Re-watching the Sopranos

Odine

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think the dream sequence episodes are some of the best Sopranos episodes, and in fact, maybe some of the best TV made.

What is a little sad is when the series ended and James Gandolfini was still alive, I liked to think there would have been a follow up movie, or at the very least, I left Tony Soprano's fate up to interpretation (I personally liked to think he was arrested). But after JG passed away in real life, it's hard not to watch the finale and NOT think that Tony was whacked when the final episode fades to black at the end.

Just finished the end of S01. It was an absolute blast. So much nostalgia for the turn of the millennium. Cant wait to get S02. Whats even better is Im watching this with my wife who had never seen the Sopranos before.

Also the clothing is amazing. Flashbacks to my teens. Weird seeing the twin towers in the introduction. Ill be interested to see the the episodes post 911 to see if they capture the change in spirit

I think part of the reason this show holds up so well is that it doesn't feel dated at all. Aside from some bits in the first episode, it comes off as a show that could still be made right now as a "period show" set in the late 90's, early 00's. The 9/11 thing is really done...not American but I feel it captures the spirit of how a lot of the Western world felt post the attacks, or at least what the mafia would be feeling.

Was watching a bit today, the way through the show they portray Tony's love for animals and babies/children and Melfi's last scene....I can't think of any show where the whole essence of a character is captured so perfectly.

Seriously HBO is pretty much the bar when it comes to great television but excluding possibly the Wire, they even haven't been able to match the brilliance of this show. Game of Thrones might be the big ass money maker but Sopranos will always be their flagship show.

Im 35 years old and I only just started watching The Sopranos back in January and finished it up a couple weeks ago.

What an amazing series. Even after all these years, it doesnt feel out dated. Tony Soprano is an amazing character. By the end of the show, this may have had to do with binging it in a spawn of 5-6 weeks, I really despised Tony. I knew and understood that he was a bad person, but I had always hoped he would turn into a decent family man.

As far as what happened at the end, who knows. I didnt feel it was anything sinister or the end for Tony. I know the black scene was meant to make you think a lot of things, but I just felt it was Meadow walking in to have a nice dinner with the family and the Sopranos would live their lives like they had the last 6 seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally finished season 6. What a couple months its been! Sopranos every night before bed. I think my unborn son may have been beginning to recognise the voice of Tony as perhaps his own pop. There was never a dip in quality with that show.. Just brilliant from start to finish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.