New movie dates

The fact that there's not going to be a movie every year is news by itself.

See now we already knew that! :)

Seriously, they announced the slowdown a few months ago. Do you think maybe this was a case where LFL thought people were freaking out and they felt compelled to assure them that movies will still be coming out? Because if there were people seriously thinking ep 9 was the last movie, and Star Wars was no going to just be streaming shows, I can understand that. But if that were the case, why not say so?

I have seen stories incorrectly saying that it was the last Star Wars and Endgame was the end of the Avengers franchise. More realistic is that these announcements were for investors and the industry and it's Star Wars so everybody freaks out and has to cover it like big news.

The thing I read said the next three is their trilogy.

Maybe, but that's not what Iger said:

“We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie that we release will be theirs,” Iger said. “And we’re not saying anything more about that.”

The following movies could be a trilogy, and it seems likely, but not definite.

The thing I read said the next three is their trilogy.

Maybe, but that's not what Iger said:

“We did a deal with David Benioff and D.B Weiss, who are famous for Game of Thrones, and the next movie that we release will be theirs,” Iger said. “And we’re not saying anything more about that.”

The following movies could be a trilogy, and it seems likely, but not definite.

I've never thought it was (see above), but not surprisingly the news gets mangled and changed REALLY quick!

Not everything has to be a trilogy. Just make stand alone original films. If they are good, people will want more.

I'm hoping it isn't a trilogy, but I'm still guessing it will be. Mainly because they seem to want to reset things and have less risk.

I think an issue with releasing the release dates of movies so far in advance is it boxes you in. So they've announced 3 more movies will be released with the last one in what? 2026? That's a long time from now. If, as some have said, they didn;t make a pre planned trilogy and made 3 different movies with the thought process being whichever movies were good and well received would get sequels (a fairly common sense approach) when would the sequel get released. Say the 2022 release is great, people love it and there is a clamor for a sequel(s). If you already have movies into active producton for 2024 and 2026 at that point when is the sequel to 2022 getting released? Ofcourse they could cancel or push back the movies already planned or just squeeze in another Star Wars movie. However based on just how many movies Disney is planning on releasing an extra movie would certainly end up competing with some other Disney blockbuster.

On the other side, doing it this way is risk. What is the 2022 movie is just meh. They are locked into 2 more movies. Either that or they have to cancel the planned movies and admit they were wrong and look dumb.

Ofcourse things can chance, maybe Avatar wont pan out and they will want/need Star Wars more often in December.

They aren't locked into anything. Like you said, dates could be pushed. My guess is they will go more traditional. Make a stand alone movie, if it does well, then make a sequel with the same characters. You don't have to pre plan a trilogy. I mean, for the ST they should have, cause it was always meant to be that way, but you don't have to any more if we're leaving the saga behind.

The Indiana Jones OT is a great example.

That said, if they movie doesn't do well, they have time to push one of their other dozen ideas in development into first position and do another stand alone.

I'm not sure I buy that logic. "Hey, we really like your work but we don't think you're capable of making just one movie, so make three."

Yeah, they weren't hired blindly. Whatever their plan os, it was worked out and pitched to Kennedy. This isn't like Oprah handing out cars.

You made a hit nerd thing? You get a Star War! And you get a Star War!

Maybe Disney isnt hiring these creatives to make a trilogy, but is setting up a television writers room like environment with their recent hirings. I mean, I dunno because Im not there nor obviously in the biz, but it seems like thats what they did with the Marvel films. Maybe they realized they should do that with Star Wars too, instead of a series of three they can interconnect multiple singles and then join them for a big event film.

Maybe Disney isnt hiring these creatives to make a trilogy, but is setting up a television writers room like environment with their recent hirings. I mean, I dunno because Im not there nor obviously in the biz, but it seems like thats what they did with the Marvel films. Maybe they realized they should do that with Star Wars too, instead of a series of three they can interconnect multiple singles and then join them for a big event film.

None of this is accurate!

Maybe writers room like environment was the wrong term, but I thought I had read that the Marvel production team, producers whatever, were treating it like a tv series with like season outlines just to know where they wanted to get to.

Im super interested in BTS stuff, behind the scenes not the Kpop group (although my kids like them). Anything that you could guess at or explain without legal peril would be delightful, Tank. :-)

Yeah, they weren't hired blindly. Whatever their plan os, it was worked out and pitched to Kennedy. This isn't like Oprah handing out cars.

You made a hit nerd thing? You get a Star War! And you get a Star War!

This actually feels like what theyve been doing based on how they have hired and fired talent midway and even close to finishing the films.

I do feel like the hiring is a decent amount of fan service by itself. They want talented people with good ideas, but they also want people with geek cred.

Maybe writers room like environment was the wrong term, but I thought I had read that the Marvel production team, producers whatever, were treating it like a tv series with like season outlines just to know where they wanted to get to.

Im super interested in BTS stuff, behind the scenes not the Kpop group (although my kids like them). Anything that you could guess at or explain without legal peril would be delightful, Tank. :-)

Marvel's method for years was to develop content internally by having low-level writers working as staff hires. Meaning, they were paid a weekly salary, given properties to develop, and wrote treatments (2-10 page ideas). It was uncredited. These concepts went to a brain trust of sorts of writers from Marvel comics, who would offer input. The treatments were reworked based on this, and in a few cases, like with the first GOTG, a first draft script would be made. From there, the treatments or rough scripts would then sent out to writer/directors who would pitch their take on the idea.

Said writer/director who got the job would then make it their own thing. This was what they did in phase 1 and 2. During phase three, Marvel Studios, Marvel TV, and Marvel comics became more fragmented and the brain trust was no longer employed. As most of these movies were sequels, the internal development stopped. For the New movies in this phase (like Ant Man) they sought out known writer/directors who had a love for the source material (like Edgar Wright for Ant Man). Phase four was everyone sticking with the teams that each individual film had developed, save for the Russos replacing Whedon as the Avengers godfather.

Lucasfilm's approach was similar, but different. They started with Lucas having already laid some groundwork for the ST. Their first step was not to hire writers, but concept artists to generate visual ideas. Some based on what ideas Lucas had, some were told to just go wild. When JJ was brought on, a small brain trust was formed amongst the ST directors, Kennedy, and Simon Kinberg. They laid out a basic foundation of what was to come, but then everyone went off and did their own work individually, with information being shared. Trank and Treverrow got themselves ousted, while R1 and Solo both ended up getting massive reshoots with second directors. While there isn't a permanent brain trust, there is a story group that is supposed to keep continuity intact, but also functions to develop concepts internally, by mining the old EU and other SW material. These concepts are out there, and they take meetings on them to hear pitches, and if they like it, they'll develop it further. This is why we hear about a Yoda movie, an Obi-Wan movie, a Boba Fett movie, etc. These are concepts they are considering, and they may even be commissioning scripts, but non have been greenlit, and they are likely actively on hold after Solo. They also hear pitches on original ideas from people who have big clout (like say, if you made Game of Thrones).

The idea of working a film franchise with writers working in a TV style room is a relatively new idea. The DCU was doing that to a small extent. The Dark Universe was doing it, but The Mummy got them shut down. Last I heard, The Transformers franchise is being handled this way now. That room was responsible for Bumblebee, which is considered a victory. I've heard of other franchises having rooms put together -- GI Joe and Men in Black come to mind, but you never know if anything will ever get made.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.