A Discovery of Witches

I bought this book a few years ago, when I was in the hospital almost dead. I just picked it up when I heard there was going to be a movie or series on BBC and am almost done reading it as I watch the TV episodes. I am SO disappointed-its definitely YA-almost as dumb as the Twilight series. And I loved the premise; humans, vampires, witches and demons co-exist but which came from which? An enchanted, missing manuscript may hold the answers but nobody has seen it in 150 years. Until a pretty, young, blonde American witch attending Oxford calls for the manuscript in the library and it comes to her. Now, every 'creature' wants it and her. But the she falls in love with a vampire and species mixing is forbidden by "the Congregation" and it gets all Harry Potter/Twilight and Jackie Collins and I can barely finish it.

Have you read it? Does it get better? is it worth reading the next 2 books in the trilogy? This time, I like to video better than the written word, so I'm going to keep watching the show on BBC but don't know if I should get the other 2 books. I can pass them on to my freind's kids after

I've read the trilogy (there's a fourth book out now concentrating on the story from a supporting character's perspective), it's all right. I have read better and it is a very slow and unexciting narrative but I recognise the author's cred on her background research, especially on subjects like Elizabethian London/England and the history of alchemy. Closest soundbite I could reduce it is it's a supernatural Outlander. I have watched the first episode of the tv show so far and plan resume as soon as my work schedule let's up a bit.

YES. Holy ****. I feel the exact same way about it, but everyone else Ive met whos read it is obsessed with it and thinks its so wonderful.

I dont think I finished the first one, let alone read any of the others.

You made me read 50 Shades but couldn't finish this?? Yikes.

I bought this book a few years ago, when I was in the hospital almost dead. I just picked it up when I heard there was going to be a movie or series on BBC and am almost done reading it as I watch the TV episodes. I am SO disappointed-its definitely YA-almost as dumb as the Twilight series. And I loved the premise; humans, vampires, witches and demons co-exist but which came from which? An enchanted, missing manuscript may hold the answers but nobody has seen it in 150 years. Until a pretty, young, blonde American witch attending Oxford calls for the manuscript in the library and it comes to her. Now, every 'creature' wants it and her. But the she falls in love with a vampire and species mixing is forbidden by "the Congregation" and it gets all Harry Potter/Twilight and Jackie Collins and I can barely finish it.

Have you read it? Does it get better? is it worth reading the next 2 books in the trilogy? This time, I like to video better than the written word, so I'm going to keep watching the show on BBC but don't know if I should get the other 2 books. I can pass them on to my freind's kids after

Jesus that sounds gay*.

*No offense to the LGBTQPA community intended. Term to be interpreted as combination of the following synonyms: twee, lame, wet, lacking in bite, fairified (made that one up), diet-Anne Rice, syrupy.

This makes me feel better-I thought I was being a snob. I'm so close-I'll finish this one and give it to my bff's kid. She obsessed over Twilight for years, she'll love this.

I like knowing the history is credible and I love the visuals of the settings both in my head and on the TV series but its;' so over the top in the forbidden love

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.