When's the last time you bought a CD?

Metropolis

The last CD I bought was Dream Theater's "The Astonishing" three years ago. Tomorrow is the release of their new album "A Distance Over Time". So I'll listen to the album when it pops up in Google Play Music after midnight, but tomorrow I'm headed to the record store to purchase the CD. I'm a believer in actually buying a CD of your want to support the band(if you really dig the album) because it takes a lot of streams for bands to earn money.

It's so easy to just stream especially when the number of record stores have finished down to almost none. Best Buy doesn't sell CDs anymore. The selection of what I'm looking for I can't find at Walmart. Thankfully I have an actual record store close to me that carries all yours if music. Haven't been there in a while, but I'd be surprised if I walk out if there without at least 3 CDs.

Haven't bought a CD for years, generally these days listen to most stuff on streaming and if I really like an album, I'll buy the record/vinyl version of it.

Though I've been getting all the super deluxe Metallica boxsets when they've been released which come with a whole bunch of CD's (among other things) so don't know if that counts.

I purchase albums of everything I like from bandcamp. Mostly digital files. But i stay away from streaming services. Mostly because i like to be pro active in finding music rather than leave it to an algorithm to recommend me stuff, and because of the complete financial rip off nature of streaming services to the artists. If i buy hardcopy its usually vinyl. CD is the poorest audio fidelity of any format and only degrades with successive plays. But yeah.. Buying from the artist direct in any format is commendable in this day and age and preferable to streaming.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I've bought CDs for other people as recently as this past December. But for myself, it's been years (approaching a decade?), and even then, it was a rare event, like supporting a local band or a new release from a band I had listened to for years. The fringe benefit of working in a technology profession, is helping other people back up their saved files before reformatting a PC or device, and then asking if I can have a copy of their music files. Or trading files with other techs. I have hard drives full of music that I horde, and never listen to.

And yet I listen to the same crap I have listened to for over 20 years.

I walked out with only the one CD. There CDs I had on my must own list they were out of. The used ones I thought about had me thinking "well I can just stream it".

What I like about streaming is that I can listen time of bands on just a recommendation. The downside is that if the song doesn't grab me off that bat it is usually a one and done listen. When I buy the album I'll give the while thing at least two listens before I shelve it or put it into rotation.

The last CD I bought was for the marching band of one of the universities I attended. I enjoy marching arrangements of songs, so I wanted it, but the only CD player I actually really have right now is the one in my car (other than I guess my bluray player?). I haven't listened to the CD at all in the over a year that I have had it.

The last one I remember was a Rammstein CD about ten years ago, which itself was about ten years old at the time. But it isn't because the format is outdated that I don't often buy CDs, because I am someone who likes to physically own things; it is because I don't listen to music often enough to do so. I like what I like, but it's rarely a whole album.

Just recently I bought my first physical CD in years. I picked up a collection of 80s Japanese ambient/new age called Kankyō Ongaku, but mostly as a collector's item.

While I don't buy CDs anymore, I'll still pick up digital albums if I've got cash to spend. Usually I'll buy directly from artists on Bandcamp or otherwise buy merch if it's available.

Honestly it's a hassle to not just store CDs but to even play them. My desktop and laptop don't have disc drives and when driving I just stream music from my phone to the car's stereo through bluetooth. Convenience wins!

• 3 weeks later...

Its been years. At least 5 years. I do see myself purchasing a cd this year, though, with the assumed presumption that Tool is finally releasing their latest album this year (all signs really are pointing to this), and as of this post, Tool still does not have their catalogue of music available digitally.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A week ago. Enrique Bunbury's California Live!!!

I'm probably one of the few who's never stopped buying CDs even as the format has been dying a slow death. Stores like Target only carry the standard pop star trendy stuff. But there's a great record store in So Cal called Amoeba Records. It has a great selection of all types of music and films. It gets a lot of support from artists as they will make appearances and put on shows at this location. The best part is when I order online, they'll ship my purchases for free.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.