Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Re-watching the Sopranos

17 replies to this topic

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,313 posts
What a show... Where it all began! (the whole TV revolution) Watched the pilot last night. I don't remember the soundtrack being so good either.. Link Wray and Bo Diddley within a few scenes of each other.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,084 posts
I should try watching it sometime now that stuff is easy to get online.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

I have to rewatch that show at least once a year.  It is a good one.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,422 posts

That show is without a doubt the best that has ever screened on TV. The last season, at least the second half, felt like it was plodding along, then by the end it all connected and sealed itself as the best. 

And Gandolfini....screen legend. 

• Odine +1 this

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,313 posts
Also the clothing is amazing. Flashbacks to my teens. Weird seeing the twin towers in the introduction. Ill be interested to see the the episodes post 911 to see if they capture the change in spirit

Rogue 3

Rogue 3

Who is Number 1?

• 2,675 posts

That's next on my list to blitz through for a second time!  Just finishing off Breaking Bad's second viewing (7 episodes left I think I have) after getting up to date on Better Call Saul!   

Superb series!

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

I think the dream sequence episodes are some of the best Sopranos episodes, and in fact, maybe some of the best TV made.  

What is a little sad is when the series ended and James Gandolfini was still alive, I liked to think there would have been a follow up movie, or at the very least, I left Tony Soprano's fate up to interpretation (I personally liked to think he was arrested).  But after JG passed away in real life, it's hard not to watch the finale and NOT think that Tony was whacked when the final episode fades to black at the end.

• Dark Wader and Odine +1 this

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,313 posts
Just finished the end of S01. It was an absolute blast. So much nostalgia for the turn of the millennium. Cant wait to get S02. Whats even better is Im watching this with my wife who had never seen the Sopranos before.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,422 posts

Also the clothing is amazing. Flashbacks to my teens. Weird seeing the twin towers in the introduction. Ill be interested to see the the episodes post 911 to see if they capture the change in spirit

I think part of the reason this show holds up so well is that it doesn't feel dated at all. Aside from some bits in the first episode, it comes off as a show that could still be made right now as a "period show" set in the late 90's, early 00's. The 9/11 thing is really done...not American but I feel it captures the spirit of how a lot of the Western world felt post the attacks, or at least what the mafia would be feeling. 

Was watching a bit today, the way through the show they portray Tony's love for animals and babies/children and Melfi's last scene....I can't think of any show where the whole essence of a character is captured so perfectly. 

Seriously HBO is pretty much the bar when it comes to great television but excluding possibly the Wire, they even haven't been able to match the brilliance of this show. Game of Thrones might be the big ass money maker but Sopranos will always be their flagship show. 

• Odine +1 this

David

David

LOOK ALIVE

• 14,819 posts
Im 35 years old and I only just started watching The Sopranos back in January and finished it up a couple weeks ago.

What an amazing series. Even after all these years, it doesnt feel out dated. Tony Soprano is an amazing character. By the end of the show, this may have had to do with binging it in a spawn of 5-6 weeks, I really despised Tony. I knew and understood that he was a bad person, but I had always hoped he would turn into a decent family man.

As far as what happened at the end, who knows. I didnt feel it was anything sinister or the end for Tony. I know the black scene was meant to make you think a lot of things, but I just felt it was Meadow walking in to have a nice dinner with the family and the Sopranos would live their lives like they had the last 6 seasons.
  • Odine +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

Drinking game!   

Take a drink every time you watch Goodfellas, and spot an actor from Sopranos (and/or one of the Law and Orders).

• Odine +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

So I may be late to the party on this, but I found out the other day that a Sopranos prequel movie titled The Many Saints of Newark is in the works. 

https://www.imdb.com...ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

https://en.wikipedia...aints_of_Newark

Ray Liotta is in it, which is cool.  They also cast Michael Gandolfini as Tony Soprano, which is cool and he does look like his father, but I don't know any of his acting work or how well he acts.  The title itself, to me, seems a reference to Dickie Moltisanti (last name meaning "many saints), who is also in the film and played by Alissandro Nivola, whom I am also not familiar with.

However, my biggest question is that (assuming Tony Soprano is in the movie from the beginning), how are the going to have a 19 year old Tony Soprano in 1967?  Tony was 47-48 in the final season, which was 2007, meaning he would have been born in 1960 (JG was born in 1961 in real life), so by that math, Tony would only be 7 years old, not 19.

There must be some more info to this because I don't see David Chase making a mistake that big. 

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,422 posts

Probably flashbacks. I agree I don't see them having a mistake that big. Maybe the bookend the movie with scenes of Tony at 19. 

• El Chalupacabra +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

Probably flashbacks. I agree I don't see them having a mistake that big. Maybe the bookend the movie with scenes of Tony at 19. 

Could be.  They also have a character on IMDB (just noticed) cast as "mob kid,"  so maybe there are 2 actors in this film playing the part of Tony.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,997 posts

Maybe it is gonna be like Bronx Tale, with a large skip in time, or like Godfather 2 with 2 stories being told through

out the movie?

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

I'd really love that!

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,997 posts

Tony's birthday is officially in 1959, so yeah anything in the sixties wouldn't work. 

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,313 posts
Finally finished season 6. What a couple months its been! Sopranos every night before bed. I think my unborn son may have been beginning to recognise the voice of Tony as perhaps his own pop. There was never a dip in quality with that show.. Just brilliant from start to finish.
  • El Chalupacabra +1 this

Reply to this topic