I almost feel sorry for you Democrats

Marc DuQuesne

Now you get to see how the modern media apparatus can rig your primary and give you your own version of Trump. Granted, they aren't actually trying to hurt the Democrats like they were the Republicans, but with the combination of stupidity and influence they wield intentions hardly matter.

After the clusterfisk of an election they muddled up in 2016, they managed to distract the entire moronic Social Knotwork with a ridiculous conspiracy theory about the POTUS being a Russian agent. Russia isn't the one to blame for that travesty.

The only good thing is we don't have 3/4 parties to confuse things further, then we'd end up with Hitler for sure.

I feel sorry for you Republicans. You've compromised anything close you have to morals and sense to support your elected leader who is a game show host with clear mental health issues.

I may have never aligned morally with the GOP, but at least they upheld some American values.

There's some sort of double standard going on. I think Trump is basically the reaction of the GOP to the Clinton's. The GOP establishment was so infatuated with the Clinton's, it drove them insane. It started way back with Gingrich in Bill's years, and teetered really hard through Hillary serving a black man's administration. Here's these Arkansas hicks getting rich and doing stuff in DC. So they let a rampant guy who doesn't really embody any truly GOP values get the White House because it's easier than admitting "Hey, we were wrong" but look at our tax cuts and our new Supreme Court. I mean Trump is the most uncouth redneckiddy base appeal for the GOP. Before he gave more to Democrats, is a pro-abortioner and was a few steps away from being caught for shell games to keep himself rich. The difference is that the worst part of the Democrats right now like AOC will stop at a certain line and say that's too far. Note, I don't think AOC is evil or terrible and actually think she's doing a good job which is the opposite of what her polls state.

If you guys think poiticking is easy I say you try and run for something like school board or sit on your HOA's board or even worse, a committee at work. There really is no easy way to do stuff when you have all these people wanting this or that and working towards their own ends with the different personalities. I know I wanted to move to a compound and not be a part of civilization after sitting on my condo's board for five years. And only joined it because I wanted to get recycling started in our complex.

Because democracy is ugly and not actually a type of government like Russia, we haven't died yet nor do we get perfection.

Nope, I agree with you Met. Reads to me like Trump was a media creation that won, in large part, because of the media. We've spent years trying to blame Russia, but in reality we put him in charge. Now it's potentially time for the media to create the Democrat version of Trump.

I always thought that there was evidence of Russia interfering with the campaign, but I think there's a difference between that and the election. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was Russian support for Bernie, even though I haven't heard about it.

The past four presidents have won basically based on who you would most want to hang out with. Trump beats Hillary by a lot in that regard, at least for a sizeable number of people. Beto, so far, wins that on the Democratic side. He also wins media fascination, although that can turn quickly.

I get his point fine, but he's still posturing so I felt inclined to respond in kind.

You don't get anything about me. You accuse me of abandoning morals to support Trump? I'm one of the few people who have been criticising Trump for legitimate reasons instead of crying about Russia. You have made a caricature of me and you view every post I make through that prism.

I am honestly disgusted with the primary process, the media's control over it, and how by the time I get a vote it has already been decided. I didn't get any ****ing choice at all in the GOP candidate. I didn't choose Trump. I'm disgusted with the process that got him choosen for me, and I'm irate with my fellow Americans letting them get away with it.

I get his point fine, but he's still posturing so I felt inclined to respond in kind.

You don't get anything about me. You accuse me of abandoning morals to support Trump? I'm one of the few people who have been criticising Trump for legitimate reasons instead of crying about Russia. You have made a caricature of me and you view every post I make through that prism.

You mean how you made a charicature of every registered democrat? I vote democrat, and I don't for one second fit your sweeping generalization.

I made the exact same sort of statement you did, I didn't si gle you out. Sou ds like you're choosing to be offended.

I started a thread about how the media has entirely too much influence on the primary process and was able to saddle the Republicans with Trump, at the direction of and in collusion with the DNC and Clinton campaign. Your response, beating Republicans over the head with the anchor in question. You ARE the stereotype. A bit of a douche too.

Look at the title of your thread. Look at the first line of my post. Same thing. Literally the same thing. You post a sweeping generalization about an entire party. So I did the same and you can't deal.

You could have made your point without talking down being pedantic.

And you saying I'm a douche is hilarious given how most of your posts are an attempt to goad people into a conversation instead of posing a question. You set this bar, and then you're a baby when people don't respond the way you want.

We literally all see it. You're no where near as smart as you think you are. Check your rhetoric and try again.

What is interesting is to see which way the media will go with this. They've already put Beto in the "you're a rich white guy" corner. What happens when Biden enters his name? If he doesn't get the having of Obama, he could be cat of as another white guy as well.

I feel sorry for you Republicans. You've compromised anything close you have to morals and sense to support your elected leader who is a game show host with clear mental health issues.

I may have never aligned morally with the GOP, but at least they upheld some American values.

Morals? You mean like that pillar of virtue named Bill Clinton, the man accused of rape (several times) and was a serial adulterer before and during his term as president? Where's the Left outrage over that? Nowhere. He's treated like a national treasure and is a hero to many on the left, despite his abuses. Nahh, its all about Trump.

Or perhaps you mean the morals which had the MeToo crowd jumping into the Kavanaugh hearings screaming that you "must" believe anything his accusers said, yet when Virginia Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax was recently accused of rape by two women, next to none of the MeToo movement and Democrats are demanding that we "must" believe the alleged victims. We know why they do not want Faifax out of his job, so his accusers are essentially being told to f*ck themselves--a Democrat has to stay in office.

Yes, those darned, immoral Repub....

For a smart guy you sure do miss frame of context a lot.

I was doing what the original post did to make the point that generalizations are a non-starter. You've basically just done the same thing, with adding on assumptions. I vote democrat therefor I must worship Clinton.

Wrong.

Congrats to both of you for exemplifying the very problem wrong with this country that politics and news media have reduced everything to if/than binary thoughts.

Also, congrats on mastering the most simple-minded political debate device ever: deflection.

I say: Trump murdered a puppy, he should step down.

You say: Clinton stomped a kitten in 1994! hypocrite!

You can't invalidate the fact Trump killed a puppy but pointing out that person who stated this is politically favoring the party of somebody else that killed a house pet.

For a smart guy you sure do miss frame of context a lot.

I was doing what the original post did to make the point that generalizations are a non-starter. You've basically just done the same thing, with adding on assumptions. I vote democrat therefor I must worship Clinton.

Wrong.

Congrats to both of you for exemplifying the very problem wrong with this country that politics and news media have reduced everything to if/than binary thoughts.

Also, congrats on mastering the most simple-minded political debate device ever: deflection.

I say: Trump murdered a puppy, he should step down.

You say: Clinton stomped a kitten in 1994! hypocrite!

You can't invalidate the fact Trump killed a puppy but pointing out that person who stated this is politically favoring the party of somebody else that killed a house pet.

Talk about missing things. I understood what your needling Marc's post. but in that mockery rests what many on the Left believe about Trump and by association, Republicans. There's not a day that goes by where that's not happening.

Regarding Clinton, I was not talking about you, but a great number of the Left who did (in the 90s) and continue to handwave his history of rape, etc., to claim (erroneously) that he was one of the greatest presidents, and in recent years treat him like he's a statesman of the highest order / character. How often do you see the "Trump is the worst thing e-v-v-err!" group attacking Clinton for his history of abuses? Never, yet this same party dares to cry about morals in regards to Trump. That's not deflection, its pointing out--as you tried to mock--hypocrisy. Much like the hypocrisy in their lack of MeToo and Democratic action in the case of the accused Fairfax, when they screamed their way into the Kavanaugh hearings, damn near threatening anyone who did not believe his accusers from the jump.

The point you miss--mocking Marc or not--is either one has a clear moral view that knows no party affiliation, or they do not. The Left cannot cry about alleged lack of morals on the Right for supporting Trump while Mount Rushmore-izing Bill Clinton, a proven rapist...unless we're not believing women in that case. Hard to tell. The moral outrage chess pieces continue to be moved around based on ideological whims instead of a desire for truth.

Ha ha ha! Morals? When the hell did the G.O.P establishment ever have morals? During Eisenhower's administration, maybe?

Trump worked because he filled the ideological vacuum in the G.O.P and on the US right more generally. What ideological vacuum? Everything they'd staked themselves on at least as far back as Reagan, if not Nixon, has turned out to be a complete sham, and that became apparent on a wide scale by the tail end of George W. Bush's presidency. Trickle down economics? Sham. WMDs in Iraq, and neocon foreign policy more generally? Sham. US conservatism as emblematic of and upholding "Christian" values? Sham. They're precisely the kind of people Christ quarreled with if you actually read the gospels. More like the sort of fellow who tempted Christ in the desert, but I digress.

I don't say this to exonerate the democrats of the era - they had their problems, which I'll get to in a moment. But Obama's victory did, as I'm sure we can all recollect, cast the US right into a complete tailspin. All they had to offer were silly conspiracy theories - birth certificate, anyone? - and silly rubbish about how Obama was a communist, a Nazi, a Muslim and a liberal all in one go. You had the Tea Party - a faction of intransigent ideologues who held the party, and at times the governance of the nation hostage to their unworkable ideological world view. Prior to Trump's whirlwind capture of the party, one could be forgiven for wondering if they'd ever see the inside of the Oval Office ever again.

Which brings me to the present, and the current situation with the democrats. It's really like they're using the G.O.P failures of the Obama era as a blueprint and instruction manual for their own compounding failures in the present. Let's review:

Heavily ideological media echo chambers a-la Fox News and a.m talk radio? Look at the plethora of "woke" blogs to emerge in the tail end of the Obama era, the Young Turks network, to some extent even MSNBC, late night talkshow hosts like Maddow, Colbert, etc. So check.

An intransigent bloc of ideologues who can't be reasoned with and even take pride in their stubbornness and willful ignorance, a-la the Tea Party or the religious right? Look at the emergence of the social justice warriors - especially on college campuses in tandem with the above mentioned woke blogs, the pink hat "resistance" in the manner of the Tea Party, etc. So again, check.

Obsessive derangement syndrome surrounding the sitting president, including silly conspiracy theories like birtherism? Look at the ongoing comparisons of Trump and his fan base to Hitler and Russian collusion as a counterpart to Obama's not being an authentic US citizen. So again, check.

Stealing elections? These allegations always haunted Bush after 2000, just as the rigging of the DLC leadership race in 2016 dogged Clinton.

Ignoring one's political platform and base of support once in office, and simply dancing to the tune of the wealthiest and most influential lobbyists? Yeah, I think we all know the answer to that one.

I suppose I could go on, but I think the point is made. Trump took power due to his appeal to the basest and worst instincts in the US body politic, and indeed in human nature more generally. Namely the propensity to alpha-male hero worship. He was pure bluster and bombast, and it took him all the way to the White House. His win is best taken as in indictment of the political class's insistence on living in a bubble and being completely out of touch and apathetic with regards to the concerns and interests of the general population. It's not because of Russians, it's not because of deplorables, it's not because of Bernie Bro's. It's because of themselves.

America doesn't need any more manufactured astroturf responses to all of this. No more Hope and Change. No more Making America Great Again. No more Tea Party. No more SJWs. No more right wing talk radio. No more left wing tech blogs.

What it needs is their own version of the French Yellow Vests.

Looking back now, I am mostly fond of the early Tea Party, before it was steeped in military imperialism and the imposition of moral values by legislation. And to be honest, the very early Occupy Wall Street movement was similar, before it was hijacked by anti-capitalist, entitled puppets. Both movements started with similar goals but quickly spun out of control into opposite, but equally extremist, identities.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.