The Batman

This film was almost like the Copycat Killer in the Hannibal TV series was for Will Graham: it made me realize how amateur a lot of the Dark Knight trilogy was by comparison and while they're good, Reeves has a much better handle on The Bat than any filmmaker to date, save the Timm/Dini group. 

My only complaints are Dano being Dano in the third act and I wanted to take a bowling pin to his screeching. I still think he would have been a better Ventriloquist but he was a good Zodiac proto-Riddler who will get fashion tips from the poorly cast neighbor at Arkham.

If you've seen Succession, then you kind of know Kieran's been doing The Joker for three seasons. Not sure if I want the Ledger/Phoenix version which I think we're gonna get a riff of again but I hope Barry can do classic Joker.

On 3/6/2022 at 2:08 PM, Metropolis said:

If i had a problem with the story it was what they did with Martha. I couldn't believe they did that little nugget up.

Matt Reeves seemed to insinuate that The Batman would be a one off film. Kinda like Joker. Money talks though.

I enjoyed that nugget because it made her Flashpoint break plausible, and I'm not even a fan of that particular story. Didn't mind it so much. Never got that insinuation that this one be a one off and this definitely felt like Court of Owls building with the clues that were left throughout.

If this was a one off, it works as well as the original Star Wars in that respect.

9 hours ago, Spider-Man said:

This will sound weird, CoLA, but the new movie has a lot of Batman 66 in it. According to my oldest kiddo anyway. By his description there are so many gadgets, detective work, and interaction with the police, that the last live action project that even displayed all that to that level was Batman 66. It’s just the tone of this is the movie Se7en, whereas 66 was obviously comedy. I haven’t seen it yet to confirm that tho, but my oldest is smarter than me so he’s probably on. However he could just be trying to make the film appeal to me, as projects like 66 and the cartoon Brave and the Bold are my thing.

Oh, that kid of yours is evil. It may have all that but it has more in line with Zodiac and Seven than 66. But the gadget work did have me a bit giddy.

The four year old from 89 grew chest hair after this one.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:56 AM, Dark Wader said:

I have a theory that Batman films are generally held to a higher standard than other comic book movies because it’s the only one they focus giving the best soundtrack.

Kind of odd that a Batman movie ends up feeling fresher than any other comic book adaptation. 

Classically, Batman is the money-maker of all the DC IP that Warners can release. Kind of like Star Wars even the bad ones made money, so they won't stop making them.

And the new Bat-theme is Something in the Way mashed up with Ava Maria! I love that, almost makes up for Giacchino phoning it in (which is his thing).

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Giacchino is really good when you listen to him in film, but I can't for the life of me remember his themes when I walk out of the theater, so I don't know how good he really is.

Old age is terrible. I'm the opposite; Giacchino I can remember like Goldsmith and Williams. It's Zimmer and Desplat who make those themes that work in the moment but for the life of me are instantly forgettable.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

And the new Bat-theme is Something in the Way mashed up with Ava Maria! I love that, almost makes up for Giacchino phoning it in (which is his thing).

Care to elaborate, or will I be ignored for asking? He's one of the premiere composers still doing symphonic work and these things called motifs and themes. If it wasn't for him, we'd be listening to the same generic noise that we've gotten from Zimmer, more recently with Dune. Please, expand and offer examples.

3 hours ago, Spider-Man said:

Giacchino’s work on the Medal of Honor video game series is what I identify with him the most. His Arnhem theme still haunts.

I tried to play a Medal of Honor game once... I got bored super fast. That said, there's lots of game composers who should totally be hired for films and breath life into the scene.

3 hours ago, Darth Sockimus said:

Care to elaborate, or will I be ignored for asking? He's one of the premiere composers still doing symphonic work and these things called motifs and themes. If it wasn't for him, we'd be listening to the same generic noise that we've gotten from Zimmer, more recently with Dune. Please, expand and offer examples.

I know Zimmer isn’t for everyone and he does phone it in a lot lately, but calling out Dune’s score as generic and without theme or motif seems a little unfair since it was hands down the best score in the last 12 months. I can’t speak for the other dude as haven’t seen this Batman or listened to the full score, but examples from Dune:

Paul’s Theme

Ripples in the Sand 

Burning Palms

And these are the trimmed down versions from the Sketchbook which were great. 

Plus again, dislike him as much as people want but the scores for Interstellar and Inception are brilliant alone for the way they are literally incorporated into the story (well more Inception than any). 

I feel like the biggest issue with Zimmer overall is everyone trying to imitate his sound, which is why it ends up sounding so generic.  

4 minutes ago, Tank said:

I just learned via tik tok that some of the youth think Something In the Way was written for Batman specifically.

I am a thousand years old. 

Little known fact: Kurt was a time traveler who wrote the song for The Batman, but then released it in the past. And then Courtney murdered him to keep him from revealing the secret of time travel.

Really good but I think it needed an hour cut off. That might also be the fact the cinema was cold and I got hungry an hour in, but the last hour really seemed to drag. 

Funny thing is, I think Batman Begins is the better film but this was a much better origin story. . . and without having to see the death of the Wayne’s again!

I told my friends my favorite scene was at the beginning when the small time criminals see the Bat signal in the sky and start to wonder if he’s coming after them. They freak out when they look into the dark spaces of the city worried he’s about to jump out at them. Batman narrates something along the lines of, I can’t be everywhere at once. But what’s important is they don’t know where I am. The convenience store robber is so scared he even gets hit by a car when trying to stay way from the shadows. Just that alone made me think this was going to be good and it did live up to that beginning. 

On 3/6/2022 at 4:36 PM, Fozzie said:

Haven’t seen it yet, but I won’t get a chance until the end of the month, so I’m not avoiding spoilers. Wasn’t there a comic a few years ago where she was the Joker and Thomas was Batman? Or did I make that up? So even Martha being in Arkham doesn’t seem that big of a stretch from various comic sources.

Martha being an Arkham and psychologically disturbed came from the Batman: Earth One graphic novel that came out several years ago.  There was so much in this film that was borrowed from that story, like Thomas Wayne running for mayor.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think that was ever part of the Batman lore before that comic.  Also, there were those remarks from Alfred about teaching Bruce to fight (as opposed to Bruce leaving Gotham for 10 years to train), and blaming himself for not protecting Thomas and Martha.  That was actually a big part of the Batman: Earth One story.  Thomas and Alfred were old war buddies, and Alfred was brought in to serve as head of security for the Wayne family when Thomas began his mayoral campaign.  Great graphic novel and I highly recommend to anyone looking for a good Batman origin story.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 2:27 PM, Tank said:

The new movie is the perfect marriage of Batman 66, Batman 89, and Seven.

And a health dose of TAS.

Just saw it, and I really enjoyed it, even more than expected.  Not sure that I have a lot to add.

The Riddler is definitely Robin from LEGO Batman though. LEGO Batman is his insane hallucination about what life could have been like if he was adopted.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was the worst Batman since Batman and Robin. 

I liked everything--the takes on the different characters, acting, the overall mood., I could go on.  It also was less techy--something I hated in the last Batman.  But the actual plot/mystery wasn't interesting--it was boring and predictable--and I like LONG, slow movies. 

For me, the biggest issue was this movie really playing up the human emotion element and then just discarding it for people without plot armor.   For example, how many people died in the highway chase just to confront the Penguin on a hunch.  Batman and Gordon should absolutely be held accountable for this.  This is different than say Avengers (which I also don't like but for different reasons) or Transformers because it doesn't necessarily play up the human element. 

That chase scene was the worst part of the movie, and doesn't feel like it's part of the same story. It feels like they wrote the script and then the studio insisted on a car chase as a big action piece in the middle of the film. 

Stupid question since it's Batman and I know the answer, but does every single thing in this happen at night? I'm really tired of how many movies and shows are perpetually dark. I swear some nights on Game of Thrones lasted a week. Either way, now that this is on Max I'll probably watch it in the next week or two.

Not everything happens at night, but it is visually very dark. Visually, I would compare it to my memory of Se7en. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember it being very dark, even in the daylight hours. Most of the movie is at night, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.