Should artists be cancelled?

Changing topic entirely:

An artist's behavior away from their craft doesn't increase or decrease the value of the art.

Michael Jackson's music is no worse because of his likely child abuse.

The Cosby Show is still one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time despite Cosby being a serial rapist.

Chuck Lorre could cure cancer and solve climate change and colonize the moon and his shows would still suck.

Changing topic entirely:

An artist's behavior away from their craft doesn't increase or decrease the value of the art.

Michael Jackson's music is no worse because of his likely child abuse.

The Cosby Show is still one of the greatest sitcoms of all-time despite Cosby being a serial rapist.

Chuck Lorre could cure cancer and solve climate change and colonize the moon and his shows would still suck.

I remind people of this every time someone brings up the the dodgy politics *read: OMG Nazi here* of *insert metal band here*.

It's almost as if one can read, own or listen to something without advocating, believing in, or supporting the beliefs/actions of the creator. Shocking isn't it. Freedom of thought exists

True... I still watch Polanski films...

...but I consider what he's done as part of conversation about said films. I don't think you should dismiss the work of people who turn out to be monsters, but you also shouldn't pretend that who they are isn't present in their work.

True... I still watch Polanski films...

...but I consider what he's done as part of conversation about said films. I don't think you should dismiss the work of people who turn out to be monsters, but you also shouldn't pretend that who they are isn't present in their work.

I agree

I'll also add to my thoughts: there's a huge difference between "I won't watch" and "No one can watch" but I'm curious about feelings for both.

Polanski is a great example for me. His crimes don't diminish the quality of his work, but I also won't watch them because he's currently commiting a crime and I don't want to support it.

I'll also add to my thoughts: there's a huge difference between "I won't watch" and "No one can watch" but I'm curious about feelings for both.

Polanski is a great example for me. His crimes don't diminish the quality of his work, but I also won't watch them because he's currently commiting a crime and I don't want to support it.

The support angle-- I tend to avoid new work of said monsters to not support. But more often that not, they've gotten my nickel already. I own physical copies of Chinatown, Off The Wall, and Seven. I can rewatch them without paying monsters.

Kevin Spacey is yet to be proven as a sexual predator. Guy is a bit of a sleaze to be sure, but it's not like hes a monster. I'm suspicious of all the alegations that came out after the #metoo thing happened against him. It reaks of opportunism to me. And yeah, there was a young dude in his bedroom.. but why the hell would this dude be in Kevin Spaceys bedroom if he didn't know what was up. Not excusing Spacey's behaviour, but there is more to meets the eye, and the dude was happy not coming forward for 20 odd years then smelt the opportunity to throw Spacey under the bus and make some reperation money.

I'm not articulating myself particularly well. But in essence people are willing to sleep with high profile people to either say that they did or to get ahead. A lot that comes out afterwards is, I think, people not happy with how things turned out and want to get even.

Weinstien is a different story though. I make no apologies for scumbag rapists. Hope he gets it in prison.

A recent case was when Liam Neeson admitted to doing something super racist in the past and then the internet wanted him to fail at everything and go in a corner and die.

Taken 2 and 3 are better reasons to not watch his movies,

Unless there was a personal connection with the person's work, I don't think it would keep me from enjoying their past work, as long as I already did.

Seven is great, and nothing changes that, but I'm also in a very different place in my life and haven't watched it in years even though it was once in a regular rotation.

Michael Jackson's music is catchy and hard to avoid dancing to, and nothing changes that for me, but I'm also not buying his albums.

And, like I said, the Cosby Show is still one of the greatest sitcoms of all time, and I'm glad that Amazon has the guts to have it in their streaming library.

For the record, the guy who first spoke up about Spacey is now adult, but his encounter was when he was 14.

Once he came forward, multiple others did, who have not gotten famous or been paid off. I think the opportunism defense is always bull.

In fact, the ONLY person I can think of that benefitted in that way from outing the person that skeeved on them is Monica Lewinski.

Especially since we have a major example of opportunism with the one woman who accused Kavanaugh. The one that was repped by the sleazy attorney, not the one that testified.

"Always" = 98%

There will always be exceptions, but not enough that opportunism should be the go-to it is for arm chair defenders.

I agree with that. It's overused, but the way we consume media also changes how we relate to people, so it makes sense that we're quick to believe them. If Kevin Spacey has been in my bedroom via me watching House of Cards on my iPad, I'm going to feel a connection to him that I don't have with his accuser, who I haven't seen in anything for 20 years.

I think that's part of why it was so easy for people to believe about Weinstein. He's behind the scenes, so there aren't those attachments.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.