What do you love?

Lots of room for negativity, but where's the love. Tell us about movies or TV you love and tell us all about it. No spoilers for anything released in 2019, since this isn't a thread about a specific movie and we don't want people to be spoiled unwittingly.

Also, don't be dicks.

I absolutely love:

(no ranking order, really, well after Star Trek and Funny Girl anyway)

Star Trek (TOS)

Funny Girl

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller)

A League of Their Own

The Hudsucker Proxy

Mr. Mom

Romancing the Stone

Ghostbusters

Coming to America

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

A New Hope

Enemy Mine

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Bill & Teds Bogus Journey

Beverly Hills Cop

The Greatest Showman

Scrooged

The Burbs

City Slickers

The Three Amigos

Disneys 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest

Lethal Weapon

Unforgiven

The Birdcage

The Devil Wears Prada

Jerry Maquire

Lone Wolf McQuade

Father of the Bride (Steve Martin)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Wrath of Khan

The Life of Brian

Mary Poppins

Back to the Future

Young Guns

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

The Maiden Heist

Death Becomes Her

A Few Good Men

Ferris Buellers Day Off

Big Trouble in Little China

The Help

The Mirror has Two Faces

Romy & Michelles High School Reunion

My Cousin Vinny

There are more, but family calls.

Star Wars.

Vikings.

Any medieval fantasy shit really... But that's more gaming really.

Lots of TV shows too numerous to list, but off the top of my head the last few I've watched and loved

Sopranos

Hannibal

True detective

The wire

Vikings (up to season 4)

The last kingdom

Stranger things

Punisher season 01

Lots of movies gone by, but nothing recent would I say I've loved.

I loved A&E's Bates Motel. A&E took the 1960 film, fleshed out the characters and set the story in the present while staying true to the mythos. The expectation was that this was going to be sort of a quasi prequel to the original film. But it blew right through that story, complete with the infamous shower scene, and finished it off.

AMC's Hell on Wheels was also another must watch.

Ditto on the MCU.

I also love Law & Order: SVU something fierce. Except for the 3-4 seasons after Meloni left. They screwed the pooch so much on those.

Also: musicals based in the 50s and 60s, teen comedies from the late 90s and early 2000s, Disney animation, and any movies about dancing.

Anything Star Wars - I was hooked the first time I saw A New Hope. Right when the Star Destroyer appeared on screen. That was it. I was going to love everything Star Wars for the rest of my life.

Terminator films - I love time travel movies, and this one had a neat catch. Pretty much liked all of them. Will be interesting to see what Dark Fate has in store.

Revenge movies (Hard to Kill, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, etc.) - I love to see scumbags get what's coming to them.

Lost (TV) - At first, I was like 'fuck this Gilligan's Island on steroids'. Then, prior to the start of the 2005-2006 Fall Season (Lost Season 2), I saw this preview for Season 2 - Catching up on all that happened in Season 1 - and I was like Holy fuck, I have to watch this show. I have loved this show, all seasons. Although things really picked up when Carlton and Cuse knew when they were ending the show.

Scorpion (TV) - I know it was crazy (They pretty much saved the world/multiple lives every week), but I loved it. I loved all the characters and the way they interacted with each other. Bouncing their talents off of each other to figure out a solution for each disaster they had to fix.

Jack Black - There is just something about this guy, that makes me root for him and love him. Shallow Hal was really sweet and I loved his chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow.

Sell me on the stuff you love! Why do you love it? What makes if fun/great/unique/loveable? If you love it because of nostalgia, what made you love it in the first place?

I love He-Man. It's poorly animated, the characters are awful, and it's more homoerotic than Tank and Krawlie in a bathtub full of marshmallow fluff, but I loved it as a kid. The battle between good and evil, the idea of becoming something greater than yourself, and a prince with everything.

It was pure joy to a skinny kid from the poor side of town.

Expos for 1-5:

Star Trek (TOS)

As a young boy I was able to imagine being the dashing Captain Kirk, which was helpful as an escape given my, at the very least, unusual home life. As a preteen I started to grasp the philosophies and social commentary woven into the series and thus I started to like Spock and McCoy way more than Kirk. As a teen I was able to dive deep into all the geek material and read up on starship designs, both in-story and behind the scenes. As a grown-up I get to reconnect with all those past-me daydreaming moments and then with my kids (when they actually decide to watch something with dear old dad) I get to see them dream about it all too.

Funny Girl

I was a teen when I discovered Barbra and this film and thus the tale of IRL comedian Fanny Brice. Total crush zone, huge crush. I just adored this character so much. Turns out thats just my type: Fanny, Leia, Mona Lisa Vito, my wife... strong willed, smart, witty women.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller)

I am an insatiable daydreamer, I probably should write way more, probably would just be silly though. But anyway, this character resonated with me, and the film has such vibrant color and heart mixed with ridiculousness that I just fell in love with it. I was aware of the story prior to, both from Danny Kayes version and the original Thurber short story, but this version just hit me in all the right places.

A League of Their Own

I played baseball just about every year of my childhood and into High School, so I tend to like baseball movies... although, I dont really like watching baseball games. lol Anyway, this film is obviously all about baseball, and what those women did and accomplished, and it is done so well. However it is specifically the story of the siblings (Gene Davis and Lori Petty) that hit me hard. I have... well, lets just say... a very complicated relationship with all six of my siblings.

The Hudsucker Proxy

I love this film just so much. I saw it first as a teen. The style, the dialogue, the silliness, and the cast is all so good. Jennifer Jason Leigh is the best Lois Lane I have ever seen, even though she isnt playing Lois in this. This sorta not really but kinda Superman connection could be one reason I love this film. I want a period piece Superman film so much. No tights or capes in this film though, just social satire and some heart.

Instead of listing specific movies and shows I like, Im going to instead list specific qualities/themes/thingies I like about them (because I choose to).

I love movies where good people sacrifice their lives in battle to save others. I have a soft spot for that kind of heroism.

I love movies that have philosophical themes; preferably as a backdrop.

I love movies where the protagonists competency is earned and not so much a superpower granted. In this regard Star Wars OT qualifies, PT and ST do not.

I love some love and sexiness in the movie. Nudity is nice too.

I love mob movies period.

I love shock humor, but not jokes in comedies.

I love movies with animals but hate when they...you know..:(

I love survival movies, but not so much disaster movies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.