The Batman

• 1 year later...

I have a theory that Batman films are generally held to a higher standard than other comic book movies because it’s the only one they focus giving the best soundtrack. Pretty much every iteration of Batman has a memorable theme track. You hear a cool Batman tune and you’re hooked. 

I don’t think the Giacchino score matches Elfman or Zimmer’s but gets pretty close. But I love the familiarity of it. 

Honestly I’m also down for this to have a movie that isn’t in some way connected to something else. Always thought Batman worked better alone and not as part of a connected universe (cinematically at least). Kind of odd that a Batman movie ends up feeling fresher than any other comic book adaptation. 

Good... really f'n good. It has a lot of problems, yes, but it's: visually gorgeous and tonally consistent from beginning to (almost) end, doesn't have any shitty attempts at comic relief, doesn't show his parents getting shot again, and it's the first superhero movie in a really long time that actually made me feel something other than the ennui of spectacle or the occasional chuckle. This rides the line perfectly between street level crime "realism" and straight-from-the-comics. It's "dark", violent and brutal but still more or less feels like the Arkham games smooshed together with Noir and serial killer stories. When this movie is firing on all cylinders, which I'd say is about thirty percent of the runtime, it really is something special, bordering on classic.
And Gotham mostly feels like Gotham. That made me so happy. All it was missing were the blimps, gargoyles and giant art deco faces.  

I don't know if it would be a spoiler but what's-his-name is really good as the Riddler. It was cool to finally get a well rounded version of the character on screen. Penguin was great too. Outside of Cillian Murphy's Scarecrow he feels like the most straight-from-the-comics Batman villian we've had live action.
Zoey Kravitz did good job as well, she felt very natural and effortless while still doing Selina's balancing act between flirty sex-kitten and pragmatic/cynic. It didn't feel like she was insane, hamming it up, or making too much of a leap from one part of her psyche to another. 

I think the only consistent problem I had (outside of the general structure of the final third) was that I kept humming the Imperial March to Batman's theme. I did enjoy most of the score but that specifically felt oddly minimal. 
Minor gripes: of course, you-know-who making an appearance. They just can't help themselves. Please, for the love of god, keep him in Arkham for a few more years.
And the lack of title sequence/credits. I hate this trend. I will admit that it almost works here, because it feels like you're being plopped blindfolded into this murky hellscape, but I don't think their exclusion is ever really warranted. Or, I should clarify, that it no longer feels like a stylistic choice but just a general trend that's spawned from the (skip intro>) button. 

It's thought it was pretty good. It's definitely not a super hero movie. I'm tempted to go to the riddler's website. It's supposed to be a lot of easter eggs of you can solve the riddles.

Waking out i couldn't help but think that Peacemaker was right about Batman. Gotham would bea better place of he just killed his enemies.

Back in the 90s, when Seven came out I had the thought that I wanted a Batman movie that looked like THAT.

30 years later I got it and was pretty happy. This destroyed the Nolan films, which I honestly never loved and didn’t get the nerd love they received.

I thought the first half was perfect and was shocked at how not jaded I was about loving it. The second half got progressively clunkier. There was a solid 40 minutes if them adding complications to the story for the sake of just wanting to draw things out.

I also thought Selena was uneven in her motivations, feelings, and intent. Also didn’t love the cameo at the end.

Those things aside, easily the best Batfilm to date. In fact, easily the best DCU film as well. Reeves gets Batman in a way Snyder never did.

Of all the versions of Batman, this is up there with the Arkham games for me. Really the only better version is the 90s animated series.

There’s three ways to do Batman. You play up the comic book angle with the gadgets and bold operatic style (which the 60s show and even Burton/Schumacher did); you play it as a hard crime noir detective story (like Nolan tried and Reeves nailed); or you do Batman as a superhero (which I guess Snyder did). The animated series is the only version that could easily do all of those).

Complaints aside, I did like this one. Very curious I see where they take it.

Pattinson signed a 3 picture deal, if that’s any indicator.

And yeah, that was interesting to make Martha both an Arkham and a disturbed person. At this point though, Batman is up there with Dracula, Sherlock, and King Arthur in terms of sheer amount of adaptions. At this point breaking the source material down kind of has to happen.

Haven’t seen it yet, but I won’t get a chance until the end of the month, so I’m not avoiding spoilers. Wasn’t there a comic a few years ago where she was the Joker and Thomas was Batman? Or did I make that up? So even Martha being in Arkham doesn’t seem that big of a stretch from various comic sources.

This destroyed the Nolan films, which I honestly never loved and didn’t get the nerd love they received.

Dude, I totally get not loving DKR, but BMB and DK?  WTF?  Crazy talk. 

And I am not saying anything about Patman until I see it, but I liked Patinson in Lighthouse, so I am down. 

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

Dude, I totally get not loving DKR, but BMB and DK?  WTF?  Crazy talk. 

And I am not saying anything about Patman until I see it, but I liked Patinson in Lighthouse, so I am down. 

I like Pattinson, and we’re not children who are going to be upset that an actor was in a film series that isn’t our preference. I don’t think there’s a single actor that I’ve liked all of their stuff.

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

Pattinson is actually really good in most things he’s in, he’ll just never shake being doing Twilight.

That’s the cost of doing something insanely popular, and especially something insanely popular geared towards teenage girls. Because as a society we’ve decided that teenage boys have value, and teenage girls are horrible and shouldn’t exist except for when creepy old men want to count down to them being “legal”.

If he was in an equally bad series aimed at boys, nobody would bat an eye at him playing a superhero. 

21 hours ago, Tank said:

Back in the 90s, when Seven came out I had the thought that I wanted a Batman movie that looked like THAT.

30 years later I got it and was pretty happy. This destroyed the Nolan films, which I honestly never loved and didn’t get the nerd love they received.

I thought the first half was perfect and was shocked at how not jaded I was about loving it. The second half got progressively clunkier. There was a solid 40 minutes if them adding complications to the story for the sake of just wanting to draw things out.

I also thought Selena was uneven in her motivations, feelings, and intent. Also didn’t love the cameo at the end.

Those things aside, easily the best Batfilm to date. In fact, easily the best DCU film as well. Reeves gets Batman in a way Snyder never did.

Of all the versions of Batman, this is up there with the Arkham games for me. Really the only better version is the 90s animated series.

There’s three ways to do Batman. You play up the comic book angle with the gadgets and bold operatic style (which the 60s show and even Burton/Schumacher did); you play it as a hard crime noir detective story (like Nolan tried and Reeves nailed); or you do Batman as a superhero (which I guess Snyder did). The animated series is the only version that could easily do all of those).

Complaints aside, I did like this one. Very curious I see where they take it.

The only thing I liked about Snyder Batman was what an unstoppable force he was, like in the warehouse scene. Batman should be able to just tank through enemies. But I did hate that he would outright kill them, like the grenade guy.

Does the new movie touch on his detective side? A lot of the movies seem to either ignore this or barely address it.

This will sound weird, CoLA, but the new movie has a lot of Batman 66 in it. According to my oldest kiddo anyway. By his description there are so many gadgets, detective work, and interaction with the police, that the last live action project that even displayed all that to that level was Batman 66. It’s just the tone of this is the movie Se7en, whereas 66 was obviously comedy. I haven’t seen it yet to confirm that tho, but my oldest is smarter than me so he’s probably on. However he could just be trying to make the film appeal to me, as projects like 66 and the cartoon Brave and the Bold are my thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.