Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Terminator: Dark Fate

24 replies to this topic

captainbleh

captainbleh

RIP Beau, he would have hated you

• 5,022 posts

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,406 posts
Terminator is like the X-Men for me. I'll even go see the obvious terrible ones... but this one looks decent!

captainbleh

captainbleh

RIP Beau, he would have hated you

• 5,022 posts

I knew nothing about this, but I think it might work for me if I think about it as a cult / indie movie from the outset (like Ex Machina) or the Terminator equivalent of Logan. The "buy one, get one free" Terminator is a nice idea.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

wearing out welcome since 2009

• Supporters
  • 8,635 posts

Terminator is like the X-Men for me. I'll even go see the obvious terrible ones... but this one looks decent!

Yeah, but so did T3, Salvation, and Genisys...in the previews.  This looks like dumb fun.  Probably the only thing it really has going for it is Linda Hamilton.  But I know I'll watch this, too.

3 & 6 years to go...

3 & 6 years to go...

Mr. Impatient

• Moderators
  • 19,134 posts

I will, too.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,406 posts

Yeah, but so did T3, Salvation, and Genisys...in the previews.  This looks like dumb fun.  Probably the only thing it really has going for it is Linda Hamilton.  But I know I'll watch this, too.

I thought 3 and Genesys looked like crap, and WERE crap. Salvation I have a soft spot for.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,390 posts

Agreed on Salvation, I enjoyed that one. Haven't seen Genisys though, and I'm really mad about the spelling of that because why the **** would you do that

• Ryn and zambingo +1 this

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,200 posts
This was a teaser trailer!? They showed damn near the whole thing!

Woulda loved it if when Sarah Connor shows up for the first moment to say "come with me if you want to live"

Zathras

Zathras

• Members
  • 6 posts

Kinda unneeded.  But interested. 

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,635 posts

I thought 3 and Genesys looked like crap, and WERE crap. Salvation I have a soft spot for.

They all weren't good, really, but I got suckered into all of them by the previews, and being Terminator.  I have a soft spot for T3 and Salvation.  I even like TSCC too.  There was no saving Genisys, though.  

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• 3,137 posts

I haven't like the Terminator movies since T3. The last one I watched was Salvation and gave up after that. I do love The Sarah Connor Chronicles, though. Like the Star Wars EU, I pretty much have my preferred continuity that I stick to.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,635 posts

I haven't like the Terminator movies since T3. The last one I watched was Salvation and gave up after that. I do love The Sarah Connor Chronicles, though. Like the Star Wars EU, I pretty much have my preferred continuity that I stick to.

Arguably, each movie is its own continuity!

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• 3,137 posts

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just haven't been excited about the movies or their timelines. I might give this one a chance, though.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,635 posts

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just haven't been excited about the movies or their timelines. I might give this one a chance, though.

Well, I can understand that.  I actually like the fact that each film seems to be its own continuity.  When you mess with time travel like that, you create many different timelines. The only "good films" to me are the original (my favorite), and T2 (Directors cut), though I like all the Terminator stuff, save for Genisys. 

Not as obvious in the theatrical version, but the T2 Directors cut (to me) clearly is a separate timeline from the post T1 events as history gets changed during the events of T2.  At the end, it makes clear that history was changed with Dyson's death, and Judgement Day is postponed. 

T3 is its own timeline, IMHO.  It seems to me the offshoot of T2, after history was changed, and everything following T3 doesn't connect.  I think T3  diverges from T2; if not prior to the events of the film, then definitely during the events of T3 (making it an offshoot timeline from T2); the TX Terminator kills off a number of resistance leaders that didn't die before, so that creates a new timeline, IMHO (not to mention Sarah is killed off). 

TSCC definitely is separate from T3 (possibly another offshoot from T2), as Sarah seems to basically cheat death and the future seems different than the depictions of it in the prior films. 

Salvation (which I like, despite not being the best film) seems to me its own, as well, and not connected with T2, T3, or TSCC, because Marcus Wright seems to come from a timeline different from T3 on, and I think arguably a different timeline from the end of T2 (either another post T2 offshoot timeline, or maybe even the original, unaltered timeline from even before T1). 

Genisys is definitely its own beast, and arguably doesn't even light up with (or changes, depending on your POV) all that came before. 

I have no clue if Dark Fate is yet another timeline or not, but I am willing to bet it is a direct sequel to T2, and is yet another offshoot timeline from T2, not connected to anything else since T2's ending.  Hell, it may even overwrite T1 and T2 by the end of the film. 

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,406 posts
T1 is T1

T2 is the future of T1.

From T2, the time line splits.

From the theatrical ending you get T3.

From the extended ending, you get Dark Fate.

From the alternate event of them failing to fully destroy Dyson's work you get TSCC.

Salvation is set in the future leading up to the events that lead to the T-800 and Reese being sent back to T1.

Skynet, recognizing there are multiple times where it loses, tries a different tactic than trying to kill Sarah or John in the past, and instead tries to stop the initial incursion that sends Reese back. This results in T1's events being re-written in Genesys.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,635 posts

We need a freaking flowchart, Tank!  I like how you differentiate T2 Theatrical and T2 Directors Cuts as different timelines, though.  That had not occurred to me, mainly because I consider the Directors Cut the official version in my mind.   Based on your idea that they are disticnt then, I think it plays out like this.  Let me know if you agree.

Timeline 1: T1> Judgement Day ver 1>2029 machines defeated> T800 and Reese go back to 1984 causing T1 and John Conner (predestination paradox)> T2...then something happens that splits T2 Theatrical and T2 Director's Cut into 2 distinct timelines (possibly indirectly caused by Genisys?)

Timeline 2:  T1 as with Timeline 1>T2 Theatrical (creates new timeline)>Judgement day postponed,>T3>New Judgement day, ver2>Salvation>Machines defeated as destined in 2029>T1 original events

Timeline 3: T1>T2 Theatrical (altered from events of TSCC/Dyson's work survives T2)>Judgement Day ver3>TSCC>New 2029: if TSCC had been renewed, unclear if machines defeated, but assumed so

Timeline 4:  pre T1 1973 Pops T800 sent to protect Sarah> Altered T1>Reese's childhood/creation of Genisys>Judgement Day ver 4>Terminator Genisys, Genisys ultimately survives> altered 2029, John Conner compromised, Reese sent back to altered T1.

Timeline 5: T1>T2 Directors Cut>Judgement Day ver 5>Dark Fate

zambingo

zambingo

The Human Torch

• 3,039 posts

Agreed on Salvation, I enjoyed that one. Haven't seen Genisys though, and I'm really mad about the spelling of that because why the **** would you do that

THIS. So much.

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• 3,137 posts

Well, I can understand that.  I actually like the fact that each film seems to be its own continuity. 

Oh, I like that idea, too! I just haven't enjoyed the films since T2 is the problem. The issue for me is quality.

• El Chalupacabra +1 this

Kyrian

Kyrian

I'm back

• 11,354 posts

Is it just me, or were those CGI effects sub-par AF? It was the first thing I noticed when watching it and mentioned it to my partner. It also looks like a mess. I'll still go and see it, but it really looks like they rushed out that trailer with effects that weren't fully finished. Someone tell Hollywood that the EA/ubisoft method of releasing games before they're finished does not translate well to movie trailers, where you're trying to impress us.

DANA-kin Skywalker

DANA-kin Skywalker

American

• 8,766 posts
Its pointless to work out any kind of continuity because the franchise breaks its own in-universe rules from movie to movie. They even change the way time itself works too-so how can you work out how and why things happen?

The terminator movies stopped making sense after T2, which only sort of made sense. Still great movie though, IMO. T3 was okay-ish, the rest I didnt care for. The Sarah Connor Chronicles I never watched.

I want to get excited for this, but Im having difficulty.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

DANA-kin Skywalker

DANA-kin Skywalker

American

• 8,766 posts

Skynet, recognizing there are multiple times where it loses, tries a different tactic...

How is that even possible?
That would be like if Marty McFly went back to 1955 with Doc Brown waiting for him to bring him the delorean.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,810 posts

It uses the Time Stone to see all the different timelines.

• 3 & 6 years to go..., DANA-kin Skywalker, zambingo and 2 others like this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,635 posts

Nah.  Nothing that elaborate.  Just Xmen Days of Futres Past rules.

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,200 posts
The new hero terminator lady is a babe

Kyrian

Kyrian

I'm back

• 11,354 posts

Mackenzie Davis. She was the young blonde woman from Mission Control in The Martian and the hooker from Blade Runner 2049.

• Odine +1 this

Reply to this topic