Do you still rewatch old sci fi/fantasy/horror TV shows and movies

Guest El Chalupacabra

I could do battle star Galactica again. I love the episode of Portlandia dedicated to it.

Always do an Alien trilogy re-watch every few years.

Re watched Game of Thrones from season 01 up to date a few months back.

The OT gets a recurring re watch every few years. As does the PT and i always wonder why Im sitting through it.

Lord of the Rings gets a blast at christmas if my sister visits. We did the extended directors cut of the entire trilogy on boxing day once. I felt like Frodo myself at the end, when we finally got through it all. Wine and food definitely helped.

I don't even know where to begin.

All versions Trek and SW get play throughs during the year.

Indy, BTTF, Blade Runner, and the first Terminator as well.

Every October I watch horror films every day, 2/3 of them tend to be classics.

Guest El Chalupacabra

As I get older, I seem to find myself rewatching older stuff more, and newer stuff less frequently. I consider older meaning a series or film that is at least 10 years or more old. I suppose it is much like listening to songs over and over that you loved when you were younger. There are a lot more films that I rewatch, but this list is the stuff I most frequently and consistently rewatch.

Sci Fi TV:

Star Trek TOS/TAS/TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT: all of them get watched completely through at least once a year to 18 months. I'm the type who once I start a Star Trek series, I have to watch it beginning to end, so sometimes I pull out the Fan Collective DVDs and watch the "best of" episodes, instead. By far, my most rewatched franchise.

Stargate SG1/Atlantis/SGU: been a while, but I used to watch these at least once a year to 18 months.

Babylon 5: once every 12-18 months.

Original Twilight Zone: I rewatch some episodes...usually starts when I see a 4th of July marathon, then for a few days after, I rewatch more on disk.

Shows like xfiles, Firefly, OG BSG, BSG reboot, original V, outer limits (OG and 1990s), Farscape, Buck Rogers get rewatches occasionally, but no set pattern, and seems in recent years I watch less and less. I think BSG reboot is due, though.

Sci Fi Movies:

Star Trek 1-10 multiple times a year, though the Kelvin movies sneak in there once in a while.

Star Wars OT/PT, Alien franchise gets it at least twice a year

Robocop 1, various versions of Blade Runner, Original Planet of the Apes films (usually followed by the modern ones), Mad Max, Terminator 1-3 & Salvation, Predator 1,2/Predators, once a year.

Fantasy movies:

LOTR (extended version), Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Excalibur, Godzilla films, Krull, Labyrinth, Legend, Big Trouble in Little China, Princess Bride, Dragonslayer, the original Indiana Jones trilogy, Time Bandits, Beast Master: once every 18 months or so

Horror films/shows:

I usually save horror for September-mid November. Usually old stuff, like 1980s/90s Stephen King films and made for TV miniseries, Hammer horror films (Drac and Frank), Universal black and white monster films, pretty much most of Vincent Price's horror films, The Howling, American Werewolf in London, Cat People, Bram Stoker's Dracula, The Thing, Life Force, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead., Candyman 1, Dreamscape, The Fog, Shocker, Saw 1-3, The Fly, Video Drome, Nightmare on Elmstreet 1, Halloween 1 and 2, Trilogy of Terror. Poltergeist 1.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I do the same thing. Even when I do beginning-to-end watch throughs, I skip the episodes I already know I don't like.

Guest El Chalupacabra

True story. I am in the middle of a rewatch of DS9 right now, and just started season 3. Unlike the other Trek shows, it pretty much hits the ground running, and I think of the shows and besides TOS, it has the strongest early seasons, and overall has the least amount of bad episodes. And it is more serialized, which helps it hold up better for modern TV viewing.

We do a rewatch of SW, LOTR, HP, some Trek, and a smattering of Alien/Predator movies at least once a year if not more. They're all kinda on default around here.

We made the 10 year-old watch BTTF for the first time 2 nights ago, and then he marathoned the other 2 that night as well. So that'll probably be in the rotation as well.

I think we rewatch Firefly and some Buffy/Angel and some Supernatural throughout the year as well. Firefly we'll watch all the way through, but the others we just kinda pick an episode or so because of some memory or conversation that popped up randomly and then might make it to the end of that season before moving on.

The Princess Bride, Willow, Stardust, The Neverending Story, E.T., The Goonies, Labyrinth, and Hook all get regular turns through the year as well.

Ha. Firefly was good, and I've thought about rewatching it, but it just never holds my interest enough to actually get past the opening. Same with Serenity.

I rewatch some horror films during an annual getaway with some friends, although I'll miss this year. I don't even try to do it when there's a baby under a year old in the house.

Otherwise I'll watch at least one OT movie each year. LotR warrants 5-10 year rewatches.

Original cast Star Trek movies average 1-2 every 2-3 years. Rarely rewatch Generations, didn't like any other TNG movies enough to watch more than once.

They don't fit the criteria, but I rewatch Psych and Veronica Mars no less than every other year.

I keep meaning to rewatch Firefly/Serenity, but then I interact with a Joss Whedon / Firefly fan and it puts me off for another year.

Why would you all of a sudden start interacting with other people?

How do you guys have the time to rewatch all this stuff. Wow.

Oh, by "rewatch" generally I mean, put on as background noise while we do stuff.

Guest El Chalupacabra

How do you guys have the time to rewatch all this stuff. Wow.

Oh, by "rewatch" generally I mean, put on as background noise while we do stuff.

This! And Insomnia. Also, I don't have cable.

I don't have the time to watch the stuff I do want to see and never get around to, let alone re-watch anything.

That being said, if, say, Freeform is doing a Harry Potter weekend, or TBS is doing a Star Wars weekend, that'll usually go on the kitchen tv to provide background noise for a few hours.

I don't have the time to watch the stuff I do want to see and never get around to, let alone re-watch anything.

That being said, if, say, Freeform is doing a Harry Potter weekend, or TBS is doing a Star Wars weekend, that'll usually go on the kitchen tv to provide background noise for a few hours.

I would guess that's what a lot of rewatching is. I also have gone through periods without much sleep over the past 6 years (3 babies) which leads to watching stuff. And I've been fortunate enough to have contractually mandated lunch breaks for the past 8 years. You can watch a lot of stuff broken up over 30-60 minutes a day. But even then, I don't have time to watch what a lot of people do.

Seth gets to call it work, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.