Guilty Pleasures

Odine

So i know there is an old thread in the archives somewhere called exactly this bu i can't be arsed finding it to give it a bump.

I was in the supermarket the other day and a Sheryl Crow song came on. The one where she goes "If it makes you haaaappyyyyyyyyyyyy". And I enjoyed it. Sad bastard. Hit me with your guilty pleasures

R. Kelly's Ignition/Remix (he's a monster and I hate that he's done anything I like but that song is a damn bop. I had to mute him on Spotify to keep myself from feeding him more of my listening pennies).

Basically anything on top 40 country radio (I have seen that youtube video, I know it's all the same song played over and over again with new but equally dumb lyrics and a new but equally hot-in-that-generic-white-everydude-way baseball hatted singer... but the formula works, okay? Especially in the summer).

Basically everything that was on top 40 pop radio in the 90's (including that Sheryl Crow song, and with the exception of anything by Natalie Imbruglia and Train, those are always objectively awful).

Basically everything made for the rennaissance faire / pagan pride crowd (think Blackmore's Night and Nightwish and other bands with and occasionally without "night" in the name).

I was in the supermarket the other day and a Sheryl Crow song came on. The one where she goes "If it makes you haaaappyyyyyyyyyyyy". And I enjoyed it. Sad bastard. Hit me with your guilty pleasures

I just realized that the whole line is "if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad," and that's pretty much the most perfect song to inspire a guilty pleasures thread.

Also, it took me three hours to realize this because I am slow sometimes.

R. Kelly's Ignition/Remix (he's a monster and I hate that he's done anything I like but that song is a damn bop. I had to mute him on Spotify to keep myself from feeding him more of my listening pennies).

Basically anything on top 40 country radio (I have seen that youtube video, I know it's all the same song played over and over again with new but equally dumb lyrics and a new but equally hot-in-that-generic-white-everydude-way baseball hatted singer... but the formula works, okay? Especially in the summer).

Basically everything that was on top 40 pop radio in the 90's (including that Sheryl Crow song, and with the exception of anything by Natalie Imbruglia and Train, those are always objectively awful).

Basically everything made for the rennaissance faire / pagan pride crowd (think Blackmore's Night and Nightwish and other bands with and occasionally without "night" in the name).

Nightwish is one of my favorite bands.(they're one of the top bands in the euro metal scene) Guilty pleasure? Now Blackmore's Night is a little niche, so if I hear you blaring that out your car stereo I will do a serious double take.

That said I don't know how Ritchie Blackmore scored Candice Night.

Nightwish is one of my favorite bands.(they're one of the top bands in the euro metal scene) Guilty pleasure?

The Euro metal scene is clearly populated by a bunch of massive ****ing nerds. Nightwish's biggest hit is half in Elvish. Their entire catalog sounds like it's meant to be a soundtrack to a Mountain Dew and Funyuns fueled D&D game. That they have a very large fan base does not make their music any less cheesy.

I'll admit my bias. They are my second favorite band. They're biggest hit (in the states at least) is "I Wish I Had An Angel". Not an elvish sounding song in the least. I know what you mean though. They do use a lot of Celtic and Nordic sounds in their music. They've long since ditched the Tolkien aspect of most Finnish metal bands. Looked I said, I am biased.

I actually flew to Atlanta for their first ever concert in the US back in 2003. Met the band got their autographs. Toumas said thanks for coming to see us "bro". I laughed inside thinking he probably doesn't see black people much in Finland.

I was referring to "Wishmaster," of course. Probably because I was introduced to them back in the Tarja days (by a DM, while drinking moonshine and playing around with LARPing boffers at a house party), but Wishmaster is always going to be THE song I associate with the band.

I'm not saying they're bad. I'm saying they're cheesy af. They're both my dad and my sister's favorite band of all time - my dad watches that Wacken performance on youtube at least once a week. And both readily admit that they're cheesy af. Doesn't matter to them. My dad even proudly declares Tuomas a Hobbit every time the subject is raised.

For the record, I briefly considered seeing them live when they played Kalamazoo last year, but I can't afford to pay $250 to sit in the nosebleeds.

Anyway, I'll end this post on this inevitable note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ

I'm not guilty about anything. But N'Sync and Justin Timberlake are really good. I've also recently gained an appreciation for Wham!

I have no clue what I saw in ska in the 90s though. Mass hallucinations making us think it was good?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.