The Batman

DC seems to be righting the ship with Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Is The Batman going to follow suit or not?

Sounds like Pattinson is in, and I think he'll do well.

So has the idea for this movie been changed? I'm just wondering because originally this was going to be Ben Affleck in the role. He's 13 years older than Pattinson. Was his age going to be ignored and he was going to play the same Batman? Or are they changing it up to fit a younger actor in the role?

Or does his age even matter? Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises are the only Batman movies I can think of where his age was an issue.

You kind of answered your own question. It depends on the story they are telling. I thought I had read that Affleck's movie was going to be the grizzled veteran Batman who has been through the wars, a la Dark Knight Returns. Not necessarily that comic story, but that characterization. A continuation of what we saw in JL where Robin is dead and he is at the end of his rope with all this. Would they go down that same path with Pattinson?

• 1 year later...

It's weird... the trailer looks like what I thought the third Dark Knight trilogy film was going be before it came out. Meaning I thought Rises was going to go back to a more "stylistic" vision, something closer to a mix between the first two, instead of just a stock standard Nolan aesthetic. Looks like a new villain (maybe?) with several established Batman antagonists running around already, which is cool. Riddler, I assume... and that one dude looks like he could be Penguin... and Catwoman obviously.
Yeah, I'm getting a pseudo Nolan sequel with elements of the Arkham games vibe. I hope it's good but I have a feeling they're going to try to push this too much in the direction of Joker... which is fine if you liked it, but I still like some adventure and fantastical elements in Batman. But then again, I guess just sticking with the Se7en aesthetic is better than whatever they were doing with Justice League Batman.

Overall, it feels more like a Batman Year One vibe to me. I think it will be worth watching. I think Pattinson will be a decent Batman, but for me, he has an uphill battle being a convincing Bruce Wayne. I wish they would focus on only one villain. Having Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman in the first film seems too much to me. Is it me, or does the Batmobile looks like a modified Dodge Challenger?

Yeah, I don't know why we have to reboot batman every 5 or so years, if you include TV.

I understand people getting burnt out. Maybe it's just my inner Batman fanboy but even though I haven't liked a live action Batman since Dark Knight (at least the first few viewings), I still keep hoping for a great, well rounded Batman film. As it is, it seems most directors get certain elements right while dropping the ball on others. Maybe that's unavoidable, I don't know... but Batman Begins was pretty close, I think.

You mentioned too many villains... I've never had a problem with it and have always wanted a more "inhabited" Gotham. Returns juggled three main antagonists fine (a stretch, I know, since it's mostly a Burton film, BUT) And I get that comics are a different medium, but most people seem to like the stories where the rogues gallery act in more of a backdrop capacity while a main villain does the heavy lifting. To me it just depends on how you weave them into story beats. More than just easter eggs, but not so much of a team up that it's pulling character development time away from Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Not only that, but it seems like Batman is largely responsible for the current reboot craze, not just with superhero films but in entertainment across the board. It seemed to really take off with Batman Begins, which I think was a good call in rebooting the Batman movie franchise at that point, but what followed were endless reboots that make me roll my eyes with each case. I think a reboot should be a last-case scenario, with redeeming the current continuity being a far more admirable direction.

I'll still see The Batman, though I have a sneaking suspicion that unless it is rated R, there won't be much we haven't seen already. I still think they ought to continue Joker's continuity.

I'm burnt out on people being burnt out or having hot takes on reboots and remakes.

I said this in the SW thread too-- but I've just maxed out on giving a shit about it at this point. Guess what-- Batman is going to be rebooted every 5-6 years for the rest of time. He is a guaranteed money-maker. Certainly the only superhero WB can make that will never financially fail.

My take is, if a movie looks interesting, Ill maybe watch it. If it doesnt, I probably wont. Whether its a remake, a sequel, a reboot, or an original.

Matt Reeves has me on board because of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014) and War for the Planet of the Apes (2017). Robert Pattinson has me on board because he already was an eerily good Bruce Wayne in Cosmopolis (2012) --- although there's a trend in place for that character where the actors play the role way better in a different film; Christian Bale layering on the manufactured authenticity in American Psycho (2000), Ben Affleck as the awkward supergenius loner in The Accountant (2016).

Haven't seen the trailer, tho. I try not to watch trailers for films I want to see!

I dont dislike Batman at all. Many of the best comics Ive read are Batman. I just want attention on any of the myriad other excellent DC characters instead of always defaulting to him. Plus I hate the with prep time he can beat anyone meme. Its such a bullshit plot armor.

But Im not disagreeing, if it looks good Ill see it. This looks all right. Havent seen enough to decide yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.