AEW(All Elite Wrestling)

Metropolis

The first real threat to the WWE since WCW? That's what fans out there would like to think. How realistic is it though? Impact Wrestling (TNA) has tried. It has never been more than a blip on the radar. AEW has what Impact didn't. Billionaire backing and now what appears to be a decent tv deal with AEW reportedly airing on TNT/TBS this October.

What AEW lacks is what indie fans think is it's strength. No real name talent. So far their biggest name is Chris Jericho. Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, and The Young Bucks are huge names in the indie scenes. They aren't going to get the casual gan to give more than a look. That's all they want though. I give "The Elite" tremendous credit for not signing with the WWE and instead trying to build their own company. I'll watch for that reason alone. Their roster is filling out with name names from the indie scenes. They are coming with a corporate model that is intriguing for wrestlers who may not want to work the schedule the WWE does. Their mere existence could force the WWE to up its game the same way they did back during the Monday Night Wars.

As optimistic as AEW fans are(they haven't had a single show yet), reality will have to set in at some point. There are a lot of questions the new show will have to answer.

- Is it WWE creative, or is it actually tough to juggle numerous wrestlers who fans think should be on top? The WWE has trouble finding time for wrestlers on two shows. How do wrestlers who were used to to being upper card acts in their leagues react to being lower to mid card acts in AEW? It's going to happen. How many wrestlers can you cram into a two hour show?

- Can Cody Rhodes and Kenny Omega draw viewers? Maybe Cody wasn't used right in the WWE, but they didn't exactly miss him when he left. As good as Kenny Omega is in the ring, his personas has been a little meh. As corny as "The Cleaner" was, his face character is a little boring.

- Wins will matter. This is something Cody had touted as a draw to their product. I like it. I'm all for certain wrestlers seeming dominant setting up matchups with other dominant opponents. In the WWE this has been gone out the window because every wrestler is a superstar, and you get PPV quality matches every show. This goes back to how will the talent react to being a jobber? Elias might be a jobber in the WWE, but he is a name that gets heat and sells merchandise.

- will they have rabbit ears? "The Elite" have built their brand through social media. They connect directly to their fans. What happens when the fans start treating them like the WWE? Will they cowtow to the fans or will they stick to their vision?

I hope for the best for AEW. I'm not down for a Penta Jr - Joey Ryan though.

Word is WWE talent who is frustrated with WWE is already eyeing AEW as a good alternative. Sasha Banks did not like the direction they went with the tag titles and is currently sitting out her contract. Dean Ambrose already left. With the financial backing AEW has, this could actually becomes something if stars like them start jumping ship.

I would love to see this happen as WWE has way too much talent and not enough time to develop storylines for all of them. Westlers like Asuka and Finn Balor have been getting shafted for a long time now due to this.

There are a ton of reasons for wrestlers not getting enough play. The loaded roster plays a huge role. Injuries have really mad things tough. Performers like Nakamura and Asuka really suffer because their English is terrible. As of right now though your can almost say that WWE doesn't have a true "superstar" on the roster right now. Someone who your want to tune in for. Daniel Bryan was getting there. I like Seth Rollins, but he's not must see.

I can understand Asuka or Nakamura cant be the top star due to their limited English. But they could be used way better than what we have seen. Asuka won the very first womens Royal Rumble, challenged and lost to Charlotte at WrestleMania, than has been stuck in comedy and/or tag team matches for no reason. I love teriyaki skits with Naomi. She was finally pushed again by winning the SD title and making Becky tap. That major win shouldve propelled her to some kind of major storyline for her title at Wrestlemania. Instead she disappeared from TV again only to lose the belt to Charlotte right before the pay-per-view.

The truth is Creative isnt very creative. The recent superstar shakeup is another example. Wrestlers...er, superstars were appearing on both shows without explanation as to who was going where or why. Andrade appears on Raw for new opportunities and then gets moved back to Smackdown the next day.

Its no wonder they cant build new stars. They cant even make a coherent show.

• 4 weeks later...

With Double Or Nothing tonight, so starts the AEW era. How will it go? Won't lie, I'm not dropping money for this ppv. I'll probably watch some live cast on YouTube. Since I haven't watched being the elite in a few months I've kinda missed how they are trying to move some of these stories forward.

• 1 month later...

I know there is a second of hardcore indie fans it there that want AEW to compete with WWE. That need to be as honest about the product as they are their criticism of the WWE. Fyter Fest this past weekend was kinda meh. Without the context of storylines (unless you watch Being the Elite on YouTube) these are just random matches. Not only are they random matches, they are fighting the problem of not having a draw. As much as WWE doesn't have that must see superstar, AEW doesn't have a must see wrestler......yet.

The main event with John Mickey(Dean Ambrose) and Joey Janela was boring. Now I'm not an extreme wrestling guy, but if your going to do a hardcore match you go all in (no pun intended). Both wrestlers not wearing shirts kept using barbed wire and came out with hardly any scratches. The thumbtacks were real. You can't take that I guess.

The Bucks and Omega were pretty funny with their Street Fighter homage. Very Japanese, but you can only get away with doing Hadoukens so often. Let's not go back to that well anytime soon.

I was bummed I missed it since I planned to watch it, but somehow got the day it was in confused. Reading afterward though, doesnt seem like I missed much. Its kinda funny too, since Stomping Ground looked like it was gonna be godawful and ended up pretty decent, while this was the opposite.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched parts. I missed the Cody Star Trek entrance though, I'll have to look that up. The Omega/PAC match was pretty good, one of the better Omega matches I've seen, but the guy still has dumbass goofy facial expressions that make it hard for me to take him seriously. And massive finisher spam. Still no interest in the slightest in the Bucks or old ass fatty Jericho, but giving him the belt was absolutely the right decision. Adam Page just isn't a top guy.

Jericho said the contract he signed was more than he every made in WWE on a single contact.

I don't get announcing that Cody will face Jericho at full gear for the title. I know you have to sell a ppv, but AEW fanboys have been all over it from the get go. You have a month on television to build to the ppv. Now you go into your television ppv with your main title already set. Plus it looks weird one of the executive VPs booking themselves for a title match this early.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.