Whats your favorite hot sauce? (edit: or condiments)

Odine

Personally I love Siracha and put it on nearly everything. Especially eggs.

Also like Chalula Hot Sauce for burritos. Smoky Tabasco is pretty good too.

But Im a novice. Takers? Suggestions?

In fact this conversation can steer to any kind of condiments really.. Cause sauces and condiments rule

My absolute favorite that I will eat on everything is Pepper Palaces Marie Laveau. They nail the blend of heat and flavor with that one. Its clearly supposed to be a Cajun style sauce, but the flavors work with a lot of different kinds of cuisine, which you cant say for a lot of other sauces.

I actually just bought a bottle of real Sriracha from Thailand, made by the family of the man who invented the sauce. Its a lot sweeter and noticeably hotter than the American stuff.

This is a very complicated topic. I believe in the right hot sauce for the right job.

For anything asian, Siracha wins. I find it mixed best with sesame, soy, hoisin, teriyaki, etc...

But you don't go putting siracha on tacos. That's insane. If I'm doing American style tacos at home it's chunky tomato salsa if it's big fixings, if it's just meat and cheese, I prefer tabasco.

If I'm making traditional style tacos at home I go with Cholula, Tapatio, or the TJ's knock off just called "taco sauce."

Chunky salsa is good for body. Any family style jar works, I like Pace.

For traditional LA street tacos/burritos I use the red hot sauce every taco vendor has a slight variation of.

For bigger Mexican meals I prefer chili verde, the green sauce.

Tabasco is pretty universal-- Hashbrowns, eggs, popcorn, mac n cheese, anything that needs a little kick but doesn't require extra flavor.

People know I like it spicy and are always buying me novelty hot sauces like ASS IN THE TUB or something. They're never that great and I use them for cooking usually.

I had a few Tex Mex meals in Santa Fe once that had so e amazing hot sauce I'd love to eat again.

A bit if a shame sauce (though not as bad as Taco Bell) I do like the Baja salsa from Baja Fresh.

Finally, for watermelon I live for Tajin.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I make my own salsa, salsa verde/ green chili sauce, not just because it tastes better, but also for health reasons. Stuff you buy at the store has soooo much sugar and sodium (and not enough cilantro...I love cilantro) . But when I have to buy, I get like to try deli salsa from Sprouts or something similar. I sometimes get Pace picante when I am out of stuff I made, and usually use it for omelets, or cooking meat with. Siracha is good for a lot of things, not just Asian food. I've been known to marinate steaks with it, along with a combo of other stuff. Cholula is the only bottle (taco/burrito) sauce I get.

Taco Bell hot sauce. HAHAHAHAHA!

I like making salsa but do like Julio's from the refrigerator section.

Fun fact. When I was in college I used to get a hand full of taco bell sauce and use that, to save money!

We like making my own salsas and stuff too when we make a big meal or special meal. And yeah Chalup, sugar content in sauces can be pretty terrifying.

Other condiments I dig are horseradish, worcester sauce, any kind of mustard but especially Dijon, aoli, and tartare for fish n chips. Oh and vinegar on chips (you call them fries) is a must. Also harissa is awesome too

Crystal's Louisiana's hot sauce.

I thought Crystal's was a big letdown. It's not hot at all. When I tell fans that, I get "oh, it's all about the flavor!" except... it doesn't have any flavor, either. You might as well just use plain white vinegar as far as I'm concerned.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I haven't made it in a long while, but I like making macaroni with multi-blend shredded cheese, and El Pato sauce.

Why do we want foods that burn?

You live in Texas, and you ask that? For shaaame!

Even if you do go to an extreme, who gives a fart if you look sexy? I think that one of the least sexy things in the world is owning a cat, but I also don't care if people own them.

Buttermilk is best, though any of the above named products will work.

And it's best for any capsaicin burn. I thought I was tough and de-seeded and chopped a couple of habeneros without gloves one time... and then rubbed my eyes with my habenero oil covered hand... a buttermilk flush for the eyes and soak for the hands took the sting and the rash down really fast, which was really good... since I had my period and kinda needed hands that wouldn't cause chemical burns to take care of that...

Buttermilk is best, though any of the above named products will work.

And it's best for any capsaicin burn. I thought I was tough and de-seeded and chopped a couple of habeneros without gloves one time... and then rubbed my eyes with my habenero oil covered hand... a buttermilk flush for the eyes and soak for the hands took the sting and the rash down really fast, which was really good... since I had my period and kinda needed hands that wouldn't cause chemical burns to take care of that...

That story is almost as cringe-worthy as Abducted in Plain Sight

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.