The Grammys

Metropolis

So I'm watching this because I have no real clue when it comes to pop music anymore. I haven't listened to top 40 radio in years. I'm trying not to be the get off my porch guy, but man they don't make music like they used to. There aren't many left that can actually sing apparently.

Kacey Musgrave wins a Grammy for best album and I can't get over the fact that she can't sing. And country music is forgiving for artists without vocal talent!

Kacey Musgrave wins a Grammy for best album and I can't get over the fact that she can't sing. And country music is forgiving for artists without vocal talent!

I happen to be a Kacey Musgraves stan. She doesn't have a diva voice, and melodically her songs are pretty standard old country/folk fare (with the exception of some of Golden Hour), but it's her lyrics that make her amazing. I've lived my whole life in semi-rural middle america, and she nails the fuck out of what that life is like. Way more than the party-bro stuff that top 40 country radio plays. I mean, you've got Luke Bryan out there singing about staging a party in a cornfield, when no one who has ever been anywhere near a cornfield would ever do something that stupid. Real, authentic music right there :rolleyes: And yet Musgraves still distinguishes herself from other alt-country female artists by keeping the vibe very chill and doesn't dig too hard into melodrama (I mean, I adore Margo Price and Angaleena Presley, but like 70% of their stuff are old country weepers about poverty and addiction and the death of a loved one or three).

Not surprisingly, top 40 country radio never plays Musgraves's stuff. So with Golden Hour she basically just said "fuck it," made the album she wanted to make (complete with a lo-fi disco vibe), NPR named her a "patron saint of Roséwave" last summer for High Horse, and she ended up with the top Grammy. I applaud her.

That being said, I don't actually follow the Grammys, so beyond stanning Musgraves and being happy for her win, I really dgaf about it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.