Movies you're embarrassed about?

I've reached the point where I find any show with a laugh track to be lesser than. Single camera comedies are a proven thing, and generally smarter. I feel like if you need to be cued as to when to laugh, it;'s not funny.

The IT crowd's laugh track may be the problem.

That said, it doesn't bother me with older shows that I watched BEFORE I made this decision.

Did you guys catch the recent ABC live "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons"?

it was really good but I didn't laugh out loud as much because racism is racial charged now.

Woody Harrelson and Jamie Foxx were super good though in their roles. Marisa Tomei was very strange as Edith trying to get her syncopation but still good.

Huh. I thought that other than the some of effects that Navigator remained solid. The aged make-up for the parents was, I felt, very well done. And for me the emotions of the story still felt right on, even a bit deeper for me in relation to now identifying with what the parents were going thru.

Makes me wonder if my kids were being polite when they said they liked it when we watch it together. lol I know that my daughter had particularly negative thoughts about Karate Kid, but when I asked her after watching it she was all, yeah, good, whatever. Hmm. I guess I should have clued into the whatever part.

I paid to see The Karate Kid 2 in theatres, wondering where it was going to go after Daniel overcame the bullies and his own insecurities. The first 10 or so minutes were interesting only in building the bond between Myagi and Daniel, but the second the shoehorned line explaining why his girlfriend dumped him, it was all downhill from there. Audiences knew why Elisabeth Shue did not return to the role, but the in-universe excuse completely destroyed her once-level headed, sensitive character, turning her into the kind of fickle teenager one might see in other 80s films, like Porky's...

So Daniel was mainly getting his ass kicked all over the San Fernando Valley by the Cobra Kais because of Ali...was it worth it?

Anyway, once the story moved to Okinawa, what good will the film earned (Miyagi and his troubled past plot) was lost thanks to Ralph Macchio being so terribly out of shape and unbelievable as a martial artist. He walked around like someone who never attempted any physical activity and wore the equivalent of "mom jeans" while performing his telegraphed, slow-motion moves. It was so cringe-worthy seeing him take on Chozen and win with some technique that Chozen--being taught in Okinawan martial arts presumably since childhood--would know how to avoid.

Seeing the Slo-Mo "Kid" beat Chozen was embarrassing, as there's no way anyone in the audience actually bought Daniel having any edge over his enemy. Film heroes winning when all on-screen evidence says they should not always makes for a pretty embarrassing film-going experience.

I paid to see The Karate Kid 2 in theatres, wondering where it was going to go after Daniel overcame the bullies and his own insecurities. The first 10 or so minutes were interesting only in building the bond between Myagi and Daniel, but the second the shoehorned line explaining why his girlfriend dumped him, it was all downhill from there. Audiences knew why Elisabeth Shue did not return to the role, but the in-universe excuse completely destroyed her once-level headed, sensitive character, turning her into the kind of fickle teenager one might see in other 80s films, like Porky's...

So Daniel was mainly getting his ass kicked all over the San Fernando Valley by the Cobra Kais because of Ali...was it worth it?

Anyway, once the story moved to Okinawa, what good will the film earned (Miyagi and his troubled past plot) was lost thanks to Ralph Macchio being so terribly out of shape and unbelievable as a martial artist. He walked around like someone who never attempted any physical activity and wore the equivalent of "mom jeans" while performing his telegraphed, slow-motion moves. It was so cringe-worthy seeing him take on Chozen and win with some technique that Chozen--being taught in Okinawan martial arts presumably since childhood--would know how to avoid.

Seeing the Slo-Mo "Kid" beat Chozen was embarrassing, as there's no way anyone in the audience actually bought Daniel having any edge over his enemy. Film heroes winning when all on-screen evidence says they should not always makes for a pretty embarrassing film-going experience.

Yeah, Ali was the catalyst for him getting his ass kicked. But the crux of the film was his growth, not winning her over. It was pretty much summed up during the boat scene.

Miyagi : "Why learn karate?"

Daniel: "So I don't have to fight."

Loved your analysis of part 2. I can imagine what you think of part 3.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Sandler and Anistons Murder Mystery on Netflix, but I didn't watch a trailer first so I got to experience the film (as basic as it was) fresh... the trailer ruins moments. I even thought the film could be a series, like old school Hart to Hart and all the other 80s mystery shows. I mention it here as embarrassing because apparently we are supposed to all dislike it for how basic it is and of course Sandler sucks or whatever.

Sandler's incredibly talented but has been super lazy. Pretty much he's gone back and forth between bad attempts at horrible family friendly stuff and just goofing off with his friends. I'm actually mildly excited to watch Murder Mystery because it doesn't seem like it's either of those. I haven't even seen the movie, but I'm willing to give it 25% above whatever rating it deserves just because of that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.