Nightly's 20th birthday

I saw an old friend's post on Facebook and it reminded me how much I loved this place. Wow, 20 years. I found this place when it came from episodeii.com (or was it .net). I see a lot of names I recognise, hope you're all well!

Thought I accidentally locked myself out of this account with an old email but guess not so woooo. Happy Anniversary guys, you all are the awesome. I don't say it enough to those I talk to but this place really did make quite the impact on my life for the better. You all helped me escape an abusive relationship when some of my family were continually pressuring me to stay, you all tolerated my ridiculous poorly drawn comics and silly board stories, and of course I met Link here. My life wouldn't be the same without this place, no correction the best parts of my life wouldn't be the same without this place. So for that, thank you nightly. <3

Nineteen years ago, I stumbled across this place as a bored tenth grader looking for any prequel spoilers I could find. Now I've been married thirteen years and work at NASA. A lot of the circumstances have changed, but I'm probably still the same nerdy punk kid. Hopefully just a little wiser.

I think the biggest thing I've gotten from Nightly is that it was the first place I was exposed to other ideas online when I was a kid. It's safe to say that The Lyceum and other conversations in the Cantina molded much of my politics and world outlook. I may have found it elsewhere later, but I'm very thankful that the conversation here got me out of a very closed circle in the sticks of North Alabama at the time.

Sorry if this is lengthy, but this is something else I thought of lately.

Aside from my wife and a few other people, some of the people who have been on Nightly for the long run have been some of the most constant people in my life in the past two decades. My parents went through a brutal divorce almost ten years ago, and none of my extended family was ever really the same after that. Friends from high school or college have also moved on to other things or other towns, but I still seem to check in with or see people from here often enough.

Meanwhile, I still keep up with many of the people I knew from the early 2000's here on Facebook. My wife and I have met Marie / Darth Pixie many times in the past fifteen years when she's been nearby or when we've been in California. I still keep up with people like Stephanie / Sigh Snootles, who have always been positive sources of encouragement. Whether he meant to or knows it or not, Seth / Tank has even kind of been a mentor figure to me at times.

Kind of sappy, sure. But that stuff still means something to me.

Yeah honestly I have quite a few of you on my very locked down facebook. I talk about stuff in my linked blog that I don't really want to be consumed by a huge audience so I feel like the fact there's like seven of you that have access to that says a lot for my faith in this place. Also a few of you even have my twitter handle and frankly I just go there to yell at the universe (like probably most people).

I mean you did come to LA and we didnt hang out, so I'm marginally offended...

I'll be back in November! And probably more soon.

We're honestly thinking of moving out there, we're ready for a change. I've got a good buddy that lives just south of the Bowl, we visited her a few weeks ago and I loved the neighborhood. It's less than a mile away from the insanity of Hollywood Boulevard, but far enough away to be quiet and surprisingly affordable. We're putting some thought into trying it out.

I hardly post anymore, but I still check this place at least a couple times a week, have for years. Some breaks in-between. Ive never really stayed away for long, really. Always nice to see old faces. Been around for a little over 19 years. Hard to imagine.

Is it just me, or was the internet a more rational place back then?

Man, I feel old.

I don’t think that it was more rational, just less organized. Now there are just a few sites that matter so everyone is on them, which amplifies the voices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.