Happy Birthday, The Phantom Menace!

Zerimar Nyliram

I highly recommend the novelizations of the prequel trilogy. As opposed to the original Trilogy novelizations, which were rather lackluster, the prequel books add quite a bit of depth and insight (the complete converse to the films themselves, where it is the other way around). I especially love Matthew Stover's novelization of Revenge of the Sith, one of my favorite EU books. Indeed, he is my favorite EU author, though his involvement in it was sadly limited. I love his philosophical musings, especially his existentialism.

This was the first place I read negative reviews of TPM, and it was the moment the internet and fan-culture changed for me. Up until then everything was either brilliant and worth discussing, or you simply didn't bother. TPM was the first time I saw obsession over negative things that would just compound further rage, which has reached new levels today.

I was a long time defender but over time the 'minor' flaws I was willing to accept when compared to the overall fun time I had, became gaping wounds. I now see that both sides of the argument ("They're movies for kids, shut up" vs "Lucas killed my childhood") have valid points, but miss the mark in other points.
In retrospect, the prequels had great ideas but needed some genuine outsiders to fine tune the ideas into a better final product more suited to audiences of the time.
That said, happy birthday Phantom Menace, and nightly.net!

Editing can't save poor writing. The one fixall solution would be if Lucas did what he did for ESB and ROTJ-- shepard the basic story, oversee production, run the edits, but hire better qualified writers and directors.

If I recall right, GL realized he had on too many hats and asked some people to help. Most notably Spielberg, but Spielberg told him that the story was so personal to GL that he should do it. Although even if I do recall right, I could be recalling something that was fictional. lol As is the case with lots of Prequel era information.

Oh man, the ROTS book is probably one of the only SW books I hate more than the Thrawn trilogy. His internal characterization of Anakin/Vader was abhorrent to me.

That you read the book, not that you read of course, is a surprise for me. I thought those prequel days were when EU stuff turned bitter tasting, but then... maybe that was the moment.

The EU that spawned from the prequels was more than just the books surrounding that era. The Republic comics were incredible, but the prequels also gave birth to things like the KOTOR video game, set in an era far removed but still clearly sparked by the prequels. Some of the books of that era weren't that great, but remember that the EU is more than just books and more than just one era. The other stuff that came about were truly classics.

I know, I meant specifically for Tank. I also soured on it around that time, well, novel wise anyway. I did enjoy KOTOR, but mostly, I think, because it was the only thing at the time that recaptured how I felt watching the original films for the first time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.