.

She also hits a lot of curbs, but she's at least been doing better since I've been giving her a hard time about it and explaining that she's going to pop a tire.

One other thing I should mention about driving in AZ (mostly Phoenix and Tucson) is we have a big problem with people (usually drunks) getting on the freeways, using the off ramp and causing head ons. Also, we have a lot of uninsured people who hit and run, too.

My husband, who is from southern California, says it's all the Californians moving here. ‍♀️

I have friends that live in Redmond who keep asking me to come visit. I think if I ever find myself in the Seattle, I may just take Lyft everywhere and just pay the extra money so I don't have to deal!

A lot of people in the Phoenix and Flagstaff areas in particular come from CA, too. People I know blamed the California drivers, but there are too many idiots on the AZ roads to blame it on them alone! Makes me wonder if when people in other states see an AZ plate, if they mutter "Damn Zonie drivers!"

Not entirely related, but I can't drive very far due to my current medical situation, so my mom has graciously been driving me to doctor's appointments, etc.

She complains all the time about people not letting her over, but she also has to slow down before she'll think about it. So if everyone is going 45, she could easily get over but drops to 35 and wants people to go even slower so she can get over.

She also hits a lot of curbs, but she's at least been doing better since I've been giving her a hard time about it and explaining that she's going to pop a tire.

Back when my Grandfather was alive, I visited him in 2013 when he was living in an assisted living home off of Glenn Oaks and Louise streets in Glendale, CA. He was 96 at the time, and he still drove. His favorite restaurant was a seafood market kitchen 4 miles up the road. It was like a straight shot up the road with like a couple turns. When I visited him, he insisted on driving us there. He drove the whole way going like 10-15 miles per hour, pointing out this building or that church or whatever, with a bunch of people honking. It would have been funny if it wasn't so dangerous. After my trip, I talked to him and suggested he not drive any more. Surprisingly, he agreed with no problems, because on some level he knew it wasn't safe, either.

Brando can back me up, but having lived on Glenoaks for years, I can tell you that Glendale has the highest insurance rates in California. It's the worst place to drive in LA. A couple years ago a guy was going 90 on the shoulder of the freeway, flipped, and was thrown from his car up into an overhead road sign.

The problem is Glendale is mostly Armenian. That probably sounds super racist, but... When the older generation of a community that suffered through genocide and had nothing, they tend to over compensate by spoiling the younger generation. Culturally, cars are a status symbol to a lot of people of middle eastern descent. The end result is a township full of 16-25 year old men who drive $100k sports cars, which is a terrible combination.

The problem is Glendale is mostly Armenian. That probably sounds super racist, but... When the older generation of a community that suffered through genocide and had nothing, they tend to over compensate by spoiling the younger generation. Culturally, cars are a status symbol to a lot of people of middle eastern descent. The end result is a township full of 16-25 year old men who drive $100k sports cars, which is a terrible combination.

All of a sudden, the Kardashians make more sense.

Michigan drivers are too busy avoiding potholes and construction workers to be crazy drivers.

All of a sudden, the Kardashians make more sense.

Michigan drivers are too busy avoiding potholes and construction workers to be crazy drivers.

And nobody understands Michigan insurance laws so they can't afford accidents.

Seriously, Michigan laws are insane and different from every other state.

HAHAHAHA!

Come to Texas.

We have Mexican Nationals who basically have the right to drive because they bought a license that required no test or training and have a car. They will decide they need to get over and cut across three lanes of traffic without a signal to get to their exit.

My personal favorite is traffic for no reason especially say in Houston once you get to Katy Addicks until you are almost to Beaumont, Austin from Buda to Georgetown and Dallas. I especially can't figure out the reason for slow downs at 10 PM at night along 35.

Endless construction is shameless. Like HEY we finished building this road but now we're going to rebuild it and make it BETTER but they just block up lanes and make us go slower for no reason. And when they are done they have no drainage so when it rains water is standing on the roads for days until it evaporates because road trash has bogged up the two drainage holes that were built into the road or someone has stolen the grates for scrap metal that keeps big things from blocking the drainage holes.

Try the Cross Bronx Expressway. It's always great when you are driving across the Throggs Neck Bridge, needing to go to the George Washington. It is 6.5 miles. They have those signs that say "average travel time" and it says 99 minutes and you know that's only because the board doesn't have room for 3 numbers. Then you look at the sign next to it which has the "average travel time" for an alternate route of the Brucker to the Deegan to the George and it also says 99 minutes.

Gonna have to be a total stuck up NYer but Houston is not a crowded city. The population density is 3660 people per square mile. The small suburban town i grew up in which is 60 miles from Manhattan has a pop density of 3700. New York City's is 27,751.

3,600 people per square mile is what we around here call "the country".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.