Boeing 737 Max.

Ms. Spam

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, 737s have been in service since I think the late 1960s, so they have a long, long track record of being safe. The 737 Max is just the latest variant with more powerful engines and tweaks to the body frame and avionics. I think the real issue is that the planes that crashed are all from overseas companies in nations abroad. It's unclear to me, and I could be wrong, but I tend to think this is more about these planes not receiving the proper maintenance and checks than any real design flaws. A lot of overseas airlines aren't as thorough as US and European airlines.

I have heard it said that the government shut down affected this because updates and maintenance was not done because the FAA was not able to do it's job. But honestly the only planes that have crashed were the one in Ethiopia and one back in October I think which was pre-government shut down.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have heard it said that the government shut down affected this because updates and maintenance was not done because the FAA was not able to do it's job. But honestly the only planes that have crashed were the one in Ethiopia and one back in October I think which was pre-government shut down.

This was all prompted by crashes in other countries, though. Not the US. Crash#1 was in Oct 2018 in Indonesia (Lion Air, and Indonesian airliner), Crash #2 was last week in Ethiopia (Ethiopian Air), and an engine failure prompting a forced early landing in Iran (Norwegian Air, operating from Dubai to Oslo). Pressure was prompted by these crashes for a world-wide grounding, which I think was an over reaction, but it is better to be safe than sorry. But like I said, the basic design of the 737 is almost 50 years old, and has a long track record of being a reliable aircraft. So, I tend to think that there may be a maintenance issue, or some other human-caused issue.

Oh, I agree. I was listening to someone book a flight the other day and they asked what type of plane it was. These planes are newer. There are lots of older planes that have a lot of hours of flight that have failures too. That's why I feel so bad for Boeing.

The issue was that Boeing installed a anti-stalling feature into the planes and pilots were not notified, nor trained around it. Boeing appearently denied its existence prior to the Lior Air crash.

There have been many complaints around it apparently, from US, European and other countries. It might not have been the cause of this crash but this is why this model of plane have been landed.

I deleted this because of Destiny who, I'm assuming, can't say a lot on this, and might have had enough of lay people stuff. Nothing I wrote couldn't be found in any detailed news piece (or Wikipedia, or PPRuNe) and it was first draft quality anyway. Hope this isn't giving them too much stress.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.