Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dark Phoenix and Godzilla King of the Monsters

12 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,714 posts

They both seem to be bombing at the box office.  I've been looking forward to seeing them both (especially Godzilla), but haven't had free time to go see them.  Are they really as bad as reviews and lack of ticket sales seem to indicate?

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,938 posts
Several reviews that I've read compare Dark Phoenix to X3, seemingly unaware that there's an underlying story that both are failing to adapt.

As for Godzilla, I don't think you see a Godzilla movie because of the reviews.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,495 posts
I've long said that I never expected X-Men to actually exist onscreen as a kid, and that the movies are a gift, even the terrible ones. This is the first one I'm passing on. It's Fox's last x-film, made before the Disney merger, but released after. It's already known that Deadpool will be the centerpoint of the X-films via a soft reboot, so it's like this one doesn't matter.

The fact that it's the second time they've tried to adapt this story without any of the nuance that made it one of the biggest stories from the comics is sad-- the fact that this mess and X3 were both written by Simon Kinberg is questionable. How does he get to try again after X3?

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,464 posts
I wanna see Godzilla. Super over the x-men though.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,938 posts
There's been exactly one good screen version of Dark Phoenix and they should let it be forever.

The 90s cartoon is superior to any of the movies.
  • Tank and El Chalupacabra +1 this

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,846 posts

Guys. Even I don't care to see Dark Phoenix.  :green:

• Tank, Jacen123, Brando and 2 others like this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,714 posts

Several reviews that I've read compare Dark Phoenix to X3, seemingly unaware that there's an underlying story that both are failing to adapt.

As for Godzilla, I don't think you see a Godzilla movie because of the reviews.

If it true the same people who did X3 also did Dark Phoenix as Tank says, no wonder the reviews. 

I think X3 was an average movie, but considering it was supposed to adapt the Dark Phoenix saga, and failed, it kind of pissed me off.  Why they put the same dude in charge of Dark Phoenix boggles the mind.  I'll probably watch it anyway, but at home.

Good point on Godzilla.  I just want to see Kaiju fights and destruction.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,938 posts
Partially.

Simon Kinberg wrote both, but Ratner directed X3. Kinberg directed this one, one of his first directing jobs. But he also wrote Days of Future Past. Overall, he's made a career out of writing big action movies, most of them being crappy, at least in my opinion. But I'm sure his movies have made a lot of money, certainly more than anything I've written.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,714 posts

Partially.

Simon Kinberg wrote both, but Ratner directed X3. Kinberg directed this one, one of his first directing jobs. But he also wrote Days of Future Past. Overall, he's made a career out of writing big action movies, most of them being crappy, at least in my opinion. But I'm sure his movies have made a lot of money, certainly more than anything I've written.

I think my issue with X3 (and probably will be true for Dark Phoenix, though I have yet to see it, so who knows) is it was billed as the on screen adaption to the Dark Phoenix Saga.  You are spot on that the 1990s xmen animated series somehow got it right, and it is sad they can't do the same with live action films.  If x3 was just a total original story, that would be one thing, but I seem to remember it being billed as the (albeit loose) adaptation of Dark Phoenix, especially how X2 was ended.  Either adapt the comic right, or do your own story.  Don't half ass it, and try to do both!

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,938 posts
It's interesting that DoFP started a new timeline, but the Phoenix origin is completely different and shouldn't have been altered.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,495 posts
I have a journal somewhere where I spent a weekend plotting out an entire X-franchise for the screen.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,714 posts

It's interesting that DoFP started a new timeline, but the Phoenix origin is completely different and shouldn't have been altered.

Well, with Disney buying it all up, I am sure in a few years, we will see an MCU version of Xmen.  Maybe for the better!

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,714 posts

Soooo, I just got back from seeing Godzilla King of the Monsters!  For those here who love Kaiju, or just any movie with giant monsters or dinosaurs who wreck it up, you will love it.  If you are a grump or a film snob who doesn't, this isn't for you.  Eff Box Office Mojo and rotten tomatoes and right wing youtubers who hate everything not Jesus, GOP, or country music.  Don't listen to the internet.  Needless to say, WAAAYYYYY beter than Godzilla 2014.   I was disappointed with that movie (though I didn't hate it like Godzilla 1997, but it was just meh), and King of the Monsters more than makes up for it.  It even ups the game from Kong Skull Island, a movie I loved. The monster fights are absolutely awesome.  King Ghidorah was fantastic.  So was Rodan, and Mothra.   Godzilla was epic.  Unlike 2014, this movie has the heart and soul (and Easter Eggs) that captures the essence of the Toho Godzilla films, especially the 1990s-early 2000s era. The human drama is stupid, but that is the same for ALL Godzilla films, but it was much more toned down from the 2014 movie.  Stay to the end, because they have a Marvel Style post credit scene, and it's not exactly what you expect.  

• Darth Krawlie +1 this

Reply to this topic