Unpopular Music Opinions

• 4 weeks later...

Completely proves my point. I'll never get back the time it took to watch that video.

Lol How so?

In an age of Cardi B and Tame Impala, what's more punk than a bunch of bogan Australians sporting mullets (not ironically) singing "go fuck yaself" and being really well received for it? They are doing super well as a young band. They may not be doing anything new, but that is beside the point. They stick out like a sore thumb. And you, a middle aged conservative father (I mean no offense by this) don't like it? Sounds like punk is alive and well to me.

I think the spirit of punk is alive in a wide variety of genres. Given how affordable music recording gear is now you find people making alt/punk versions of every genre.

I hate HATE mainstream Nashville CMT country music, but love a lot of alt country acts like Handom Family or Cat Power.

there's even alt versions of pop Diva music-- Melanie Martinez comes to mind. Billie Elish sort of fit into this before she blew up. She's a good example of music cross-pollenating. MAYBE in the 90s she could have made it on college charts, but the 80s? No exec would know what to do with her.

I like a few bands that have members who are the children of OG punk rockers, most of them play pop-ish garage rock, but are lyrically as punk AF. FIDLAR comes to mind as my favorite example.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.